Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best brakes for a clyde

If this question has been asked, I can't find it. What brakes are you guys using to stop yourself? I've used Avid Juicy 5's and Clark Skeletals and neither have been able to stop me very well. Now I'm looking to upgrade and I just want to be able to lock up my rear wheel on the trail. Now, I'm not planning on leaving long skid marks all over the place, but when I'm going into a switchback, it would be nice to be able to slow down for it. What is happening right now is basically I "push" (think like NASCAR) on the downhill switchbacks and no matter what I do the bike goes wide or I have to go so slow I just get left in the dust by the other riders because they can carry more speed through the switchbacks.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

Former Bike Wrench
    What size rotors are you using? Most hydros (and Avid BB7's) will have no issue stopping a Clyde, but you often have to use larger rotors.

I'm currently using Avid Elixir R's with a 203mm F and 185 R rotor setup. At my riding weight of 225lbs plus gear on a 29er full suspension I literally have single finger braking!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    What size rotors are you using? Most hydros (and Avid BB7's) will have no issue stopping a Clyde, but you often have to use larger rotors.

I'm currently using Avid Elixir R's with a 203mm F and 185 R rotor setup. At my riding weight of 225lbs plus gear on a 29er full suspension I literally have single finger braking!
    +1

I have same set up, about the same weight and a similar experience..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I satrted off at 290lbs and am now down to 225lbs and I have never had any brake issues running XT's with 203 rotors front and rear on a 32 lb. 6" travel bike.

I also had Juicy 3's on my previous bike with 203's front and rear and no issues for 5 years.

Run big rotors and half-way decent hydro brakes and you should be fine....

turtles make me hot
    I use Juicy 7's with 203 front and 180mm rear rotors. I weigh 255 and have no shortage of stoppage. I have a set of Juicy threes I use when the 7's are being serviced. Same rotors and they work great also.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    good to know....im getting these brakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    330lbs, just started riding... a cannondale trail 4 29er. It has manual disc brakes - just rode today and wow... I cant stop!!!

Do the hydraulic brakes make a big difference? if so, is it expensive to replace the manual ones I have?

now that i asked about the brakes, time to look at how to get a softer seat hahahah

turtles make me hot
    How big are your rotors? I've never had manual discs, but I would think they have more stopping power. Sounds like you need 203 on the front and 185 rear. I run that and when I weighed 288, I stopped fine.
    I like turtles

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mmreed View Post
    330lbs, just started riding... a cannondale trail 4 29er. It has manual disc brakes - just rode today and wow... I cant stop!!!

Do the hydraulic brakes make a big difference? if so, is it expensive to replace the manual ones I have?

now that i asked about the brakes, time to look at how to get a softer seat hahahah
    There is only one mechanical disc that is worth owning, the Avid BB7. With a 203mm rotor up front and a 185mm rotor out back the BB7's will have plenty of power for you. Hydros give better modulation and less hand fatigue IME of owning both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I recommend Avid BB7s with the organic pads, as long as you can run 203mm rotors. They don't have enough power for good modulation without 203s. Can't beat the price and simplicity, though. Dead simple to install and adjust for single finger braking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Try a traditional juicy two piston and a four piston Code or other mfg.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help folks. And my set up is 203 front and 185 rear. on my old hi-fi before going 29'er it was 203 front and rear with juicy 5's. I'm going to start checking out the four piston brakes and see if they help with the problem any.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Pads

One more help is aftermarket pads from company like EBC for their resin pads. An upgrade for sure vs the full metal standard on most brakes. Hekps elminate and noise as well and for $20 aprox....not expensive

I Strava Hamburgers
    I have a set of 11 Code Rs with 185mms. More then enough stopping power for 240lbs. I used to use 2010 Codes with 203s. At 300lbs it was more then enough to toss me over the bars if I wasn't careful. The only problem is that they weighed about the same as small bricks. The 2011s are XC friendly.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Ow!
    This is a confusing discussion. I am currently 255lbs, but was up to 290lbs at one time. Never had a problem stopping/slowing on trails, even downhill, except for a few times. Had trouble with old Shimano mechanicals (didn't stop as well as rim brakes), and had some Hope minis heat up on me on a downhill (should not have been using those brakes on a downhill).

Other than that, all brakes (Avid BB7s, Magure Louise, Formulas, Elixers) have been fine--slow and stop when I want to. I usually have 180f/160r, but even 160f&r is fine on cross country trails. Only bike with big rotors is the, well, big bike, with 200f and 180r. That is just for heat considerations though. Hydro discs are best for me, but I still remember how those Avid arch rival rim brakes could clamp down and send me over the bars.

Strange that Juicy 5s do not do the job. I guess try some of the other mid to high end FR or DH brakes, but maybe also check what you got. Need a bleed, or new pads, or better pads? Locking up your rear wheel should be easy for any brake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLD View Post
    If this question has been asked, I can't find it. What brakes are you guys using to stop yourself? I've used Avid Juicy 5's and Clark Skeletals and neither have been able to stop me very well. Now I'm looking to upgrade and I just want to be able to lock up my rear wheel on the trail. Now, I'm not planning on leaving long skid marks all over the place, but when I'm going into a switchback, it would be nice to be able to slow down for it. What is happening right now is basically I "push" (think like NASCAR) on the downhill switchbacks and no matter what I do the bike goes wide or I have to go so slow I just get left in the dust by the other riders because they can carry more speed through the switchbacks.
    Hope tech v2 203 front and rear......bananas. I weigh 295 and the brakes will stop me on a dime

mtbr member

I am the odd man out...

in that I still use and love v-brakes. I am 6ft 2in and 250 lbs w/o gear and have never had trouble stopping on any of my bikes. Avid single digit ti and Sram 9.0's on all my bikes. I have ridden almost everywhere, West, Midwest, South East, North East, Mid Atlantic with zero issues. I do ride all 29ers so that definitely helps . My 29ers w/ v-brakes stop better than my 26ers with the same v's ever did. Also a non disc rear wheel can be built up stronger than a disc rear. Forget the reasons why but have read several articles in the past about it. At my weight and the fact that I don't ride in the wet a stronger wheel is more important to me.
    Now, I don't expect the OP to use v's, just adding some variety to this thread.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    in that I still use and love v-brakes. I am 6ft 2in and 250 lbs w/o gear and have never had trouble stopping on any of my bikes.
    Good god man!!!! Stop living in the dark ages!!!!!!!!

j/k.... I am with you... I run Avid SD7 with vintage/original XTR V brakes.... more than enough power to launch my large ass over the bars.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 280 ish and the stock shimano hydralics on my Rocky Mountain vertex stop so well that if I'm not careful they could double as an ejector seat.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Shimano Saints, even though a bit $$
    8 inch rotors f/b.
    Loved them!!
    Specially all the steep stuff I rode in Nelson, BC.
    Could stop on a dime.......kind of.
    (6' 7' 240lbs)

Avids are to noisy!!!!!

mtbr member
    Hope Tech M4s. 183 F and R.
    Was 240 loaded - no issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    240, 6'6" here. I've used the following and they've all stopped me sufficiently. In descending order of power:
    Hayes Stoker Ace (203/180)
    XT (203/180) - Big improvement over 180/160
    Avid BB7 (185/160)

Just got a set of the 2012 XTs I'm putting on a build, and will be very interested to see how they perform with the new XT "Ice Tech" rotors.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought BB7''s with 8 inch rotors and was not happy until I figured out how you could shim the arm out for much better braking and control and now for me I would not even bother with hydro's. Just one more thing to go wrong with fluid and all.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I've recently been looking at the BB7's, my hayes mx2's are REALLY loud and annoying

Is there any reason for me to go 185 instead of 203 on the rear if the price is the same?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast