Trail Cubist

Bad power-to-weight ratio = BUMMER.

Okay...I'm starting to get really bummed over my lousy power-to-weight ratio, and it's motivated me to (finally) start seriously counting calories in an effort to drop some weight. (My goal is to drop 14lbs in 14 weeks.)

I'm 5'11", 48 years old and weigh 224lbs. I'm far from being "soft and pudgy." Most people who look at me say "Wow, I wouldn't have thought you weighed that much."

I definitely have a bit of spare tire I need to get rid of (I'm sure that's worth 5-10lbs at least!) But before getting into cycling, I was a whitewater kayaker for many, many years. I was also a whitewater racer (slalom). As a result, I have huge back and shoulder muscles (whitewater is almost all upper body). And those over-developed back and shoulder muscles are a liability when mountain biking! (My upper body likely weighs a lot more than most other MTBers I know.)

I've been road and mountain biking for a while...and I have strong legs...but even though I've more-or-less stopped paddling whitewater, I'm still having to haul all that upper body mass around on the bike...and it sucks—especially on climbs.

I'm not using this as an excuse—I could certainly rider harder, longer, and more frequently...but I'm getting tired of being dropped on climbs by guys whose upper bodies look like a thin girl's upper body! (I don't see many mountain bikers with beefy, muscular arms and shoulders...)

Anyone else in this predicament? How are you dealing with it? Losing weight? Riding more?

Scott

PS - Kinda funny...whitewater paddling is the exact opposite of cycling—the people who are fast in kayaks are totally "V" shaped—they have big muscular shoulders, back and arms...and tiny little stick-like legs! LOL
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

I Strava Hamburgers
    .but I'm getting tired of being dropped on climbs by guys whose upper bodies look like a thin girl's upper body!
    What goes up.. must come down. The extra weight can be an incredible advantage when looking pass on some downhill sections.

Also having a well developed upper body leads to better cycling over all. You'll find yourself less fatigued after long rides, and you'll be much better technically after a day of beating yourself up.

Do enough biking and your legs will catch up.

Don't worry about the little guys on the climbs. Technical riding skill and being quicker on downs can close the gains they can make on a hill in relatively short time.

Also, race your own race. Beat yourself, and you win.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Trail Cubist
    Thanks 14Stone—that makes me feel better! LOL Come to think of it, I've never had a sore or tired upper body after a few hours of riding...so maybe that's true.

I'm still gonna try to lose some weight...but I'll keep riding. I think I mainly need to ramp up the ride lengths/distance. All my rides tend to be in the 1-hour range, mainly because it's tough to find time to go for longer rides. (I'll have to negotiate with my S.O. to be able to get away on weekends for longer rides...)

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

Trail Cubist
    (Dangit...sorry about the double post—browser and/or Internet got glitchy and I couldn't tell if it posted the first time!)

Thanks 14Stone—that makes me feel better! LOL Come to think of it, I've never had a sore or tired upper body after a few hours of riding...so maybe that's true.

I'm still gonna try to lose some weight...but I'll keep riding. I think I mainly need to ramp up the ride lengths/distance. All my rides tend to be in the 1-hour range, mainly because it's tough to find time to go for longer rides. (I'll have to negotiate with my S.O. to be able to get away on weekends for longer rides...)

Scott

I Strava Hamburgers
    Riding longer sometimes isn't the solution. Riding harder is

I have an hour and a half in my evenings. If I'm biking to clear my mind, I don't do much other then some trail and a couple of hill climbs but I'll stop and just take some time for myself when I ride. On days where I'm aiming to damage myself I hit hills hard, and in repetition. I'm not there for fun, I'm there to destroy my quads. I do about 2 of those a week and I find its helped me keep up to the smaller guys on the hills.. or at least gives me the perception that I am anyway.

Just ride. Believe me, if you're in the shape that you're saying you are, you're already ahead of a lot of clydes. Most of us have incredible leg power from hauling around the frames that we do, but weak upper bodies from not paying enough attention to them. Not speaking for all clydes, but I noticed the massive difference, and spent a lot of time on core and chest this winter to offset.

First 35KM(20Mile) ride of the spring was yesterday and I already noticed a massive difference in how I handle a bike and how easier I find climbing.

You're in a good boat, any mileage you do is going to be beneficial.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Trail Cubist
    I guess the truth is that even if I can descend faster...and even if I'm a solid technical rider, I still can't shake the idea that climbing is everything. It's just depressing (for me, anyway) not to make it up a climb without walking—especially when smaller guys cruise right on up.

So yeah, I think doing hill reps is something I should try. I think the trick is finding a hill that I can actually ride up but isn't too easy (one where I can make it but I'm definitely sucking wind and feeling it at the top).

The other challenge I find with climbs (I guess everyone does) is when it's a rocky climb. Rocks (e.g. babyhead-sized rocks, loose rocks, roots, ledges, etc.) on a climb seem to double or triple the perceived effort it takes to get up...and if there's a serious waterbar or log near the top, forget it! LOL

The trail system I ride regularly has several climbs like this—very steep, pretty long, and loose and rocky. I get maybe a third of the way up one and run out of steam...and maybe two-thirds of the way up the other.

I don't think my problem is a low pain threshhold...my legs just give out.

Scott

I Strava Hamburgers
    When I first started last year at the tender weight of 312lbs, I was barely able to make it up some hills without heaving for like air was going out of style and seeing stars half way up.. Those hills I now use for repetition climbs, and it feels good.

Climbing is most definitely not everything. It FEELS like it is because downs are so much faster then up, but if you get down that fast, then you're doing something right, ups come as the engine gets worked on.

No joke, the first race I went to last year, a guy passed me on a hill, I swear his back tire was spinning like a dirt bike, and he was literally eating a power bar and riding one handed. I got a good chuckle out of it, got off my bike, and walked up the rest of the hill, It shouldn't be depressing or discouraging. They're racing their own race. Race yours to the best you can... pending you're racing.

If you're just out on the trail, then forget em. Find something you wanna get good at, and get good at it

I race cause I like challenging myself. If someone passes me and they're a good rider, I learn from them by watching how they take their lines through the rough stuff, and I try to mimic it. If they're not technically sound on their down.. I'll go around them half way down.

Once you get over the "gotta be faster then the small guys" mentality, you'll start getting faster then the small guys cause you won't care half as much as they do about being faster then the big guys.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I'm 6'3"/220 and some what lean, big chest, and big, long arms. I also paddle alot, not much that's classed though. I learned to spin faster, not crank harder. Now I only get out-climbed by a 5'2"/100lb girl. Lol
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez