Thread: axle help

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

axle help

Hi, I just joined this forum but have been lurking for awhile. I need help. Ive bent 3 or 4 axles on my mountain bike now and I cant seem to find out if there are better axle to replace the ones I keep bending. Im not bending them in the usual way, Im pulling the rear sprocket foward, which in turn causes my rear tire to hit the left side of my frame everytime I crank my peddles. I dont know if I have to much torque with my sprocket set up or what? Bottom line is where can I find super tough axles without changing my set up? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can pull the quick release axel and go to a solid axel, this is the cheapest and easiest option. I ended up doing that last year after about my 4th broken QR axel and it held up well. It just meant I couldn't take my tire off without a wrench. I was getting sick of replacing the axel and the LBS was strating to look at me funny, so it was worth it at the time. If you want to keep the QR, your next best bet would probably be new wheels.

turtles make me hot
    Years ago, I broke a Suntour axle so I replaced the wheelset and used XT hubs and never broke the axle again. Maybe some downhill type stuff for you?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I thought about going to a solid axle to, but the LBS told me the QR axles are stronger. I decided not to argue the point because my bike knowledge is minimal, but I do know something about cars and you dont see cars crusing around with hollow axles. So maybe Ill try the solid axle. Im not breaking them, just bending them and Im starting to get to the point I dont know what to do!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got a fork with a 20mm thru axle. Problem solved!

Never tried a solid axle so I've got no useful advice...

-Bruce

turtles make me hot
    A tube is stronger than a solid. It's got "walls". Auto axles are solid because it's cheaper.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Apparently this hollow vs. solid axle argument is almost as heated as the ones against horses on the trails, and has been going on just as long. Not sure I want to fan the flames as it were, but here goes. The way I understand it is that a hollow axle is stronger than a solid axle of the same weight, so if the are both the same weight, the solid axle would be much thinner and thus less strong. Since in this case they are both the same diameter, the solid axle ultimately weighs more and is stronger, but I am not an engineer, just a geek with a bike and too much time on his hands. I also understand that material is a factor, with many inexpensively available solid axels being cheap steel, where the hollow ones are Cromoly which is stronger, giving the edge to the hollow axle.

Depending on the type of wheel you currently have, a new hub or wheel that gets rid of the freewheel in favour of a cassette is the best cure for this problem - see here at the end of the page. too much unsupported axle in the freewheel causes problems. JD, you don`t say what bike or wheelset you have so I am making a guess that it is an 8 speed freewheel, same as my old one. As a side note, my new bike has a 9 speed cassette, and I have had no axle problems. As always, your mileage may vary...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well I took a look at your link and I think it has helped me alot. I kept wondering if a free wheel cassette hub would be better because theres no dead space between bearings. The LBS said it wouldnt make a difference. Right now Im running a free wheel, I think thats what there called, where the gears and free wheel are in the same unit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    my bike, philwood tandem 36hole hubs, 14g spokes, rino light dh rims. not light on weight or price, but the rider isn't eather.....