Thread: AZ tubby newbie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

AZ tubby newbie

hey all want to introduce myself. been doin alil reading on the forumn, lots of good info.
    I just got a 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper M4 from the GF dad. It was a big surprise to me! Well Im just wondering if the bike will hold up to my size..almost 6' and pushing 300 =( I need to get back in shape.
    Im really new to the sport/hobby so any input will be helpful and what will help me. Put a few miles on the bike, should I have bigger tires to help carry my load? they are 26 x 1.75 now i notice that the back tire kinda bubbles out when im on it. also what air preasure should i be running?

mtbr member
    Hi there. Welcome to the forums.

There's no reason that the frame shouldn't hold up to your weight, providing it's the right size for your height. Some of the components might be a different matter. Keep an eye on the rims to make sure that they're staying in true. Also, you might want to get some bigger tires. Maybe 26x2.0? That'll be better suited to riding on dirt anyway. As far as pressure...well, I wasn't quite as heavy as you when I started riding, but I wasn't far behind either, and I was running about 50psi in my tires. You may want to experiment with that a bit, though. It's a personal preference thing.

Keep the bike well maintained and lubed, don't take it off any jumps and it should last you at least until you get well and truly hooked on the sport and upgrade. Good luck
    Last edited by Swthrtsuzy; 06-11-2009 at 09:39 AM.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks!
    def. no jumps for me anytime soon! I just need to get the heart pumping again. I will look into gettin a larger tire to see if that help.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    looks like it should be fine for ya... the frame should be plenty strong... for basic XC riding... I don't know much about the fork but if you can get it setup for your weight it'll do a lot better job for you... if not you could always buy a newer fork... wheels are always something to watch with big guys like us...and as mentioned... you'd prob be happier with wider tires

overall it's a nice bike... I dreamed of owning a stumpy back when I was in HS... assuming it fits you well ROCK IT... and enjoy
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    oh... but those pedals are horrid... get something non plastic if you plan on doing any real trail rides...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

29 some of the time...
    Well, you gotta start somewhere. That is actually a fairly nice bike. Be sure to buy the man a 6-pack (or his prefered beverage of choice) next time you see him. Unfortunately it is more of a cross country bike, so the parts are light duty. That's going to mean that stuff will break and wear early under the load of a bigger rider. It's no the end of the world and I think it is perfectly functional to get the heart pumping again Just be prepared to fix and replace parts as you ride more and more.

Tires are skinny. Those are racing xc tires. If you want to continue to use them you will need to run 50-60psi. Otherwise you will be getting pinch flats offroad. Check the sidewall of the tire for maximum pressure rating. Should be able to handle 65psi or so, but check to make sure. In the long term you will be best served putting some bigger and heavier duty tires on the bike. Something in the 2.1-2.2 range should still fit the frame and fork. They will provide more cushion and be able to run at lower pressure (many benefits to that). A wire bead tire is likely a good idea since you are running higher pressure. Also wire bead tires are usually a bit thicker/ heavy duty all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Plus size jersey model
    That bike looks better then my first bike. Just be prepared, things will break and you'll have to replace them but its par for the course. Where in AZ do you live?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the great info! Im mostly doing street riding thru the neiborhood and horse trails in Sunburst farms. I live in Phx westside near 43rd ave and thunderbird.

Plus size jersey model
    Dang down here in Tucson and there are not a lot of other clydes here to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Don't be too specific about your address on line unless you want that nice new bike stolen. Be general. I'm about 350# and I'm doing just fine with my GT. I ride 1.95 but thinking about going to 2.0 or better. Good luck.
    Larry

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    would changing tire size require me to get different wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    Dang down here in Tucson and there are not a lot of other clydes here to ride with.
    Just ride with me once and you will feel real good about yourself. You live close to Sweetwater don't you?

Plus size jersey model
    I live downtown. I don't think we are ever on the same page when it comes to getting together for a ride. I am sure the stars will align. I could be up for Sweetwater next tuesday night.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lmdguy
    would changing tire size require me to get different wheels?
    no... the only limiting factor to how big of tire you can roll is what the frame will take... prob take a 2.0 or 2.1 with out any fuss... nice thing about bigger tires is they have more air volume and can be run at lower pressure (which smooths out the ride a lot)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    no... the only limiting factor to how big of tire you can roll is what the frame will take... prob take a 2.0 or 2.1 with out any fuss... nice thing about bigger tires is they have more air volume and can be run at lower pressure (which smooths out the ride a lot)

thanks you! I will shop some local shops this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well i install some 2.1 tires on the bike what a big change im loving it!