Thread: Avid BB7

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Avid BB7

SO I just got some new BB7's and they work great in the mud, but they don't stop on a dime! It's like I have ABS brakes, unless it's wet, they stop great. Am I not adjusting it right or is that how they are supposed to be? They're 160's which might be too small? Should I go to a bigger one for the front? Should I try different brake pads?

I am 6'2 250, is weight the issue?
    If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerX
    SO I just got some new BB7's and they work great in the mud, but they don't stop on a dime! It's like I have ABS brakes, unless it's wet, they stop great. Am I not adjusting it right or is that how they are supposed to be? They're 160's which might be too small? Should I go to a bigger one for the front? Should I try different brake pads?

I am 6'2 250, is weight the issue?

I Have BB7's on my ride and they work great. i'm 235lbs and the stopping power is awesome!! you will need to set them up correctly and you will need to break in the pads for you to get the full power.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It seems harder to not set them up correctly, so I can't see what's wrong. I've only had them a week and put only a couple hours on them, I can't see the brake pads needing more than a couple rides to break them in.
    If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute.

EDR
    ride them hard on some d/h's if you can. At least with my stock avid pads the more they break in, the better they grip...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerX
    It seems harder to not set them up correctly, so I can't see what's wrong. I've only had them a week and put only a couple hours on them, I can't see the brake pads needing more than a couple rides to break them in.

also the pad material is different. when the pads heats up the better the grip

Tracking up the place
    Make sure, 1. you never touch the rotors or pad material...2. if you touched the rotor or used spray lube , you may have contaminated the rotor fix: papertowel/rubbing alcohol, the rotor..then replace with new pads.

Avid pads are great when not contaminated with oil ...body or other wise...But you should be able to lock them up w/o question.... if you can't they are contaminated.

After fix:
    Then ride down some small hill and apply steady pressure they will bed in...

I find that if under contact my brakes will "whirrr" when I apply the brakes, It tells me that that they are still in line, and have solid contact, I think the air between the the cutouts and the pads makes the noise...
    Good luck

weight is not an issue.....though i run a 7 out front and 6 in back
    Last edited by Haroow; 02-25-2006 at 06:50 AM.
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

large member
    Avid's take a bit more breaking in than usually. I just got BB7's two weeks ago and felt the same way. They lock on a dime now!

Bike Geek
    Love my BB7s - 7" front and back and I'm a very happy rider. As others have said, get the pads broken in and you're set. You also might want to make sure you've got the pads adjusted close enough to the rotor on both the inboard and outboard sides.

edit - Forgot my stats: 6'4", 250lbs
    Last edited by Rower_CPU; 02-27-2006 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im 230ish w/ a 7" front and a 6" rear. i love them.. they modulate really well but if i choose, i can be over the handlebars. hah make sure your cable tension is set right and the calipers are properly adjusted. then jsut give em some time

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm 270 with out gear and running 7" front and rear , they took awhile to break in but now they work great. I tend to use the rear more now because the front allmost tossed me a few times.

large member
    Haha! Yeah, once my front broke in, I tossed myself pretty hard once. I try and stay on the rear's now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    99% of us should just get BB7's. They are obviously a huge leap up from v-brakes, and I can't imagine hydros being worth the trouble unless you like to tweak and/or race.

As for stopping on a dime, I'm more concerned with breaking my fork off!. My 203mm rotors are overkill for XC even at 265lbs.
    undefined[SIZE=1]undefined[/SIZE]undefined

Slow, but thoughtful