mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Anybody here willing to modify a workout plan for me?

I'm 6'2, 269. Trying to get 210 by next riding season.

I have a workout plan for when I was a ski racer (190, 6% body fat, etc etc) but it's far too advanced for me now.

Was wondering if anybody here is a fitness expert that can help me modify that plan.

So, can someone? And I can PM you...

Thanks!

Ologist
    I still think Body for Life and Lean for Life are the best and fastest plans that lend themselves to good long term habits.

Check out Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle and Precision Nutrition.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    body for life does the trick and is pretty simple to follow once you get going... I need to get back on it myself
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    ...but to achieve those results, its the food intake that will matter more. The workout plan is just the baseline.

Concentrate on whole body movements working multiple joints (benchs, snatchs, squats, deadlifts, presses, etc.) and don't waste time on single joint exercises (curls, hamstring curls, etc.). Vary your routine quite a bit and focus on high intensity exercises/mode.

However, if you don't carefully watch your food intake to ensure that you're at a calorie deficit of around 500 calories a day, you wont hit it that bodyfat loss through exercise alone.

I've kept my routine fairly consistent over the past couple of years as I outlined above, but didn't see any weight loss/reduction in bodyfat till this year, when I started tracking what I eat. I started Feb 2009 at about 190 and 20% bodyfat, and by July was at 165 and 8% bodyfat, which I'm still at. Actually trying to gain a few pounds back now, but while staying lean.

Good luck - oh, the tracking was made alot easier using the iphone app, LoseIt.

loneryda
    Sep 2009
    I don't know about body for life and such, but what worked for me was progression in training. Basically I still eat the same if not more, but what changed for me and enabled me to lose 20 lbs was riding longer and further.
    Over a period of time I increased my weekly total miles an/or weekly total time on the bike. As a big fellow I have plenty of power and strength but obviously lacking in endurance. It's a fact you can't be big and have endurance so that was my weakness, so that's what I would work on if I were you.
    Try increasing your frequency on your bike to every day, one or two of those days being strictly for a recovery ride where you merely turn your legs over for an hour or two. The other five rides should be split into 2 distance rides, two timed rides and one both time and distance. Each week you attempt to beat your total 2 distance rides - even if it is only a mile longer your still doing a little more. Same for the timed rides - 5mins, 15 mins it all means your riding for a longer time. And the time & distance ride is a guage on how far you can ride in say an hour for eg. and the following week you try to beat that time. If you keep a log you can watch your progression take place and your body will have to shed weight. Ever seen a big marathon runner? Like anything though if you push it too hard you'll burn out. It's just a sneaky way to trick your body into sheding un-needed weight.

Go make a difference
    I'm not sure if anyone's answered the question...

Sure if you want to send it to me I'll take a look at what you have and see how I can help based on my experience.

clmyrickjr at gmail dot com
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    I'm not sure if anyone's answered the question...

Sure if you want to send it to me I'll take a look at what you have and see how I can help based on my experience.

clmyrickjr at gmail dot com
    same here - shoot me a PM. I'm not a fitness expert, but I did just stay at a Holiday Inn Express

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi all ! I am no expert either...what I do is equate food to how many miles I have to ride to burn it....for instance , a 12oz Ice house beer is 170 calories , at about 45 caleries per mile (depends on pace ) it takes me 3.75 miles to burn it off.........thinking of it this way helps me put less crappy stuff in my mouth........btw , swithed to bacardi and diet soda = 65 calories

mtbr member
    I had a PM coversation with him and ended up sending him the fist 6 week cycle of the following workout templete. I have not hear back from him in a while but I wanted to posted it here so if anyone else wanted to give it a try they are more then welcome to. It's pretty easy to follow and gives the user a lot of choices. It follows a western linear progression that tends to work well with less experianced weightlifters. I have used this to set up a base for both men and women that I have worked with to give them a good fintess base and lose bodyfat. A user will get out of it what they put into it and it needs to be coupled with a solid diet plan to get the best results. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...Feel free to PM me or if you have any specific questions.

-----------------

Below are 3, 6 week cycles that if completed along with a proper diet plan will help to build a good fitness base. A regular cycling routine can be substituted for the conditioning days.

1st 6 week cycles (Adaptation/Muscular Endurance):

This cycle is to learn the movements with lighter weights and build a good base for the next 2 cycles.

Weightlifting:

Weights 3 days a week skipping days (M, W, F) for 6 weeks.

8 rounds of 12 reps. Rotate through all exercises each round.

Each weight lifting day should start with a warm-up 15 minutes on an elliptical and stretching.
    The “book ends”(performed at the start and finish) of a weightlifting day are a ˝ mile (800 meter) sprint of stationary bike, elliptical, stationary rower, or actual running. This should be done as fast as possible and if you can select resistance it should be so that you finish in around 3 minutes.

Pick one exercise off the list from each category to do each day. Don’t repeat any exercises each week.

1. Horizontal Push-
    Push-up
    Bench Press
    Dumbbell Bench Press

2. Horizontal Pull-
    Seated Row
    Single Arm Dumbbell Row
    Bent Over Row

3. Vertical Push-
    Standing Dumbbell Military Press
    Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Military Press
    Standing Military Press

4. Vertical Pull-
    Shoulder Width Grip Pull-up/Lat Pull Down (Palms Away)
    Wide Grip Pull-up/Lat Pull Down(Palms Away)
    Narrow Grip Pull-up/Lat Pull Down (Palms facing each other)

5. Legs-
    Squats
    Forward Lunges
    Step-ups

6. Core
    Plank Progression (Front, Right, Left, Rest 30 seconds each)
    Back Extension
    Seated Russian Twist

Weight selected should be level (Same amount of weight used throughout the exercise) but common sense should be used in that if the weight selected is way to light or way to heavy change it. The amount of weight selected for each exercise is up to you but should be in the light to moderate range. You want to be able to finish with good form but you also want to push yourself.

Example Weight lifting day:
    Warm-up
    1. Elliptical 800 meters (1/2 mile) @ Level 5 resistance
    2. 8 rounds of
    -Push-ups 12 reps @ bodyweight
    -Single Arm Dumbbell Row 12 reps @ 45lbs
    -Standing Barbell Military Press 12 reps @ 95lbs
    -Narrow Grip Pull-ups 12 reps @ bodyweight
    -Squats 12 reps @ 135lbs
    -Seated Russian Twist 12 reps @ 25lbs
    3. Elliptical 800 meters (1/2 mile)

The next day select different exercises from each category. There is only 3 exercises in each category so you will be able to do all of them over the course of the week. Mix and mach from week to week to keep your body guessing as to what is coming next.

Conditioning:

Unless you already have a regular riding routine do conditioning work on 2 of your non weightlifting days.

1st conditioning day:

6 rounds of:
    -Endurance Exercise 800 meters (1/2 mile)
    -Weight Exercise 15 reps (Level Weight)

For the Endurance Exercise pick one of the following, you can repeat if you want to focus on one:
    -Stationary Cycle
    -Elliptical
    -Actual Sprints/Running
    -Stationary Rowing

For the Weight Exercise pick one of the following each week and don’t repeat:
    -Standing Single Arm Military Press
    -Seated Row
    -Pull-up/Lat Pull Down
    -Single Arm Dumbbell Row
    -Curl-Press
    -Upright Row

This is an interval based day and is to be done at maximal effort (fast and hard). By switching between the two exercises you will be able to give more effort than possible by simply running 3 miles. This has been shown to be 9x more effective in fat loss because you will expend more energy and your body will burn calories for hours after the workout.

2nd conditioning day:

Perform an Endurance Exercise for 90 minutes at a conversational pace.

Pick one from the list above. Going for 90 minutes at a low intensity (conversational) pace has been shown to provide a good endurance base for future activity.

2nd 6 week cycle (Strength)

Now that a good base has been built the next cycle is a strength phase. Increase the weights used so that it each round is difficult but you are able to finish. You shouldn’t have any “gas left in the tank” when you are done.

Weightlifting:

6 rounds of 8 reps. Rotate through all exercises each round.

Each weight lifting day should start with a warm-up 15 minutes on an elliptical and stretching.
    The “book ends”(performed at the start and finish) of a weightlifting day are a ˝ mile (800 meter) sprint of stationary bike, elliptical, stationary rower, or actual running. This should be done as fast as possible and if you can select resistance it should be so that you finish in around 3 minutes.

Pick one exercise off the list from each category to do each day. Don’t repeat any exercises each week.

1. Horizontal Push-
    Single Arm Dumbbell Bench Press
    Bench Press
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

2. Horizontal Pull-
    Laying Dumbbell Row
    Single Arm Dumbbell Row
    Seated High Cable Row (Pull to Face)

3. Vertical Push-
    Dumbbell Front/Lateral Raises
    Upright Row

4. Vertical Pull-

5. Legs-
    Squats
    Side Lunges
    Walking Lunges

6. Core
    Hanging Leg Raise
    Back Extension
    Incline Sit-ups

Weight selected should be level (Same amount of weight used throughout the exercise) but common sense should be used in that if the weight selected is way to light or way to heavy change it. The amount of weight selected for each exercise is up to you but should be in the moderate to heavy range. You want to be able to finish with good form but you also want to push yourself.

Warm-up
    1. Stationary Bike 800 meters (1/2 mile)
    2. 6 rounds of
    -Bench Press 8 reps @ 100lbs
    -Single Arm Dumbbell Row 8 reps @ 45lbs
    -Upright Row 8 reps @ 50lbs
    -Narrow Grip Lat Pull-down 8 reps @ 50lbs
    -Squats 8 reps @ 135lbs
    -Incline Sit-ups 8 reps @ Bodyweight
    3. Stationary Bike 800 meters (1/2 mile)

The next day select different exercises from each category. There is only 3 exercises in each category so you will be able to do all of them over the course of the week. Mix and mach from week to week to keep your body guessing as to what is coming next.

Conditioning:

Unless you already have a regular riding routine do conditioning work on 2 of your non weightlifting days.

Conditioning days:

6 rounds of:
    -Weight Exercise 10 reps (Level Weight)

For the Endurance Exercise pick one of the following, you can repeat if you want to focus on one:
    -Stationary Cycle
    -Elliptical
    -Actual Sprints/Running
    -Stationary Rowing

-Seated Row
    -Pull-up/Lat Pull Down
    -Single Arm Dumbbell Row
    -Curl-Press
    -Upright Row

This is an interval based day and is to be done at maximal effort (fast and hard). By switching between the two exercises you will be able to give more effort than possible by simply running 3 miles. This has been shown to be 9x more effective in fat loss because you will expend more energy and your body will burn calories for hours after the workout.

3rd 6 week cycle (Power)

You should be feeling pretty good now and making gains. During this cycle you kick it up a notch by increasing the weights used so that it each round is more difficult but you are still able to finish. Once again you shouldn’t have any “gas left in the tank” when you are done.

Weightlifting:

5 rounds of 5 reps. Rotate through all exercises each round.

1. Horizontal Push-
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press

2. Horizontal Pull-
    Shoulder Width Grip Seated Row
    Single Arm Dumbbell Row
    Close Grip Seated Row

3. Vertical Push-
    Standing Dumbbell Military Press
    Upright Row

4. Vertical Pull-

5. Legs-
    Squats
    Straight Leg Deadlift
    Single Leg Split Squats

6. Core
    Plank Progression (Front, Right, Left, Rest 30 seconds each)
    Back Extension
    Weighted Incline Sit-ups (Hold a medicine Ball/Weight plate above your head)

Weight selected should be level (Same amount of weight used throughout the exercise) but common sense should be used in that if the weight selected is way to light or way to heavy change it. The amount of weight selected for each exercise is up to you but should be in the moderate to heavy range. You want to be able to finish with good form but you also want to push yourself.

Warm-up
    1. Running 800 meters (1/2 mile)
    2. 5 rounds of
    -Dumbbell Bench Press 5 reps @ 50lbs
    -Seated Row 5 reps @ 45lbs
    -Standing Single Arm Military Press 5 reps @ 50lbs
    -Shoulder Width Grip Lat Pull-down 5 reps @ 50lbs
    -Straight Leg Deadlift 5 reps @ 135lbs
    -Weighted Incline Sit-ups 5 reps @ 25lbs
    3. Running 800 meters (1/2 mile)

Conditioning:

Conditioning days:

6 rounds of:
    -Weight Exercise 5 reps (Level Weight)

-Stationary Cycle
    -Elliptical
    -Actual Sprints/Running
    -Stationary Rowing

-Seated Row
    -Pull-up/Lat Pull Down
    -Single Arm Dumbbell Row
    -Curl-Press
    -Upright Row

Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Stop eating starches and grains.