long standing member

Bashring for Clydes?

I've bent the big ring (on the stock Truvativ OEM triple ring cranks) on my Hoss and I'm thinking about replacing it with a bashguard. I don't know how/when I bent it (well, I know how...I'm a lard-ass ) as I've been trying to be careful when climbing logs and log piles so as to not land on or put all my weight onto the big ring. I guess I didn't do a very good job of being careful . I do basic XC/all mountain riding, no trials or urban so I won't be landing on the guard while jumping/landing on concrete (well...hopefully not).

Anyway, I'm just exploring my options and I'm curious as to what other clydes are using. I did a search (in multiple forums) and didn't come up with much info so I have a couple of questions.

The guy at the LBS told me I could just pop off the big ring and bolt on the bash, adjust the F derailleur and I'd be good to go. Does that sound right? Will I need to add spacers or anything? Will I need (or should I get) a chain tensioner?

Which brand/model should I get? What material is best? I've got my eye on models by Raceface, e13 and Truvativ.

• The Truvativ is first on my list (it's the cheapest) and I actually like its clean look the best. I did read one negative comment about it, that it's "not that strong," but it seemed unsubstantiated and I didn't find any more info about it. It's made out of "polycarbonate". I'm not up on my materials. Is that carbon? Or some kind of plastic? Or is carbon some kind of plastic? Either way, I'm certainly leary of it's strength.

• The Raceface seems like it would be fine, they've apparently been working for riders on the North Shore so I guess they'll hold up under my all-mounting plodding. It's made of aluminum. It's not very thick (to look at it...particularly comparing it to the e13). Aluminum: stiff, strong...and the same material my big ring (that I bent) is made out of.

• The e13 appears to be the beefiest, but it's made out of "TuffMax thermoplastic alloy". Plastic?!? I know, I know, it's probably some kind of "space-age polymer" or whatever, but I can't help but be concerned that it will crack under my 260lbs+ gear.

Now, if I use the BG as a support (I.e. I put my weight onto it) will this overstress the bottom bracket, cranks or frame? I don't plan on doing that all the time, but I know during the learning curve of clearing technical features I'm going to have more than a few mishaps.

I posted this here b/c I'm interested in clyde specific opinions (plus, nobody is ever on the "Everything Drivetrain" forum). Any and all input is appreciated.

Patrick

Edit: I went ahead and X-posted in the Everything Drivetrain forum to see if I get any reponses.
    Last edited by PCinSC; 06-01-2006 at 11:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My first choice would be the E13, pretty much bombproof. There's a reason why you see them on so many DH rigs. I'm only 220, but have been running them for 3 years and cased it many times w/o issues. It has slammed in to logs, baby head rock gardens etc and come away without any issues.

E13 bashs are made out of a super strong plastic polymer called Makrolon. The nice thing about having this on the bike is that when you scrape it on rocks and things it slides very nicely, vs the almuminum bash which scrapes and sounds like you are dragging your frame over it.

mtbr member
    I just got a Dangerboy Mini and go 220.
    I was looking at the RF one as well but my LBS only had 5 bolt in stock.
    The Dangerboy one is beefy to say the least.
    Happy so far for sure.
    http://www.dangerboyusa.com/bashguards.php

If you are just taking off the big ring, you slap this on instead, then adjust your front derailleur to not allow shifts to where the big ring used to be.
    Another benefit is the increased ground clearance of the bottom bracket.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    The guy at the LBS told me I could just pop off the big ring and bolt on the bash, adjust the F derailleur and I'd be good to go. Does that sound right?
    Yes
    Will I need to add spacers or anything?
    No
    Will I need (or should I get) a chain tensioner?
    No, but you should shorten the chain which reduces chain slap.

I pretty much do the same type of riding as you, and the raceface bashring has served me well. When I was looking for bash rings last year I contemplated the E.13 as well but read on here that certain chain lubes can discolor and weaken it over time. . . . .

long standing member
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm leaning toward the Race Face. A LBS and a few estores have it in stock. And I want to support a LBS but I can get it for 40% less from an online source. If I have any issues I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks again.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Too bad they no longer make the Kooka Crankcase bashring. I've had mine for years and have put a great amount of stress on it, running up on boulders and such. The gaurd is just indestuctible.

Team Cspine

Keep your 3rd ring...

Sorry what?

Team Cspine

Close...

[QUOTE=DrugMe]Too bad they no longer make the Kooka Crankcase bashring. I've had mine for years and have put a great amount of stress on it, running up on boulders and such. The gaurd is just indestuctible.

http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_chainrings.html

http://www.salsacycles.com/component...ngGuard200.jpg
    Sorry what?

long standing member
    Sorry, I never updated this thread. I purchased the e.13 Supercharger BG (black). It was the most recommended on these forums, plus several of the bike shop guys recommeded it. So far it seems to be working excellent. I don't even notice it, which is the point. I've been able to clear larger logs and log piles that I previously was sketchy on much more consistently. The BG just slides right over the logs. Plus, I have a little additional ground clearance compared to a big chainring and that helps too.

I called e.13 and they did confirm that certain types of lube are not recommmended for this BG. Including the T-9 lube I was previously using. I just purchased a Park Cyclone chain cleaner to clean the old lub off and some wax-based lube to use in the future. Hopefully I haven't done any damage to the BG in the short time it's been on the bike with the "toxic lube".

Thanks again for all your input.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Try a BlackSpire http://www.blackspire.com the Big Ring. I weigh 275 lbs, 6'0 and you can't bend this thing plus you can keep your third ring, kind of the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob

That is pretty dang cool indeed , I want one now :-) actually I am also a clyde at 240 without gear and just found this thread , I was under the impression you won't loose the biggest ring when you added an e13 ring , but according to my bike shop I have to loose the big ring if I want a bash ( I love the third way too much to do that ) but this is just perfect. Know any other brands that allows you to keep your big ring ( 42T ) that will also ship to Canada . I am looking for something relatively inexpensive if possible. This one looks a bit thin though , I wonder how tough it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I can't answer much of your questions but polycarbonate is a type of plastic that is pretty tough. Its used in goggles and glasses as well a things like riot shields.
    "thermoplastic" is also going to be a plastic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by predator
    Know any other brands that allows you to keep your big ring ( 42T ) that will also ship to Canada . I am looking for something relatively inexpensive if possible. This one looks a bit thin though , I wonder how tough it is.

Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) sells a triple bash ring, and they are Canadian.
    They call it the Bashie 3.
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1150472037195

I was going to go with that but decided to go with a double to get better ground clearance on my Slayer.

I had actually bought the Bashie 2, but returned it and got the Dangerboy Mini from my LBS.
    I like it so far.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks MS MSP , exactly what I am looking for. May I ask why you didn't like the Bashie 2? Was it not strong enough or something? Finally a reason to get an mec card :-)

mtbr member
    Dude, anything will do - Truvativ, Race Face, MRP, no name, what have you. Unless you're hitting stuff at 40mph, which is an issue in and of itself, you'll be fine.

I go 260+ with gear and have had zero issues wacking RF or Truvativ stuff off rocks and logs.

It's just a stupid bash ring. Don't overthink it.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by predator
    Thanks MS MSP , exactly what I am looking for. May I ask why you didn't like the Bashie 2? Was it not strong enough or something? Finally a reason to get an mec card :-)
    You're welcome.
    I liked the Bashie, and brought it to my shop to be installed while it was already in for service.
    My LBS felt if was a bit flimsy (to me it looked as solid as the Race Face one the shop had in 5 bolt).
    Adding the install charge to the price of the part, getting the Dangerboy the shop had (free install) was a better deal.

The Dangerboy was a lot heavier and sturdier, some of the shop guys said they use it for trials.

Porbably overkill for me and I likely would have been just as happy with the Bashie.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8

Brackish
    I have both the E-thirteen and the RF on various bikes and neither has failed yet. The RF takes up less space and isn't plastic, and the E-thirteen is lighter. Numerous slams, crashes and bottomed out rollovers have never hurt either one and I've ranged from a svelte 215 to my current 240 while I've been using them. I personally think the RF looks cooler and I like the aluminum better, but I'm oldschool.