g^2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Armor for Clydes

I've been thinking about investing in some knee/ shin guards and some elbow pads. All of the XL stuff I tried on is too tight. Any of you Clydes have recommendations for some armor that comes in XXL?

mtbr member
    Don't have a lot of help, except to note that in my experience, all brands XLs and XXLs are not made equal. Sometimes XL fits great, other times I have to go up to the XXL.

FWIW, I just got some 661 Kyle Strait kneepads in size XL, and they are fantastic. Very comfortable for pedaling up, seem well made and likely to be helpful in a crash, although I haven't tested that aspect yet. XL fits great (they are stretchy neoprene), but I'm a smallish clyde at 6' 235, I guess, so this may not be any help at all to you.

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    G-Form - XXXL. Very comfortable and they don't bother me while pedalling. Everything else I tried (Kyle Strait, Race Face Ambush XXL, Fox Launch XL) went on very tight.

g^2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ACMI View Post
    G-Form - XXXL. Very comfortable and they don't bother me while pedalling. Everything else I tried (Kyle Strait, Race Face Ambush XXL, Fox Launch XL) went on very tight.
    Thanks! Just read the review on here and ordered a set.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I've been wearing Kali knee pads (XL) and find them really comfortable.
    The elbow guards are a bit tight, but I can get by with them when I need them.
    These hold up real well too.

I have a real hard time finding shin guards that will fit my calves.
    I'm 6'2" and hover around 216 at the moment (was up to 230ish).
    I have a pair of T.H.E. knee/shin guards and they have fit pretty well. I did have to make velcro extenders for the calve portion though.

I may resort to making my own shin protectors. I mainly want a pair to keep my shins from getting bit from the pedals and the blackberry branches that sprout across our trails around here. I'm not really wanting hardshell protection for most of my rides.