mtbr member

Best Clyde option under 1k?

Looking to get a new bike, haven't been riding in a while and miss it terribly. Looking to stay under a thousand bucks, weigh 280, 6' tall. Reading the "what do you ride" thread and am kinda confused in general. Any advice would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    What kind of riding do you plan on doing? A hard tail obviously will give you more bang for the buck, used even more so. 2014 bikes should start going on sale soon with the 2015's coming out. You might even find a 2013 on closeout at a local shop or still in a warehouse somewhere. I just scored a killer deal on a 2013 Cannondale a few weeks ago.

Do you plan to buy local or are you open to buying online? I've seen the Marin bikes on ebay recommended quite a bit and they seem pretty well equipped for bikes under $1000. You also have Airborne which are pretty well equipped too. My biggest suggestion would be to look for something with a good fork...an air fork. The rest of the stuff will be adequate for the most part. Maybe have the wheels checked by someone that knows how to build/true because machine built wheels and clydes don't mix well. At least if a human gets their hands on the wheels, they can check the true and tension to make sure things are ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Type of trails?
    Experience level?
    Agressive rider or relax and enjoy the view type?
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I just ordered an Airborne Seeker for $900. Every question I asked received 3 opposite answers. Very frustrating. I boiled it down to wanting a bike for non road riding. There are hybrids, dual sport bikes, hardtail mtb, and full suspension mtb. If this was my only bike I would have considered a dual sport bike, so it would be good on the road. I have a road bike, so this was mainly off road bike. I live in NE and there are a lot of rocks and roots on the trails. Ideal bike would be full suspension, but they are $1.8K+++. I decided on a hardtail mtb, with an air fork, 6'4", 250lbs. The airborne 29ers are hard to beat for price versus components. I would say the Seeker is one of the only under $1K bikes with an air fork

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    dang. their Goblin Evo is nice as well - Basically a Trek Stache 7 but $200 cheaper (which is what I just purchased a couple weeks ago)
    Airborne Bicycles. Goblin Evolution
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    I would say I'm a moderate to lightly aggressive rider, just getting back into it I will raid basic trails to get my stamina back up, but once I do...I will kick it up a bit. I would say mostly mild to medium trails, nothing crazy by any means. I'm leaning more towards a hard tail, I think it will be better for me, and I like the feel of a hard tail (Maybe I'm crazy lol). Thanks for the recommendations so far, keep em coming!

mtbr member
    The airborne route is looking pretty amazing, if I was willing to jump to 1200, would it be worth it? Basically, seeker or Goblin? And by the looks of it I would need to order it, then take it to a shop for assembly, don't think I could do it myself tbh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The option I've recommended a ton is on ebay- a 2013 Marin Bobcat 29 for about 600-650. No connection with listings.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    It has a Suntour Raidon air fork. 4.3lbs. 32mm stanchions. Maintenance free sealed oil damper.
    2013 Bobcat Trail 29 thread.
    Save the 600 for your next bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    From what I see on the Airborne site, the Goblin has a better set of brakes, next level up shifters, better rims, and most important better fork. I think it is worth the increased price. From what people who own them say, there isn't much that needs to be upgraded for quite a while. I bought the Seeker because I was stretching from the $600 Guardian and I am not a bike or upgrade nut (I own a boat, that's my hole in the ocean). Seeker owners seem very happy with their bikes as well. The extra $ for the Seeker over the Guardian gets a better performing bike. Not as much for the Goblin over the Seeker, except for the fork, as far as I can tell. You can't go wrong with either bike.

The Marin seems like a very good deal as well, assuming it has a decent air fork. I don't know. I would want to understand what warranty you get with a new Ebay bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bttocs View Post
    The Marin seems like a very good deal as well, assuming it has a decent air fork. I don't know. I would want to understand what warranty you get with a new Ebay bike?
    The Marin Raidon fork is equivalent to a Recon Gold like the Seeker has. It is way good enough for a couple of seasons of skill development. By that time you will be riding enough gnarly stuff for longer runs that you will be looking for rear compliance with a carbon ht like a Pivot Les or Trek SF 9.6 or a fs bike.
    Have REI do the assembly for $35 and the warranty is standard new bike.
    One upgrade for the Bobcat is M615 Deore brakes~ $115 currently from CRC. Which are much better than the brakes on any of these bikes.

mtbr member
    Both the marin and airborne are looking good for me I think, only thing left for me to figure out is what size to get...I'm 5'11", but wear a 30in inseam pants...any recommendations on how to figure out sizing? And thanks for all the help! Can't wait to get back in the saddle!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I called Airborne and they have instructions on how to measure yourself on their website. I caution you about the inseam measurement, when done properly it came out about an inch or two more than my pants length. Once you read it, you will understand what I mean when I say you really have to cram the book up there.

mtbr member
    The Goblin wheels don't look to be a good choice for a 280# rider. The KT (Quando) hubs are decent but the Speed Disc i19 rims are not very strong, and given they are certainly machine built and I'm pretty sure you'll be replacing them soon.

I would suggest getting the Seeker and then picking up a set of Sun Ringle Charger Comp wheels at $250 from Nashbar. Even with 28 spokes they are quite stiff and durable...with a bonus of being ready to set up tubeless.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog