AUGER-N
    Dec 2005

Back in training--questions

I have been an active cyclist for most my life. I have packed on the poundsin the last 9 years. 257 at my highest after a work injury. I am 5'9" for reference. I have through diet and exercise droped to 240 in the last couple months. I seem to be dropping 3 pounds a week. I recently went from a single speed to a new 29'r geared bike. Here is my issue. I have been back on the bike pretty hard for about 3 weeks. I end up pretty tired on some "recovery ride" days. My quads seem very sore. I took 2 days off an rode with my six year old. Man my legs were sore after that! I am thinking maybe I need to play with my seat position. have any of you guys experienced this? It just does not seem normal to me. I also just wonder if I am going harder because of the geared bike. I am sitting and spinning more? I think I am answering my own questions by typing this. I am riding 3-5 days a week. One really hard day a week 2-3 moderate and a day or two of just cruising with my son. I would love some insight. I want to hit some races by the end of the year. I could use some insight. Thanks guys. This forum has helped me along alot.

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    I am chalking up my seat position as the cause of my sore quads. Maybe I am going too hard too soon as well. I am planning a good ride Staurday so i am taking a few days off. Not really by choice. My wife is a nurse and we have a new baby. Not much I can do when she works!

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

recovery

After entering the fold again with a 10 year lay off at the grand age of 45 i found that recovery was the biggest change i had to make to my trainning.

I bike train 3 days and crosstrain elliptical and light weights 3 days.

During the 3 days for biking I have one ride 13 to 40 miles off road or 20 -60 on road. I "ride" this..........dont train just ride................sometimes its really slow sometimes its pretty quick ...depends on who i am riding with .....but i always make sure I "enjoy" it.

The other bike and elliptical sessions consist of 80%-85% max HR for 30-45 mins (plus warm up etc.)......intervals, long hills and sometimes 65% -75% fat burners for 1-3 hours depending on how i feel. I find the turbo VERY usefull for some sessions and the road bike that i have just bought makes some sessions more easily attained. (try riding at a constant 60% HR on a mountain bike in the woods....very difficult unless you have some long fireroads).

I monitor everything i eat and log the excerise at "fitday.com".........it works for me......I keep a 800-1200 calorie negative and lose about 0.5 lbs a week

My HR monitor is the best piece of kit i have bought.......I am old skool .....so training with watts/power is new to me although my turbo trainer does give a read out that i have started to take notice of ........but still compare it to my HR.......

I make sure when I ride i ride , when I train i train (sometimes it dosn't feel too good at 85% max HR or 20 second sprint intervals ) and when I rest i rest.

Depending on your age , you may need to rest every other day to start with....nothing wrong with that. Maybe use your cruising time as a rest day...(make sure old grannies are passing you if it is a rest though!)......... get your saddle height sorted and make sure your spinning (cadence 70 -90rpm......I find it very difficult to spin at 90 so I keep it at 70 -80 but no grinding on the flat ....me kees are told old!!!)

Hope this helps.........

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Thanks it does help. I dug out my heart rate monitor this weekend. I have been going pretty hard. I rode my local trail and my HR was in the 170's! I believe my LT is 164. I am relearning a lot of this basic stuff. Right now I am keeping my calories under 2000. I am losing 3 lbs a week. Most of all is fun! I rode a trail last weekend that I have not rode in over ten years. It was HARD. I used to fly around that trail. I am 38 for reference.

mtbr member
    Remember that muscles need rest to repair and grow. If you over do it you may end up "overtraining" which could lead to injury. I would take some time off as you see fit. Just a couple days here and there with out ANY riding to give your legs some time to recover.

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Thats whereI am at right now. Burnt legs. I will be back on the bike Saturday for a gnarly 20 miles or so. FUN! I did 4 hard days in a row. I think I just over did it. Need to tweak my position on the new bike and get back on it. I guess I need to be smarter.

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Thats where I am at right now. Burnt legs. I will be back on the bike Saturday for a gnarly 20 miles or so. FUN! I did 4 hard days in a row. I think I just over did it. Need to tweak my position on the new bike and get back on it. I guess I need to be smarter.

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Whooo Hoooo! I just thought I would update. I have raised my seat up 30 mm and back 10mm. My seatpost was very slowly creeping down. What a difference. I feel like my legs are coming back. I have been riding a challenging trail once a week. It has been a 19 mile suffer fest! I rode my local trail that is pretty flat. It was like I could fly. No matter how much it hurts. No matter how much you feel like you are so out of shape, it will never come back. When you feel like you weigh to much to be a mt biker. Dont give up. It get better and you can get lighter. You just gotta wanna.

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

well done

Well done!

Its not easy is it ....but it gets there slowly. I have another year or so before i will get to where i want.....but most of my mates who lost 30 - 40 lbs very quickly simply by not eating much have ....of course....put it back on.

Fat guy on a bike
    Don't forget post ride nutrition. After intense rides you need to refuel and give your body something to rebuild and grow new muscles. Lean protein and lightweight carbs.