Thread: Bent wheel

mtbr member

Bent wheel

So I just got a brand new bike last week and managed to bend a wheel on the very first ride. The wheel is beyond being able to be trued.

The bike is an Airborne New Goblin with WTB Speeddisc i19 wheels. I'm a bit of a Clyde at 235 and I ride with a camelback. Is this something that I am going to have to fight regularly or was this just bad luck?

It bent on a fall, but it was pretty minor. I just let the wheel catch on the side of a heavily rutted single track and it yanked the wheel and dumped me. I came off and landed on my feet despite having been clipped on. But the wheel is toast.

What do you all think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Failing that early, with a fairly minor hit suggests a bad build.

Did you buy it from a reputable shop? Did they check wheel tension before they gave it to you?

mtbr member
    I had a friend close to your weight do something very similar on his new goblin and it didn't phase his bike. I'm going to go with bad build on the wheel or some other pre-existing problem.
    Last edited by Cotharyus; 10-01-2012 at 04:14 AM. Reason: point out his bike is also a new goblin

Airborne Product Dude
    Give us a call to discuss, thanks~
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Give us a call to discuss, thanks~
    I just want to go on record and so how impressed I am with Airborne as a company. I don't blame you guys at all for the bent wheel and I have to say that Eric went above and beyond to help get me back on the trail with no real obligation to do so.

I've already recommended an Airborne bike to a few of my friends and I'll continue to do so for everyone I can find as you guys are a damn good company making damn good bikes.

Before I bent the wheel it was the best ride I've had yet and the bike was the most fun out of everything I had ridden in my three months of bike shopping.

mtbr member
    There's a reason I recommended an Airborne bike to the friend of mine that upended that one like you did. I've never owned one personally, but I know several people who have, and they've always been a standup company. I'm glad they helped you sort this out. In my opinion, those guys make great bikes because they want people to enjoy riding them, not just because they want to sell bikes to people.