Thread: Bars and stems

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Bars and stems

I am looking for some suggestions on riser bars and stems. I am 6'6", 280, and do somewhat aggressive AM riding on an '06 XL Heckler. Current setup is 100mm, 5 deg rise stem and a 1" riser bar. I would like to get something that raises it up more and will hold up to some abuse. I tested a bike w/ a 25 deg stem and really liked it for the few minutes I rode it.

Probably drunk right now

What I ride....

Quote Originally Posted by Floggus
    I am looking for some suggestions on riser bars and stems. I am 6'6", 280, and do somewhat aggressive AM riding on an '06 XL Heckler. Current setup is 100mm, 5 deg rise stem and a 1" riser bar. I would like to get something that raises it up more and will hold up to some abuse. I tested a bike w/ a 25 deg stem and really liked it for the few minutes I rode it.

Thomson stem.

I ride an Easton CF bar. It's fine for my type of riding (light AM, heavy XC) on a 5-Spot. An AL Easton bar may work better for you?

banned
    I weigh 285lbs, ride a Moto-lite and haven't had any problems with the Answer Pro Taper Carbon paired up with a Thomson stem

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bars n' Stems

I have a Thomson X4 stem (110mm x 10 degree rise) on my Heckler, and a Funn Fatboy bar. The Fatboy is one of the widest high-rise bars out there... 2" rise, 28" width. It's stupid strong and not too too heavy. A word of warning -- use a torque wrench to install a Thomson stem, or just have the LBS do it. I've seen pictures of broken X4 stems. They looked... expensive and broken.

I have a cheap takeoff stem on my Karate Monkey, but I've been testing an On One Mary bar. So far I like it a lot, but I'd like to try a wider "alt-bar" (something like the Misfit FUbar). One thing I've noticed about the Mary Bar is that it makes riding along and climbing better, but it makes hard cornering a little puckery. Dropping the stem a centimeter or two might fix this.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've been a longtime fan of Titec bars and stems. I'm currently running Pluto 2" rise carbon bars with their Rip 3D Prolite stem...with 31.8mm oversized clamp for Aggressive trail riding. I'm 225lbs so maybe the Hellbent bars would be better for your weight...though the Pluto risers seem plenty stout to me.

Double-metric mtb man
    CroMag Fubar riser was a decent width with moderate rise and will take some pretty good abuse. Maybe the Easton Havoc?

I haven't come across a lot of really high rise stems....I am in the process of going to a Hope 10degree stem myself.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Bars and stems

Big Man...I would check out the Bars and Stems that Syncros has to offer. These guys been making bars for some time. I have a Syncros FL 100mm stem and s 6061 Alloy riser bar on my IBIS Mojo...I hit the scale @ 225 with gear..

Check em out www.Syncros.com