Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Best FS for Clyde under 2 grand

I should be coming into a little cash soon and I'm thinking of getting a FS bike. I'm leaning towards bikes with 4-bar suspension, because from what I've read they do a better job preventing pedal bob that single pivot.

Right now I'm leaning toward an Ironhorse Mark III comp 'cause the dw-link suspension has recieved good reviews, the people at mtbr.com like it, and I can get one near me for a good price.

I rode a Cannondale Rush and liked that, but it was the top end version. I'm leaning away from that bike because its single pivot and I would be getting one of the less expensive versions which will not have the same rear shock.

I've thought about a Giant because of Maestro, but not really researched.

Probably drunk right now

FSR, Giant, Fuel....

Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    I should be coming into a little cash soon and I'm thinking of getting a FS bike. I'm leaning towards bikes with 4-bar suspension, because from what I've read they do a better job preventing pedal bob that single pivot.

Right now I'm leaning toward an Ironhorse Mark III comp 'cause the dw-link suspension has recieved good reviews, the people at mtbr.com like it, and I can get one near me for a good price.

I rode a Cannondale Rush and liked that, but it was the top end version. I'm leaning away from that bike because its single pivot and I would be getting one of the less expensive versions which will not have the same rear shock.

The fit is more important than the brand at the $1,000-$2,000 range. So don't buy on brand. Ride a lot of bikes and pick the one that feels the best. In addition to the Iron Horse I would try to test ride these:

Specialized FSR
    Giant
    Trek Fuel

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yes sir. I got over eager the last week. I'm gonna settle down and ride a bunch. I like the advice about fit, that will be my first concern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Jamis XLT

Look a the Jamis XLT, Best bang for the buck!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'd like to buy as close to my house as possible, so it's easy to take advantage of free tune-ups, get part, and fix any major problems I can't handle (42, wife, 2 kids, dog, cat, fish, gotta work for these little time economies in my life). I've started researching local shops and what they stock. The current list includes:

Cannondale Rush
    Iron Horse Mark III
    Giant Reign

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I would go with the Iron Horse. Not sure how much travel your looking for but the Azure is a nice XC machine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My present thinking is that given my heft and evolving riding style, I want more travel and an All Mountain type set up. I rode a local trail the other day with some 2-3 foot jumps and drops and would like to do a little of that. Plus, I'll hold onto my hardtail if I feel like riding a bike with those more XC characteristics.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Smile Check out the Cannondale Prophet

Hey,
    If you are thinking about all mountain, go for the Cannondale Prophet 800 if you can swing it. Same frame as on the $4000 model Prophet but with cheaper parts. I personally have ridden a few Prophets and love the stiffness and ride of the bike. I have a Gemini right now since I love to jump off anything I can. But for a big guy go with the Cannondale Prophet you won't be sorry you did!

Bike to the Bone...
    My present thinking is that given my heft and evolving riding style, I want more travel and an All Mountain type set up. I rode a local trail the other day with some 2-3 foot jumps and drops and would like to do a little of that. Plus, I'll hold onto my hardtail if I feel like riding a bike with those more XC characteristics.
    The Reign and IH sounds great

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

If the Iron Horse Azure was a lighter weight frame I would be racing it this season the DW link is am very impressive rear suspension.From the discussion I've had with Iron Horse the tube set on the Azure will be a perfect match for a clyde ! And the specialized stumpjumper FSR 120mm travel is a great bike .With the C dale being a single pivot the shock is the more important than the other bikes that have a platfrom pedal design ( DW link / FSR horst link) because it relays totally on the shock for it's pedaling traits ( no bob)

Let's RIDE!

Good job!

Heckler is by far the best all around do all bike for the big guys....

Here is a picture of my 2004 Heckler built hevy duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nomad is my d.o.c.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm adding the Prophet to the list. I'm disappointed that the local Heckler dealer didn't mention it when I called to talk to them. All he metioned were Cakes and that the Blur starts around $3,000. I'll consider going back to them about this.

Glad to Be Alive
    Giants are real nice and a Stinky or Coiler would be cool too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There is a local Kona dealer, but when I spoke to them on the phone they didn't have any of those in stock..

The money is coming, so I'm gonna go ride some of these bikes in the parking lot.

mtbr member

Reign

I'd say [SIZE="4"]Reign[/SIZE] all the way.

For 2 grand you can get a pretty sweet Reign 2. Just around 30lbs. I think almost none of the bikes mentioned above will be that light. So you can climb really well.

You will bomb down too.
    TRUE 6" in the back, 6" in the front. It's the ultimate XC smelling All Mountaneer out there.

I think it's the best bang for your buck.

But that's just me. I'm a Giant fan, in case nobody noticed...

[SIZE="1"]oh, and I'm building up a Reign too... not that it influences me at all...[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

dirty trail dog
    Well, hey, I don't have a big budget and I'm looking at the Trance 3. I only ride XC so 6" of travel doesn't seem necessary. If I'm on a tighter budget, how does the Trance 3 measure up as a clydesdale rig?
    yep...

mtbr member

Trance.

If you are doing only XC, I suppose the Trance is good. I went witht the Reign, because the weight difference is minimal. So, why not have the extra travel. Right now, the way I'm building it, the weight will be comparable to a Trance 1, or at least 2.
    And it seems burlier. Well, it is burlier.
    I only test rode the Trance once. It felt really agile. I loved it.

The only hting that you might have problems with as a clyde is the crankset on the Trance. I think they come with the Race Face Ride. Which is not bad - but an Evolve would make a huge difference. It will last a lot longer.

So, to answer your question - I think the Trance is perfect if you're doing only XC. If you want an All Mountain rig, some fast rocky descents, ruts and drops - then go with the Reign.

Cheers!
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The only downside of the Reign is that the rear shock is exposed to debris kicked up by the front tire. As I understand it, Giant will be adding a protective cover to all '07 Reigns and I think I read they are available for '06, but cost money.

The closes LBS to me sells Giants and has a computer program for fitting, but does not stock Reigns. I'll get fitted tomorrow, then test ride elsewhere. Another local dealer has an '05 Reign 3 on close out at 15% off.

This is silly, but I'll have to live with the bike for a while and I don't like the color of the '06 Reign 3, and don't think I'm gonna spend as much as it would require to get an '06 Reign 2 (but I might)...

I've got a local store willing to sell an Iron Horse Mark III Comp for $1400.

mtbr member

05-06

The 05s don't have the exposed shock problem. And I personally like the colour on the 05s better too.

The new 06s will come with a carbon shock protector. Check the Giant forum for pictures.
    They sold them without one - the new stock comes with.

My friend just got an 05 Reign 3 for $1600CAD - close-out. You can get them for a really good price now. It will be hard to get your size though... better hurry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Test ride test ride test ride

I can't say this to myself enough--test ride test ride test ride. There are so many great rides out there for us bigun's--my choice is the Sant Cruz BLT--espescially after a great test ride.

If you can--rent before you buy because a parking lot spin won't do you or your trusty steed any good--especially if you are in the "buying a new bike zone." Hands and palms sweaty, all giddy, heart rate up. Not usually a great emotional state to buy a bike.

No matter what you get--really test it out.

Bike Blessings,

NCG

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalgeek
    I can't say this to myself enough--test ride test ride test ride.

No matter what you get--really test it out.

NCG
    What he said, really.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    While I agree a test ride is best, they are sometimes not an option for those of us in more rural areas unfortunately. If I had to test ride a bike before I purchased it, my choices would be limited Cannondale, Trek, and Gary Fisher. To find a dealer that stock anything else would be a 1+ hour drive. Even at the 1 hour point, I may not find a dealer that stocked anything else.

When I purchased my road bike I did so on research alone. I don't even know how far I would have needed to go to find a stocking Litespeed dealer. I just this week purchased a hardtail mountain bike online. I would have considered that above mentioned namebrands but the area dealers will not budge from MSRP and did not have any selection of leftover '05 models. Since I was able to get so much more bike for my money I went online and again purchased a bike without a test ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    ... My friend just got an 05 Reign 3 for $1600CAD - close-out. You can get them for a really good price now. It will be hard to get your size though... better hurry.
    I can't believe it, high pressure sales tactics on the web.

P.S. I love that signature line.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I recently brought the Foes FXR it is the best bike for us big guys it is stiff laterally and the rear pedal platform is tuned and valved to your weight. I ride mine as cross country and some freeride. It climbs better than my SC Blur did. I also have an orange and the benefit of a stiff frame and a 20mm TA is also a must for the big guys.

dirty trail dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin
    If you are doing only XC, I suppose the Trance is good. I went witht the Reign, because the weight difference is minimal. So, why not have the extra travel. Right now, the way I'm building it, the weight will be comparable to a Trance 1, or at least 2.
    And it seems burlier. Well, it is burlier.
    I only test rode the Trance once. It felt really agile. I loved it.

The only hting that you might have problems with as a clyde is the crankset on the Trance. I think they come with the Race Face Ride. Which is not bad - but an Evolve would make a huge difference. It will last a lot longer.

So, to answer your question - I think the Trance is perfect if you're doing only XC. If you want an All Mountain rig, some fast rocky descents, ruts and drops - then go with the Reign.

Cheers!
    thanks for the info. I've not test rode a Trance, but before I buy anything, I'll test ride test ride test ride.

I'm not very worried about the cranks, because I'd probably move my XTR over from my hardtail. In fact, since they do just sell the frame, I'll probably just buy that and shift all my parts from the hardtail. I don't know. I'm still several months away (and a few work bonuses) from pulling this off.
    yep...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast