mtbr member

Arms And The Man

A heart catheterization back in July (negative for CHS, positive for too damned fat) finally got me serious about repairing my aging, bloated body and, since August 18, I've lost 40 lbs. More, if you believe that muscle weighs more than fat. My first few rides I actually took my blood pressure gear with me and measured 211/129 after the first little hill, first time out! After a few minutes BP would drop enough to ride some more until I felt bad and, stopped and put on the cuff again. By the end of August I could ride the 200 vertical feet over 1.8 undulating miles and moved on to a bigger challenge, 200 vertical feet over a steadily climbing 1 mile.

I kept setting new goals for myself once up that hill non-stop: up w/o the big gear, then w/o the big gear and the fork unlocked, then with the backpack, and so on 'til my times dropped from 20 to 13 minutes and I could continue across the ridge and back, 5 miles or more. All this was on gravel service roads. 3 weeks ago, noticeably lighter, I began to venture onto trails, about the same time I realized that, w/o as much fat, my 64 year old arms were toothpicks.

Now I ride trails exclusively, really ride them, learning to trust the bike (Haro HT) and let it roll over the roots and rocks. It's amazing what an upper body workout it is going both uphill and down. My arms are making a comeback! I still don't have the strength-to-weight ratio needed to stand and climb the really steep parts but soon enough I will.

I eat nothing but chicken or fish and vegetables for as many days in a row as I can take, usually 10 or so, then I splurge on something like a moderate amount of shrimp and pasta or a hot dog and bag of chips; then the next day back to the diet. At first, I consumed mass quantities but it didn't take long before a 4-5 oz filet of baked salmon or chicken breast with a sliced up medium zucchini would fill me up. Breakfast I add 2 eggs to that meal then I try to vary it as much as possible for lunch and dinner. It's kind of the knuckleheads version of the Atkins diet except I eat a lot of vegetables and don't worry about their carb content. Being able to flavor food with as much olive oil and cheese as I like helps, too.

The result of the weight loss and excercise is feeling great all day, not even afternoon fatigue. I think the almost complete avoidance of sugars and refined flour has also played a part in that.

Mountain biking is the best! There's no joint stress, no cars, no gym and best of all, it's in the Forest.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

mtbr member
    Inspiring.....Keep it up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Keep it up man! Good luck!

Slave to the grind
    gogogo buddy post some pics!
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

Making fat cool since '71
    Rock on man...!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Hell the **** yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    keep on pedaling you're doing great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A ittle more than a year ago I was 5-11 and weighed 280 lbs. My BP was 130/80 resting , cholesterol 240 (although the panel showed a relatively high ratio of the "good" kind) and my triglycerides were outrageous at around 350. My A1c was about 5.5. I was taking Lisinopryl and symvastatin to get those numbers; Dr took a long deep breath, looked me in the eye, and said I had some choices to make.

I could give up everything I loved to eat, and maintain my lifestyle (too lazy) and I might make it to 60. But I'd be on metformin or maybe insulin, and a number of more expensive blood pressure and lipid-control meds. And I'd feel crappy all the time.

Or I could try to see if I could become a LOT more active.

Have owned at least one MTN bike since 1984, but rode sporadically. State DNR propitiously created a purpose-built mountain-bike park 20 minutes away, and I began to enjoy it at every opportunity. Ordered a brand-new Rocky Mountain 29'er last March and have put an estimated 800 miles on it this summer and fall.

Cholesterol is now 140, Triglycerides 180, BP 114/74, A1c under 5 (barely, but an improvement) and I'm 42 lbs lighter. About 3/4 pound a week...not stellar, but since it goes along with lifestyle changes my chances of maintaining it are probably better.

Nothing at all changed except taking a bike ride instead of pie for dessert, and giving up carbonated drinks...well, still have a beer now and then.

And I feel good now, and feel good about losing another 60 lbs or so eventually. 2 more years? I'm OK with that, and my dr. thinks Im living a success story