Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Mai
    mtbr member

Baggy shorts for a clyde

I'm looking for some baggy shorts that fit. Everything I have looked at seem to be cut small. I wear a 38-40 waist

Chris

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

Riding or Fishing
    www.aerotechdesigns.com
    I recently bought a pair of Adidas Schley shorts from chainlove.com that I absolutely love in XXL. Unless you can find em on a close out, they are pricy.
    I about the same size as you, maybe a touch bigger.
    Hoss Ponderosa's are available in big sizesas well
    www.hossmtb.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wear 40" jeans and khakis (my actual waist measures around 45" round) and like the Hoss Ponderosa XXL. They have good customer support as well.

Mai
    mtbr member
    What about Endura Hunvees?

29 some of the time...
    I am in the same boat waist-wise.

I have tried endura liners and the xl was a bit snug. The best loose shorts I have run are the Fox Epic shorts in a 38in waist. I actually have to run them snugged tight in the expanders not to lose them. I was just on the fox site (http://shop.foxracing.com) and it looks like the epic is no more. They do have Seargent shorts available up to 42in waist and Attack short to 38in.

I have heard good review of the Hoss shorts, but have not tried them.
    Last edited by AL29er; 03-13-2009 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Mai
    mtbr member
    AL
    I might try the Fox. I

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hoss Ponderosa...Just bought a pair and love them. They run slightly small though so get one size up.

Fat guy on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by medik13
    Hoss Ponderosa...Just bought a pair and love them. They run slightly small though so get one size up.
    Even Hoss are small on me. They fit but are hard to get on. I'm talking xxxl with my 42" waist. Its probably a body shape thing, my legs are massive, not just my gut.

REI (Novara) XXL seem to fit really well. They have a couple models worth getting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have to throw in another vote for the Hoss Ponderosa shorts. I have 2 pairs now one in black and one camo pair. I have a 38-40 waist and wear the XXL's cause they do come a little small but I have found them to be way easier to get into than the super tight Fox shorts plus they are way cheaper. Price Point is selling the for 45 a pair right now, that is where I got the black camos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Unlike you guys I have to +1 for www.aerotechdesigns.com . I'm a little larger but they have what I need.
    Larry

SS XC Junkie
    I wear 40 waited dress pants and 38 waited blue jeans. The 38 waist Fox Downhill Mid Rangers fit me perfect. With that said, if I were any bigger in the waist they'd be snug.

mtbr member
    I have a 36" waist and XL Humvees fit me just fine, so the XXL may work for you.

Dirt Deviant
    I find the Ponderosas to fit even smaller than 1 size, maybe 2 sizes. It's crazy. But they are great shorts.
    My waist is 44, but I've always had to get 46 pants so my legs fit in em. Most shorts I wear a 44.
    I had to get the xxxxl ponderosas. Crazy! I wear a XXL in almost any atheletic shorts. XXXL if they are crazy tight.
    Hoss makes great stuff. I originally ordered 3xl and they were way too tight. I contacted Hoss, and they sent me the 4xl with a return label to send the 3xl back. Didn't cost any extra. They are a great company!

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Has anyone had any luck with the larger-sized Performance Bike baggies (and jerseys) or are they something we should stay away from? How about some of the REI house-brand baggies?

I ask only because of price (I'm cheap), convenience (I'm lazy) and sizing (I'm fat.... xxxl).

Fat guy on a bike
    There's nothing wrong with them. The material isn't as nice as Pearl Izumi or some of the other higher end brands, but they fit. The Performance XXXL jerseys fit my 50" chest, 40 inch gut pretty well. I've been riding mostly a REI pair of baggies since last summer and no problems yet except i am losing weight and might need another pair hehe.

Hoss XXXL doesn't fit me all that well. Its loose at the waist but doesn't fit my thighs or legs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm really big too and you should try www.aerotechdesigns.com . I'm also thrifty and aerotech has sizes to fit all and reasonable prices too. You can order on line 24/7. Check them out, they have all kinds of bike stuff.
    Larry

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Thanks, nuggets, I'll give the site a look. Mordy - I appreciate your feedback and look forward to trying out some of the stuff from Performance.

turtles make me hot
    I have a 40" waist and XXL Humvees are tight. They're also a little snug on my legs. I think they're made in Scotland, so it's a Euro cut.
    I like turtles

Mai
    mtbr member
    I got some Nike ACG in 40" with a pair of Fox tights and they are working great

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    While at a LBS yesterday I came across a pair of XXL Humvees, and, while there was no chance that they would fit me, I *really* liked the look, feel and apparent quality of the baggies. I guess it gives me something to which I can aspire...

In the meantime, I'll be going with a couple of pairs of Performance Bike 'Boulder' baggies and their mtn L/S jerseys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I got to say. I'm a 42 waist. And I never find anything that fits me right in the LBS. Plenty of the Specialized or Cannondale Grinds fit around the waist (almost too big) but the legs are always too tight when you get into a cycling postion.

The closest short that I found that fit great was the Trek series and they just were a terrible quality short. I ended up swapping them out twice becuase they fell apart with in days of wearing them. Finally just returned them.

The best thing that's worked out for me has been the baggy style swimshorts. I've gotten 4 or 5 sets from Marshalls/TJ Maxx. Simple Black or Grey (Nike, Billabong) for dirt cheap.
    Less than $20 each for the shell and just wear a camoise lycra under them.

I've done a whole season of DH on 2 pairs that are still going strong and just picked up 2 more at Marshalls today. They are light strechy and quick drying. And even if they rip or get wrecked, they are cheap enough, i could care less....

I'm done looking at expensive cycling shorts that don't do what I need....
    Last edited by tonyl11; 04-03-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Interesting. I'll have to check out my local discount stores and see if I can make something like that work for me.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's a wise move. I took the same approach and got a couple a pair of basketball shorts and they worked great with a pair of lycra shell underneath. Like you said, quick dry and very durable.
    Larry

mtbr member
    I wear a 40" jean and my LBS had a pair of Trek baggies in XL that fit me like a glove.

However, the liner shorts are very snug around my thighs. I guess I'm lucky. I carry almost no weight on my legs except muscle. All my extra "padding" is in my torso. Anyone with extra in the thigh area would probably find them a bit small...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Check out www.mtborah.com and click on their + sizes. I'm 48 inseam, I bought a few pairs of their XXL baggy shorts and they fit perfect. That was 4 years ago and I still have them and use them, so the quality isn't bad either.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast