Humpmaster general

Azonic Outlaws ?

I broke the stock rear hub, on my 2004 Stumpjumper FSR and I had a problem breaking spokes on the rear wheel at the end of last season.

At 225, and with a non smooth riding style, I guess I am too heavy for the wheelset.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Azonic Outlaws, and at $250 a set they seem like the strongest $250 wheelset out there.

I am looking for strength, I donít want to break a rear spoke or hub again.

1. The one with a 135mm rear is what I want correct?

2. It will fit on my Stumpjumper?

3. Will I still be able to run a smaller tire say a 1.9 or so?

4. What is the advantage to through axels?

5. Is there a better choice for a $250 wheelset, for what I want?
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes, but why? even going to a 2.1 will give you more cusion for the rims, and your but. plus, generally, better performance.
    4. strength
    5. at that price a handbuilt wheel is not out of the question. As a general rule, handbuilt is stronger than machine built, and a good builder will have no problems with a set of wheels for you. My local guy charges 25 per wheel for lace up, + spokes, or about 50 bucks + rim and hub. A set of XT hubs from Jenson for 80 bucks, and a set of Rhynolite XL rims for 60, plus your lace up cost is 240 bucks. I would rather do that personally... or your LBS may be able to get you an even better deal... either way, both options should do just fine for what you want.

Matt

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. yes, but why? even going to a 2.1 will give you more cusion for the rims, and your but. plus, generally, better performance.
    4. strength
    5. at that price a handbuilt wheel is not out of the question. As a general rule, handbuilt is stronger than machine built, and a good builder will have no problems with a set of wheels for you. My local guy charges 25 per wheel for lace up, + spokes, or about 50 bucks + rim and hub. A set of XT hubs from Jenson for 80 bucks, and a set of Rhynolite XL rims for 60, plus your lace up cost is 240 bucks. I would rather do that personally... or your LBS may be able to get you an even better deal... either way, both options should do just fine for what you want.

Matt

Thanks Matt.

I just got Jenson to price match the wheel set for $199.99

3. I feel like I can go alot faster on 1.9's I had larger tires on once, but I hated the feeling of resistance. I pump my tires up to max air pressure also.

4. Strength of the wheel?

5. I am going to look int that. I would just replace my broken hub with a XT and just do the rear Wheel.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Where did you see these wheels for $199?

The 20mm axle requires a new fork and is stiffer/stronger because its basically a .75" axle vs a .35" QR axle. The outlaws are pretty wide, something in the 30-32mm wide rim width. 1.9's might peform funny.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Thanks Matt.

3. I feel like I can go alot faster on 1.9's I had larger tires on once, but I hated the feeling of resistance. I pump my tires up to max air pressure also.

5. I am going to look int that. I would just replace my broken hub with a XT and just do the rear Wheel.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Thanks Matt.

Outlaws will not be a good fit for 1.9 inch tires. Outlaws are made for FR and DH use (Fatty Tires). Rhyno lites are still a stretch, bit are not as wide as Outlaws. 1.9 tires are for XC rims that are 23 or 24 mm wide. You can do it, but it would recomend a bigger tire.

More than likely you just need a good handbuilt XC wheelset. Get a reliable hub and a good Mavic rim and it will hold up to your weight.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Outlaws will not be a good fit for 1.9 inch tires. Outlaws are made for FR and DH use (Fatty Tires). Rhyno lites are still a stretch, bit are not as wide as Outlaws. 1.9 tires are for XC rims that are 23 or 24 mm wide. You can do it, but it would recomend a bigger tire.

More than likely you just need a good handbuilt XC wheelset. Get a reliable hub and a good Mavic rim and it will hold up to your weight.
    I just checked my old rims are 22mm. The Outlaws are 32mm. I will take your word for it causing a problem, I am back to square 1.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just checked my old rims are 22mm. The Outlaws are 32mm. I will take your word for it causing a problem, I am back to square 1.
    I recently got a set of Rhynos and had some tire problems too, though I wasn't running 1.9s. I had WTB velociraptors which have a small wire so they barley fit after much work and sore hands. I think my old rims were probably around 25mm. I loved the tread pattern on the raptors but they were to much trouble. I now run IRC mythos XC 2.1s which have a similar tread and the Kevlar bead slips on super easy. I think switching to kevlar makes a difference in being able to get them on. I also noticed the mythos weigh about half of what the raptors did. Not that I'm a weight freek but thats an easy way for a clyde to cut 2 pounds off a bike.

mtbr member
    I hate to bring this up, but I will anyways!! it is a pretty proven fact that on dirt, higher pressure does not equal faster rolling. it is, in fact, the opposite. for good grip and rolling resistance, you just have to find the best for you. If you are really worried, look into the reviews on this site, and see what tires have a low rolling resistance, but come in a bigger size. you may end up liking them better.

as far as the thru axle, the outlaw hubs are convertable, not strictly thru axle, though they are probably too wide.

The rhyno lite rims are 28mm, so about [--] that much wider than your rims. shouldnt be an issue at all if you go 2.1s, and probably not at 1.95s

As far as options. Look for any rim arround 28mm wide, it will work for you. look for welded if possible, but dont rule out sleeved and pinned. Talk to your LBS mechanic/wheelbuilder, and see if they can suggest anything. PM Call_me_clyde and ask him what wheels he was recomending. A while back he gave me a website that had hand built wheels cheaper.

Good luck

Matt

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Very happy with the rims, and hubs too. These rims are really good for going tubeless, at least it has been for me. I have them on my 09 Kona Dawg. I got the black ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Running tiny tires at high pressure and riding aggressively no doubt led to your wheelset's early death, I've had a set of the Azonic Outlaws since 2006 and love them. I'm a fat bastard at 350+ and they are still perfectly true. They also come with all the hardwre to run QR or through-axle which is very nice. I don't think these rims would be happy with anything much smaller than 2.25's on it though.

I've had decent luck with Rhyno-lites on my MB-4 too but I'm a "light" rider having grown up on rigids....and I'm old.
    I'm already ON the small chain ring!!!!

cycle dad
    My rhyno lites have behaved pretty well. Mine are equipped with shimano deore hubs (play from day one) and I got them through jenson. Seems they did a reasonable job with spoke tension considering I drop three feet to flat on concrete on a hard tail and my rims are only slightly untrue. The play in the hubs might actually help keep the rims true because they relieve lateral pressure. I don't know.
    I'm buying a set of used outlaws because I want better hubs and my wife needs a new wheelset.
    As far as tire width goes, there is a huge difference between 2.35s and 2.1s. 2.1s roll faster there can be no doubt, but cornering with confidence can lead to overall improved time and speed, and that comes from wide grippy tires.

Don't buy ryhnolite rims, xt hubs, and then pay a shop to build them. Buy them prefab from jenson for 130 and get them trued after fifty miles and they will be as good as any hand built set using the same components.