mtbr member

Anyone running an FSA V-drive crank?

I'm 6'9" and 270lbs and I'm looking for a new crank for my SS project. I've seen a nice FSA Megaexo BB V-drive crank FS on a few sites, 32T with a bashguard. Will this crank be strong enough to hold up to some abusive riding? I do some stupid stuff with my SS around town, not gonna lie.

I like that its got 180mm arms and a dedicated SS ring. If its not a good crank for big guys, is there anything else in that price range (~$160 for crank and BB) that would work better? Weight is not as much of an issue, price is more of an issue for me.

I know that now that the weather is good I'll lose weight riding around and probably get down to 245, but I still want something relatively bombproof.

Here's a pic of the one I'm looking at, it reviewed very well on here in the reviews section.

mtbr member
    Well I bit the bullet and bought these last week. I'll install them in another week or two when I get back in town and can do some riding and I'll post up a full review, if nothing else I'll let you all know if they bend/break.

mtbr member
    I have been grinding on some FSA Energy cranks on my La Cruz and find them flex free and solid under my 250lbs.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

29 some of the time...
    I have run them in the past. I don't feel they are as stiff as XT cranks, but at half the price they are a good option for a budget build. Not sure how much abuse they can take. I have run them on AM and also on Single Speed bikes without issue. I noticed some flex while standing climbs on the SS. Not a deal breaker, but not as good as shimano.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. My bike gets put through its paces daily in urban settings and only sees dirt a few days out of the month. Not huge drops but the occasional 4-6 stair gap to make my commute to work more fun.