Thread: Bars help?

the giant.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Bars help?

Im a lightweight, but im 6'5" and i recently snapped a set of bars. the bars i used had about 30mm rise, with a high-rise stem. im not sure on the exact number of the stem, probably around 60mm rise. but thats not the point. im looking to buy 75mm rise bars to work with my stem. i have a set picked out, but am debating whether or not to buy them because of the enormous amount of rise. my back usually hurts from a long ride because im hunched over a lot. i have an FS so its not suspension thats causing my back to hurt. would the total of around 140mm rise be too much for a 6'5" rider? i have other stems that would work, but have no rise.

too much rise? im going with the bars i found because they are cromoly steel and have a cross bar built in for added strength.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/DM...ar/4000000734/

those are the bars. they will fit my bike.

i just need to know if the ride is too large or not. if the ride is to high, other bars that can fit me better would be appreciated.

Underskilled
    That looks strong.
    Soften up your rear suspension, that helped with my back pain.
    Those bars seem overkill, but if you dont mind the weight they should work.

the giant.
    im going with the cross bar design for that very reason- strength. and i dont care about weight. my bike is a tank. 36 lbs for a cross country bike. i want stuff on it that will last. and that will.

Scottish Rogue

Usa

Where can I purchase these in the USA?

Justin

the giant.
    im not sure for stores that have them in the USA. im just going to buy them off the internet. the fact that it isnt in the USA isnt a problem for purchasing it. buying it off the internet is no problem for the bars.

and p.s. those are the cheapest on the internet you can get.

mtbr member
    I have a set of those that I wound up swapping out a few months ago.

For one thing they are absurdly heavy, I don't mind being that I'm over 300# myself.
    The main issue I had with them was that they needed to be shimmed to fit a standard MTB stem since they are 22.2mm BMX diameter, because of this I found that they would slip quite a bit. There's not much worse than having your handlebar suddenly slip forward on a rough DH. This happened regardless of how much I tightened my stem. They were also seemed to wiggle around in the stem when standing and mashing. All these issues have to do with the need to use a shim and not the bar itself, although I'm not too sure about whether or not the paint on them contributes to the slipping since they're steel and can't be anodized.

On the plus side they definitely seem to reduce vibration significantly in comparison to aluminum bars and you can be pretty sure that you will never break them.

I swapped over to Azonic Ultracross bars and couldn't be happier. They're significantly lighter, still very strong with a cross bar and 25.4mm diameter so no shim. I do miss the vibration dampening properties of the steel bar sometimes though. The rise is about 1/2" less than the DMR bars and they're a bit more spendy.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...57&category=43

If someone made an unpainted steel 25.4mm bar with a cross bar and >60mm rise of wouldn't mind trying them out.

NJC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

this may help - paid spam

I am solidly into clyde territory and had Dean make custom titanium 3.5" (90mm) riser bars to get the right fit on my old bike. They are nice but I am selling them now that I have gotten rid of it. In any case, I would recommend Dean bars
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=33885&cat=14

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...can we get some more specifics on your broken bars?...

IMHO just about any AM (all mountian) oversized 31.8 bar should last a very long time... but with enough time any metal will fatigue and fail
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

29 some of the time...
    Gotta ride what works. Donalson is right in that we need some more info to offer better suggestion. Give us the details, or better yet a picture, of what stem you are running and if you have any room on the steerer to space it higher.

Biggest issue with high rise bars is that they have more leverage on the stem. Not just any old xc stem can hold them (as b_m_b indicated). A 2.5in rise dh bar is fairly easy to work with and 25 degree rise stems are out there. That is about as good as it gets with conventional parts. From there BMX style bars and stems are going to be taller, but you will have a heck of a time finding a 22.2mm stem longer than 70mm. At your height that may be an issue, esp with back pain already.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008

DMR + 25.4mm

Can't help on the back pain, but I run DMR wingbars. Initially I ran a BMX stem (22.2mm), but I needed more reach. I switched to an Easton Vice DH stem, using the DMR shims (25.4mm) and it's never slipped (big guy riding FR, trail, skate parks). Although not all stems are equal in clamping force, I'm 100% confident in my bar/stem set-up.

Tom P.

the giant.
    i was thinking about the dmr wingbars, but i decided that they had too much rise.

for details on the broken bars themselves, heres the link to the thread detailing the breakage. it has pictures, but you have to scroll down to see them.

Broken bars!

i have dealt with bars that have shims in them before, and bars that always slipped, no matter how tight i got the clamp. all i did was take a hack saw and rough up the bars and the stem clamp so there was an abrasive surface to grip. once i did that the bars never slipped again.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I've only had a bar/shim slip on old school single pinch-bolt stems. We used to clean them with alcohol or acetone, put a drop of cylindrical bond loctite on, and then they were good to go.

I'm hooked on the Wingbars now - when positioned a "hair back from vertical" they have a super comfortable up/back sweep! Since they provided all of my rise, I found it easier to look for a stem that only contributed reach. I was still reluctant to use the shims, but I've really punished them and a four-bolt front-load DH stem has held fine.

DMR measures rise from center-to-center, so they're not as high as some may want.

Tom P.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Okay, so general concensus is that if it's an oversized bar, it should be okay? I don't want a cross bar, would rather be in 31.8 territory. Ordering from Pricepoint, so a link would be killer.

the giant.
    im not getting the cross bar design. im going with what the lbs said to do. they think the 25.4mm bars are too weak for me and should go to the 31.8. so im buying a new stem and bars from them soon. should not have much trouble.

I always bleed like this.
    http://groovycycleworks.com/extras.aspx

Don't have a pair, but I am considering it and they come highly recommended.