Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Awesome wife says, BUY WHAT YOU WANT :)

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ero2 
#1 ·
Haven't rode, or picked up a bike since I sold mine when I found out we were having twins and wanted to make sure I had every penny I needed available for her, them, and my new family. Well, after 3 years, my wife says, we're in a good place, get that bike back that made you so happy! Problem: I haven't even looked, researched, read in that time either lol. Trying to stay around 1k price point...started at 295 2 months ago, already down to 260, and plan to get to 240 (220 if I can!) ASAP. Mostly XC, with little downhill mixed in if I run into one, 6". Recommendations please!

#2 ·
what's your budget? I know wife said "buy what you want", but if you come home with an $8000 Yeti SB6c, there might be problems.

also, you mention "mostly XC" then list 6" as the travel. Most XC are 4-5" at most. just trying to clarify. also, congrats. A wife who says "buy what you want" is a keeper. :)

#3 ·
with a ~$1k budget most are going to tell you to look for a hardtail, or a used hardtail for the best bang for your buck. (i recommend a 29er)

you may be able to find a used 26" full sus bike around that price? depends on your local used market.

#4 ·
A good hardtail with a solo air fork (32mm stanchion - RockShox XC32 or Recon Silver), Deore or X7 drivetrain parts (2x10 or 3x10), and ideally something that comes with wider handlebars (680-720mm for XC feel great) and decent wheels/tires (21mm internal width rims, ideally tubeless ready).

This will likely be a 29er, as they're quick. If you really wanted to all-out splurge, something entry level carbon can be really impressive ( Fuji SLM 2.4 LE Mountain Bike - 2015 - Performance Exclusive ) but there's a significant price premium on that because of the carbon frame... if nothing else consider this as a 'what to bench race if you blow your $1000 budget'.

#5 ·
ah, just saw your $1k budget.

for that price, you'll have a tough ttime beating a GT Backwoods Expert

Deore Hydro brakes
Deore drivetrain
XT Rear derailleur
XC32 100mm spring with remote lockout

nice wide handlebars, good tires

my daughter has one of these, and she loves it. I've ridden it around a good bit and it's a pretty impressive bike for the $$$, to say the least.

#6 ·
look into a fatbike! they work for everything you throw at them, Ive rode mine on dirt,gravel,mud,sand, and I commute daily to work... you can find a pretty decent one for less than 1k, or you can find a really niceone for more... ive got about 600 invested into mine and its almost the perfect machine lol

#7 ·
Thanks all, greatly appreciate the feedback! Yea, I'm totally expecting a hard tail, as if I went full sus for 1k as big as I am I'd prob snap it the next day...29er, although I've never had one seems like the route to go as well. The GT seems like a definite contender, any others. Yea, definitely a keep wife, and definitely gonna stick to my budget give or take a little, so that I stay kept as well, lol.

#8 ·
Another thing about GT's is the strength of the frame, I have been riding GT for years now. my original 1999 GT outpost frame is still going strong and I have had to replace wheels drive train breaks multiple times. I am currently riding a GT timberline that has been completely upgraded and is going strong.

#9 ·
My '98 Backwoods frame is still as good as new, and I was 300lbs when I started on it, fwiw. Too bad I can't say the same about the Judy fork it came with lol. Modern suspension forks are soooo much better than the 20th century stuff. These days I ride a Specialized Crave Pro. If you could spend up to $1500, I'd recommend looking at the Crave, but that GT linked above really does look unbeatable for the money. The only problem is it doesn't have an air fork...

#12 ·
Thanks again everyone! So the GT is my best option in the price range? Hard tail is what I expected, but would like a decent front shock as well if possible. I definitely like the specialized too, but don't know if I can stretch that far. I heard some good things about airborne, and I always looked at the Kona Hoss but seems they stopped making it...

#13 ·
I'm not that impressed with the GT frames - they're great on $600-$800 bikes, but the way GT specs any mid to high end bikes has been a consistent disappointment to me.
The TK32 Coil fork would be enough for me to instantly 'no' that for anybody over 220lb, even with a new stiffer spring and putting some work/knowledge into getting it dialed, it's still going to be inferior to a better air sprung fork. Whomever decided to spring for a non-clutch Shimano XT level RD but cheaped out $30 to not get the air sprung fork and did the same with a super-budget 19mm wheelset needs a different occupation in my book. That price is great, but I'd have been happier if they totally knocked the fork budget to a Suntour XCT, shaved $100 off the price, but that would allow the end user to use the Suntour Upgrade to put a Raidon on it (which at $1000 total would be totally fine)... or just spec a Raidon/Recon Silver out of the box.

The Airborne Goblin Evo would be worth a look (or if the budget it tight the plain Goblin - more XC oriented; only spot I could ding the spec at all is on the brakes, and only because brakes are important for us 225+lb guys).
The Kona Kahuna (base) is another really worth a look - again very versatile geometry, and well specced.

I'd insist on at least a RS Recon fork, XC32 at the worst (if everything else is great) - I've found that cheaper forks feel noodly and underperform enough to feel lame. Wheelset - this to me is the biggest step up on the Kona models I've seen in person, and decidedly excellent on the Goblin Evo - I realize it's more money, but you're not buying a placeholder wheelset or a placeholder fork, and dealing with the slight lack of confidence from having major handling characteristics limited by budget parts.

#14 ·
To second what tehllama recommends...

GET SOMETHING WITH AN AIR SPRUNG FORK.

Coil springs that come in bikes are spec'd for the average 150 pound rider often... the front end will be garbage at 220. Once you rebuild the fork to have heavier springs, you have spent enough to buy an air fork.

That is all I have. I started back riding at 324. I got a Camber with the Reba up front and the Monarch in the back. I am not on some miracle diet... actually.... I haven't significantly changed WHAT I eat since I bought the bike, but now I am down to 279. I know I could lose faster if I went on a diet.... but.... yeah.... I am okay with my rate of loss....

#15 ·
And you have a great wife. My wife did the same thing for me back in 2012. She gave me a higher budget of "say anything under $5000" and yes I still ended up buying my 2013 Camber Comp at $2400 plus the $200 to replace the shifters with the new Gripshift X0. :)

#16 ·
A great wife indeed, and in trying to keep her around, would the Airborne Seeker be that much worse than the Airborne Goblin? Pretty big jump, and while still within her budget...if I came in a bit under it wouldn't hurt anyone if it's still a solid choice. Thanks again everyone!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.