Thank a Soldier Today

Beginner class to Clyde? Some questions.

I'm in the Beginner class considering the Clydesdale wondering if this move would be an appropriate one for me. I weigh 202 lbs.

At the lower end of clydesdale weight scale, I had some concerns of being a sandbagger but reasonably I suspect since I only finished middle of the pack in the beginner class last year, the Clydesdale's will certainly have something to teach me.

What about my weight fluctuations? What if I'm weighing in at 197 at some point in the year. Is there a weigh in every race? Is there a weigh in @ the beginning of the year and is that the official yearly weigh in and it doesn't matter if you fluctuate? Honor system? What should be my outlook on this? Is it unethical to race Clyde if my weight happens to be 199 that day? I don't lose weight easily but I suspect races and training this summer will cause some. If I have to drink a few extra beers and eat a few extra slices of pizza Friday night to keep at 200, I'm not complaining.

I could be 180 if I really wanted; I got it to lose but I would have to change my lifestyle e.g. beers when I wanted and I would be in the top end of the sport class someday not doing very well at all against those skinny boys. Not sure if I want that when I feel pretty good at the weight I am now.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Gun5
    "Named must your fear be before banish it you can." -Yoda
    08 GF X-Cal
    08 GF Superfly (A Fisher called Wanda Su)

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun5ling3rX
    I'm in the Beginner class considering the Clydesdale wondering if this move would be an appropriate one for me. I weigh 202 lbs.
    Can you compare your times from the races you've done in beginner class to the finish times of the racers in the clydesdale class? If it's a more competitive class then it's definitely not sandbagging and probably a good move for you. If not, or you're skirting under the 200lb mark, consider staying in beginner.

29 some of the time...
    Sounds like you are teeterin on the edge of sandbagger territory

In some areas the clyde class can be motivational. I have raced it a few times in the CA Bay Area and find that the top 5 clydes would have made it in the top 10 in Sport class. In some cases the top 3 would have been on the podium in Sport. Point being changing classes to try and better your standing isn't really the best idea. Training and diet would probably do more for you and then there would be no worries on the class you race since you would be below clyde weight anyhow.
    Last edited by AL29er; 04-02-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spellin like a fellin
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    I've done races that had a weigh-in after the finish (wilderness 101 had it the last year I raced). If memory serves, you didn't have to remove your camelback, so you'd have to be way under 200 to DQ. Still, they made a point that the weigh-in was after the race.

I'm still on the fence on what I think of clyde categories. At some races it seems like another beginner class. At others, the winner of the clyde category still did pretty well overall. Whatever you are comfortable with I suppose.

Thank a Soldier Today
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Can you compare your times from the races you've done in beginner class to the finish times of the racers in the clydesdale class? If it's a more competitive class then it's definitely not sandbagging and probably a good move for you. If not, or you're skirting under the 200lb mark, consider staying in beginner.
    Not completely. In many cases and limited for comparison of only the two beginner races I pedaled last year, beginner courses are half of what the Clydesdale course are (same as Sport Class). If I double my time for comparison, there would have been atleast 2-3 Clydesdale racers (there are only 5-6 Clydes on avg each race) that would have beat me and I'm sure my second lap would have been much slower because I was really smoked after the single beginner lap.

Competitive? Don't know but it seems only up to 10 Clydesdale racers get enough races to count toward the championship points series each year.

I think I will have to see how my weight goes this year. I don't want to do the abbreviated beginner courses this year and if my weight is at or above 200, I don't think I'm going to worry about it unless I dominate. Again, considering my beginner performance of last year, that is probably laughable.
    Last edited by Gun5ling3rX; 04-02-2009 at 12:32 PM.
    08 GF X-Cal

Thank a Soldier Today
    So, I dropped more weight than anticipated. I happily went Sport class. Raced this past weekend; I felt good. Was not last, certainly not first. With no where to go but up, I'm looking forward to my first year in Sport. Thanks for your suggestions!
    08 GF X-Cal

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    congratz on the weight loss and the stepping it up to sport... if you where of weight the clyd would have been the natural progression IMHO being that it does the same distance as the sport class.

I'm planning on doing a few races next year... wish they had a clyds class in any of the local races grr...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie