Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 104
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42

    Anyone else here ride both MT bikes and motorcycles

    I think it is ironic some of the comments I get some days when I goto a bicycle shop with a Harley shirt on, or talk to other motorcycle riders about riding a bicycle, but why is it so odd that someone would have a love for both types of riding? Or am I just odd?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,381
    2 wheels is 2 wheels. I ride a Road King, a Suzuki DR350, a rigid singlespeed, a FS 69er, and a road bike. Nothing odd about it (at least in my book!!)

  3. #3
    Trail Cubist
    Reputation: SWriverstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    857
    I'm a hardcore motorcyclist (as well as MTBer)....

    ...but I can't stand Harleys! I think they're beautiful to look at...but sheer hell to ride—at least the kind of riding I love to do...which is carving super-twisty mountain roads at relatively high speeds.

    I ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650 now, and love it—it's the ultimate all-purpose bike since it's at home on dirt/gravel roads as well as pavement.

    I think if all you're gonna do is cruise on the interstate or just ride down the street to the local bar, a Harley is fine...but for performance riding...meh.

    Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone
    I'm a hardcore motorcyclist (as well as MTBer)....

    ...but I can't stand Harleys! I think they're beautiful to look at...but sheer hell to ride—at least the kind of riding I love to do...which is carving super-twisty mountain roads at relatively high speeds.

    I ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650 now, and love it—it's the ultimate all-purpose bike since it's at home on dirt/gravel roads as well as pavement.

    I think if all you're gonna do is cruise on the interstate or just ride down the street to the local bar, a Harley is fine...but for performance riding...meh.

    Scott
    I had a KLR 650 a few years back and loved it when I lived out in WV. I'd commute on it one day, and ride it in the National Forest the next. More recently I've been looking at the Kawi Versys (and maybe even the Vstrom) But that will be in about a year when my Harley is paid off.

  5. #5
    Trail Cubist
    Reputation: SWriverstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    857
    Oh man, I **worship** the KLR! I bought a 2006 new for $6K, put about $2K worth of mods into it, put 15K miles on it over a couple years (including a 5,000-mile, 3-week solo ride up to Newfoundland and back)...then sold it for $3K.

    Did I get $5K of enjoyment out of it? You bet. Do I regret selling it? Yep.

    The thing is, I bought the V-Strom a year after buying the KLR...and I found myself riding the V-Strom more and more, and the KLR less and less.

    Ironically, it was mountain biking that contributed to me selling the KLR. I originally bought the KLR thinking I'd do a lot of off-roading with it. And I did do some...but then I got into mountain biking, which of course completely satisfied my offroad craving.

    So the KLR just sat around...and I started thinking it was dumb to have two 650's...so decided to sell it.

    But I think KLRs are awesome bikes. The new models seem pretty solid too (mine was the previous generation).

    Scott

    PS - I've heard great things about the Versys, and the V-Strom 650 inspires fanatical devotion in those who have one...so you can't go wrong with either one (or a KLR!)
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone
    Oh man, I **worship** the KLR! I bought a 2006 new for $6K, put about $2K worth of mods into it, put 15K miles on it over a couple years (including a 5,000-mile, 3-week solo ride up to Newfoundland and back)...then sold it for $3K.

    Did I get $5K of enjoyment out of it? You bet. Do I regret selling it? Yep.

    The thing is, I bought the V-Strom a year after buying the KLR...and I found myself riding the V-Strom more and more, and the KLR less and less.

    Ironically, it was mountain biking that contributed to me selling the KLR. I originally bought the KLR thinking I'd do a lot of off-roading with it. And I did do some...but then I got into mountain biking, which of course completely satisfied my offroad craving.

    So the KLR just sat around...and I started thinking it was dumb to have two 650's...so decided to sell it.

    But I think KLRs are awesome bikes. The new models seem pretty solid too (mine was the previous generation).

    Scott

    PS - I've heard great things about the Versys, and the V-Strom 650 inspires fanatical devotion in those who have one...so you can't go wrong with either one (or a KLR!)
    My KLR was also an 06, I had it for about 2 years and it sat too much because I rode the Harley. One of my bad habits though is that I have like going fast, and one of the things I love about the mountain bike is it allows me to get my fix, and my exercise at the same time without having to worry about getting a ticket. I have found recently that I'm getting into riding the mt bike more and the Harley less even though I love the Harley...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone
    I'm a hardcore motorcyclist (as well as MTBer)....

    ...but I can't stand Harleys! I think they're beautiful to look at...but sheer hell to ride—at least the kind of riding I love to do...which is carving super-twisty mountain roads at relatively high speeds.

    I ride a Suzuki V-Strom 650 now, and love it—it's the ultimate all-purpose bike since it's at home on dirt/gravel roads as well as pavement.

    I think if all you're gonna do is cruise on the interstate or just ride down the street to the local bar, a Harley is fine...but for performance riding...meh.

    Scott
    FYI, Hardcore and V-Strom don't belong in the same ballpark.
    You want to talk ultimate all purpose bike, go get yourself on a KTM 950 Adventure. I had an '04 for 6 years and that thing was at home in the mountain twisties, cruising at 80, or chasing (or being chased by) 400's through the woods.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigVaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    321
    I ride a CBR929rr & love all things 2 wheels.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    86
    I have worked in the motorcycle industry for years, love 2 wheels. List of prior bikes.

    2000 Triumph TT600
    2001 Yamaha R1
    2004 KLX110
    2000 Superhawk
    2002 CR250R
    2004 CRF250X Street Legal
    2002 XR650R Supermoto
    2004 R6
    2003 SV650
    2006 ZX636R

    I think thats it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1
    Motorcycles? You bet!! been riding since i was about 10. thats 40 years wow time flies. I just sold my KLR650 and my ST1100 and bought a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Cheers!

  11. #11
    KC5
    KC5 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone
    ... the kind of riding I love to do...which is carving super-twisty mountain roads at relatively high speeds
    +1
    Looking forward to my annual trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA and also tearing up some of those great twisty WV roads.

    A lot of guys I know who ride motorcycles also ride road and/or Mtb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else here ride both MT bikes and motorcycles-rt-30-sept-06.jpg  


  12. #12
    Trail Cubist
    Reputation: SWriverstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_
    FYI, Hardcore and V-Strom don't belong in the same ballpark.
    You want to talk ultimate all purpose bike, go get yourself on a KTM 950 Adventure. I had an '04 for 6 years and that thing was at home in the mountain twisties, cruising at 80, or chasing (or being chased by) 400's through the woods.
    I do admire the KTM950...but trust me—there's nothing the KTM can do on pavement that the Wee-Strom can't (after all, the Wee Strom has the legendary SV650 engine—one of the greatest V-twins ever made in history!)

    Offroad, heck yes—the KTM rules. But then again, I also learned on my KLR that riding rocky singletrack on a 400lb bike is a DRAG. The Wee-Strom handles dirt/gravel roads just fine, and for anything smaller/tighter/rougher, I'll take my mountain bike.

    And I'll take the maintenance and reliability of the Wee-Strom any day over a KTM. All I do is change the oil (which takes 5 minutes) and put gas in it, and the Wee is flawless for 10 years or 100K miles—whichever comes first!

    Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,150
    What are good motorcycles for tall guys? I'd love to pic one up when I can afford one.

  14. #14
    DynoDon
    Reputation: manabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,667
    I've owned more motorcycles then I can remember, over 30, from my Motocross, Hare Scrambles, Scrambles, TT, Ice Racing, on Honda, Yam, Suzuki, KTM, Maico's, days to my BMW, Cafe Racer 350cc RD Yamaha (way before Sport bikes were thought of) many Harleys, including vintage, My prize Motorcycle was the slowest one, a 750cc 1942 H-D WLA that I did Veteran events with, tomorrow I'll be riding my Harley Ultra with a trailer for my Mountian bike to enter a Time Trail in Pontiac, Mi.. Pics below....I've Trophied on most of my bikes in different events, Moto, Hare Scrambles, TT flat track, 8th in State Poker Runs, 2nd in my first and only Mountain bike race.. I just don't want to finish last tomorrow..LOL!!! I also own a Harley Bicycle below

    Photobucket

    Photobucket

    Photobucket

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Adim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    668
    The 1942 Harley is bada$$.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by motorider
    I have worked in the motorcycle industry for years, love 2 wheels. List of prior bikes.

    2000 Triumph TT600
    2001 Yamaha R1
    2004 KLX110
    2000 Superhawk
    2002 CR250R
    2004 CRF250X Street Legal
    2002 XR650R Supermoto
    2004 R6
    2003 SV650
    2006 ZX636R

    I think thats it.

    What do you do in the industry moto? We have a dealership (Yam, Kaw, and KTM). I love mtb and off road riding. I race Enduros on a KTM530 EXC, don't really get to ride as much as I want, on either bike.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    I've owned more motorcycles then I can remember, over 30, from my Motocross, Hare Scrambles, Scrambles, TT, Ice Racing, on Honda, Yam, Suzuki, KTM, Maico's, days to my BMW, Cafe Racer 350cc RD Yamaha (way before Sport bikes were thought of) many Harleys, including vintage, My prize Motorcycle was the slowest one, a 750cc 1942 H-D WLA that I did Veteran events with, tomorrow I'll be riding my Harley Ultra with a trailer for my Mountian bike to enter a Time Trail in Pontiac, Mi.. Pics below....I've Trophied on most of my bikes in different events, Moto, Hare Scrambles, TT flat track, 8th in State Poker Runs, 2nd in my first and only Mountain bike race.. I just don't want to finish last tomorrow..LOL!!! I also own a Harley Bicycle below

    Photobucket

    Photobucket

    Photobucket
    I love the little trailer for hauling the Mt. Bike. I've thought of doing that myself, only building the trailer deliberately light to minimize weight...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimbonerz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    74
    rode motorcycles for years
    I actually sold my last bike, a ducati monster, to buy a new mtb bike

    here are pics of the last few bikes I had, I still have 2 project bikes (suzuki savage based chopper and 73 honda cb125s based cafe racer)

    97 ducati monster m900


    06 suzuki s40 bobber


    02 honda cbr 954 rr


    04 kawaski KLR 650


    87 honda vfr 700


    06 crf250r


    03 polaris predator 500
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonerz28
    06 suzuki s40 bobber

    What's the reason for the exhaust splitting into two pipes like that?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimbonerz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    74
    just aesthetics, I liked the way it flowed with the bike.
    i thought it completed the exhaust instead of just a straight cut off pipe. its acually a turndown tip from a goldwing trike
    heres some more pics of the bike
    I cut off the rear spring mounts moved them back 2" to lower the rear, built rear fender mount and added a sportbike front fender, built taillight plate mount used a trailer light, chopped the rear frame built seat mount and used a seat i picked up at swap meet along with the scoop, mounted it and made it functional ram air, removed front fender, relocated the headlight to top triple, then striped the tank and fender, changed the bars risers and that about it




    here is what it looked like before
    Last edited by jimbonerz28; 04-23-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimbonerz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    74
    this is kinda my thing, get a bike then kinda restyle it to what i like ride it for a while then sell it when I get bored

    the klr was a really bad faded red when i got it, I built the windsdreen extention, crashbars, and skid plate, shorten the front fender and put on a ducati hypermotard exhaust can and driving lights, I also built a luggage rack with old samsonite bags


    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jimbonerz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    74
    before and after of the ducati



    05 Raleigh M80 sold
    09 Rockhopper Comp sold
    10 Stumpy Expert Carbon HT 29er sold
    13 Stumpy FSR Elite "Yellow Jacket"

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SeaBass_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,381
    The KTM 950 when I raced it in the dualsport class at Claverack


    CBR954RR and Norman

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    617
    Me = 1996 Kawa Gpz 1100, hence my name.



    Set up for sport touring with Givi bags:

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tallpaul47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15
    Race bike ZX6R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else here ride both MT bikes and motorcycles-0-1425-i%3D256109-sz%3D1-00.jpg  


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •