Quiet Professional

Baggys for clyds?

So I am wondering who makes Baggies for clydes. I am still working on loosing weight. Right now I wear a 44" jeans with a belt. Right now I just wear a pair of cargo shorts but would be nice having a padded liner.

mtbr member
    Zoic and Pearl Izumi both make sizes that will just fit you and I believe Fox also offers a 44 in their Ranger Cargo line. I've owned all three and they all have their own pluses and minuses. I tend to prefer the Pearl Izumis due to their quality and great liner shorts, but the Fox Ranger was very lightweight and cooler if you live in a hotter climate. The Aerotech Designs brand also gets a lot of good reviews from other members here in the clyde forum.

mtbr member
    + 2 for Pearl Izumi, I have a 40" waist and wear the XXL Canyon Shorts the draw straps one notch tighter. I think Pearls 3D Chamois are the best, have yet to find another as comfortable...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a pair of Aerotech shorts that I quite like. They have a full range of sizes.

mtbr member
    I wear Endura's humvee baggies, which are supposed to fit up to a 44" in an xxl. I'm a 42" waist this time of year and they fit, but not with a lot of room to spare. I would definitely try on a pair before buying them. I've got a buddy our size who just wears dickies over a pair of good road shorts. I've gone that route as well and it's not bad.
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    So I am wondering who makes Baggies for clydes. I am still working on loosing weight. Right now I wear a 44" jeans with a belt. Right now I just wear a pair of cargo shorts but would be nice having a padded liner.
    OP-check your PMs.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Check out Aerotech, great USA made quality and fair prices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is it worth getting a pair of baggys or just getting some bike shorts meant to be worn under other shorts? I currently just run them with some cargo shorts over them and haven't had any issues and love the padding and support, would there be much of a difference?

mtbr member
    I've done both and Bike short tend to not get caught up on the seat when sliding off the back during technical descents but I think the only time it really matters is when it's hot and the moisture wicking/breathability comes into play...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Makes sense, and since I'm in TX, breathability will definitely be something of need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was wondering the same thing. I really like the Jetta shorts but they don't really have my size except 1 pair at $150.

mtbr member
    I got a pair of Pearl Izumi Divide shorts in XXL over the net. I'm a 42" (and dropping) and they are freakin' huge on me, waaay too big. Was gonna send them back but meh, they can be adjusted farly well down to 42. But if you're 44-46 inch waist they'd fit easy.

Zoic's are big too, very nice shorts.

mtbr member
    Good bibs plus [insert your preferred shorts here]. This is the standard in clyde comfort. Purpose built-baggies generally cost too much and/or compromise on chamois quality/fit for "style".
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Size 50 any recommendations I have been wearing sweats but summer is coming in Alabama and want some shorts Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have been using the pearl izumi liner bibs with cargos or board shorts or what ever I feel like that day...even in the mid 80s here in TN I can already tell that they are gonna work just fine when it gets even hotter

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just got a pair of commuter knickers from Aerotechdesigns and am super happy with them. Fit well, stretchy waist band with belt is very comfortable, and build quality seems very nice. Wouldn't hesitate to buy other stuff from them.

I've tried some big shorts from Bike Nashbar and they were cheap but cheap quality also.

mtbr member
    I picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts off Amazon last week. I'm pretty happy with them so far. I wear a Levis in a 44" waist and the XXL shorts fit. Pretty cheap on Amazon too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I wear Novara padded bike boxers and whatever shorts/pants I want. They're $20 at rei and go up to a xxl. I wear a Large in them and usually a 40 waist in jeans and shorts.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    If you like your cargo shorts, just buy a pair of road-type lycra short underneath.

Another possibly is trying hiking shorts (Columbia, for example) while wearing padded cycling shorts underneath. Most of my cycling wear actually fits into this category. Unlike cotton, hiking shorts breathe and don't stay wet.

With some brands, it's really a crap shoot. In-store brands (like from Performance) seemed to be sized smaller.

I've also had good luck with Pearl Izumi baggy shorts.