mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Aspiring Rider...I Could Use Some Help

Hey y'all. First off, let me say that this forum and the clyde community in general is exactly what I've been looking for. The way everyone encourages and supports each other is simply awesome. That being said, I'm definitely one of you...6'5" and 320lbs. The thing is, I'm wanting to reduce my weight class from mega or ultra clyde (I'm not totally familiar with the lingo as of now) down to whatever the 260-270lb class is called. I am 26 years old and seriously haven't ridden a bike in 10 years at least. I'm just now wanting to get into cycling and needed advice. I have about $800 to spend on a bike (I'm not saying that I care to spend all of it) but I don't have any idea what to get. I will mostly be on dirt/gravel roads and paved streets/paths...I'm not brave enough to attempt conquering anything too hairy yet. Will y'all please give me any suggestions on makes/models? I've read several things about 29ers and they seem like they would work well, but I don't know. Thanks so much and I look forward to being an active part of the community.

slow uphill
    spend some time combing the threads and you'll see a good number of responses to similar situations that may help.

my advice? pick up a 29er hardtail. new, used - I'm indifferent. my approach was to buy something used and cheap so I could learn, and figure out more about what I wanted and how I would really use it, and then blow the big money on a new bike later. i think that approach worked well.

LBS closeout/2008 models are a good place to pick up deals... craigslist works well too

best of luck on the start! once the wheel is rolling it gets easier

mtbr member
    New Specialized Hardrock 29ers run about $600. New entry level 26ers can be had for $400-500. Of course if you look around good deals can be had on year end models and used stuff.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    I'm 26 yo, 6'2" and originally 320lb.. now nearing 300 after just a few months (3) of riding mostly paved (I know, a carnal sin). I have already regretted not getting a 29er, so, if you have the option, check that rout out. I ended up buying a Haro Escape Sport on a 2008 sale.. its a front suspension 26" bike, sturdy as they come, but I have found myself wanting the greater rollover clearance of a 29er on several occasions.. which got solidified in my mind as one was almost an endo, as a thick root ate my front wheel and stopped it from rolling.. good thing it was a really rooty section and I was going at a tactical pace. I regained balance, leaned back and pedal stroked and the root capitulated grudgingly... but I know that thing would not have been able to swallow a 29er wheel in the first place..

Overall, the biking thing, paved or not, makes the short list of the few really good decisions in my own life.. so I cant see you going wrong in any direction as long as you get a bike of any kind and ride..

Ride on.
    Be excellent to each other.