Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been on the Medifast low carb plan since the end of February and lost over 40 lbs doing so. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned it, since it's pretty popular and has been around forever.

mtbr member
    Try giving up 95% of your meat, dairy products, and sugar. There are ALOT of GREAT alternatives out there, and this is coming from a person who ate meat 3 meals a day for 50 yrs basically. Both my grandparents were farmers and ranchers from Kansas.

I am telling you, I am about 95% vegan now and it is working. There is no way you can t lose weight, especially if you workout with the diet. You will feel better I guarantee it.

mtbr member
    I went raw vegetarian for a few month a couple years ago and lost 40 pounds in two months and felt great. Stayed vegetarian for about 8 months total and maintained the weightloss until the end. I started eating SAD again and gained it all back quickly. I'm back eating better, pretty much just cleaned things up but still eating a pretty standard diet. I'm back down 40 pounds since thanksgiving. I just started jogging and riding again so I hope more weight starts to come off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I was on the US Navy fatboy program most of my career despite being active at the time, Running Bicycling and playing roller hockey ... The Atkins diet worked BUT as soon as you go off like most diets you gain back plus some... Retired from the Navy and to be honest got lazy okay real lazy... Decide to get back in the game and today with all the knowledge I have I am trying to keep it simple... staying away from any true diet and just watch what I eat ... Progress has been slow and was slowed even more since I only started in Jan and was grounded by Drs till this week so I start again. I wish you well everyone is different.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=freebird914;10383918The Atkins diet worked BUT as soon as you go off like most diets you gain back plus some... [/QUOTE]

Success of a diet should not be measured in short term results. I always ask people what the success rate is at 6/12/24/36 months. I love to see people argue that a diet works and one of the first things they say is that they have been on the diet several times to lose weight they gained back...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Diets are IMO setting people up for a fail. People diet, loose weight, then think they can go back to their old ways of eating. Instead of diets folks need to get in the mindset of making lifestyle changes.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Diets are IMO setting people up for a fail. People diet, loose weight, then think they can go back to their old ways of eating. Instead of diets folks need to get in the mindset of making lifestyle changes.
    People like magic pills and gimmicks though... something as hard as weight loss cannot possibly be easy without something magical, right?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    People like magic pills and gimmicks though... something as hard as weight loss cannot possibly be easy without something magical, right?
    Hypnosis maybe?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Hypnosis maybe?
    I usually suggest counseling as a means to take a look at why the individual is not able to handle food "properly" ....... but hypnosis may work too.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I am 6'3". Weighed 230 last year, at 28% body fat. Always been in to mountain biking, and the occasional run. Never really paid attention to what I ate. My vitals have always been fine, but always technically overweight. I downloaded an app called myfitnesspal and started using the gym that I had at work. Basically I noticed certain things that were high in calories (ex: juices) and replaced them with their food equivalent. Also just found healthier snacks (cottage cheese and applesauce instead of chips). Long story short, lost 30 pounds, and am 16% body fat in a year. For what it's worth, I lift a lot, so I am trying to bulk up a bit, which has IMMENSLEY improved my riding. I chose the 'eat slightly better and do more' approach and the results are pretty good so far. I just didn't see myself eliminating a food type from my diet.

Good luck to all, and hope you accomplish your goals.

mtbr member
    I just started using that app. Pretty good stuff. I've lost 40 pounds since around Christmas buy simply cleaning up my diet. I got a Vitamix blender for Christmas so I've been making the heck out of fruit and veggie smoothies which make up a large part of my diet. I did just find out that I've been eating way too few calories. I am 280 pounds and only take in about 1600-1800 calories a day. I'm trying to bump it up closer to 2500 to see if that will help my body start to release more body fat. I think I may be in starvation mode. I forget, but I figured up my LBM a while back which came out to around 225 pounds or something like that which I think 1800 calories is still too low as a maintenance level. This stuff gets confusing for me so I just try to eat healthy and keep calories 2000-2500 for a couple weeks and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Read, modify diet and loose weight.

Our philosophy, program and community | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

This is a stricter version of a Paleo diet. I did this to enhance my workout performance and shed what little fat I had at the same time. A lot of people talk trash about Paleo diets but they are probably cheating and not planning their meals. End result was increased workout performance, greater energy lvls, healthier lifestyle, lower body fat % and increased development of more lean muscle. I did this to the T for two months and now follow it at a 90% level. I currently implement some grains such as brown rice. There is a ton of info on the Internet and you don't need to buy a book. PM me with any questions.

Things I highly recommend keeping around.
    - coconut butter to cook with and add good fat to anything. In a spoonful in my coffee each morning. It's even good by itself but will not change the taste of the food you cook it with.
    - grape seed oil for cooking at high heat
    - raw nuts (bulk section of grocery store)
    - avocado
    - eggs, natural bacon and avocado makes for a badass breakfast
    - fresh veggies but no beans out of a the pod.
    - pack snacks for mid morning and mid afternoon.
    - chipotle fast food is your saving grace if you get in a pinch. Salad bowl, meat, veggies and avocado. Done

Read ingredients and watch out for any kind of preservative. Eating out is rough at first but you will learn what to order and you can always go ala cart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wish chipolte was not so dam stingey with the fajita vegetables. Seeing as how I'm passing on beans, rice, cheese, and sour cream, you'd think they'd spot you a couple extra scoops of peppers. Maybe I'll write a letter to the company.

mtbr member
    ive lost 160 lbs while eating primal (looser paleo diet) its basically a lower carb diet, focused on nutrient dense foods. never hungry and full of energy. i love it

mtbr member
    Since these always spawn the pseudo-experts spewing their "ketosis is dangerous!" because they do not understand the difference between nutritional ketosis (NK) and diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), I present the facts from Dr. Peter Attia (Surgeon), located here.

Ketosis ? advantaged or misunderstood state? (Part I) « The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Embarrassing admission: I remember exactly where I was sitting in a clinic at Johns Hopkins in 2002 explaining to (admonishing, really) a patient who was on the Atkins diet how harmful it was because of DKA. I am so embarrassed by my complete stupidity and utter failure to pick up a single scientific article to fact check this dogma I was spewing to this poor patient. If you’re reading this, sir, please forgive me. You deserved a smarter doctor. ~ Dr. Peter Attia
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sooo... Got back into riding recently and have been trolling the site for a couple weeks. This particular thread got me to register here. I believe that just about anyone that says low carb dieting doesn't work either hsn't tried it or just cheated themselves while on it. At 18 years old, I was 6'3" and 295 lbs, I realized a need to something about my weight and tried the Atkins diet. Within days I was ketosing and losing at least a pound a day. After two and a half months I was down to 225 pounds and went from a 40 waist to a 36 waist. Besides losing all the weight, it taught me just how detrimental carbs can be to people with a large build body. Now, ten years later, I still am at 225, plus or minus 5 pounds, sound like a fad diet to you? I have modified my diet away from atkins guidelines, and just eat stuff that humans used to eat before frozen this and low fat that, such as lean proteins and leafy greens. It seems ironic to me the fat-free/weight watchers fad is bigger than ever yet we are all fatter than ever.

mtbr member
    I think it's the type of carbs, not that all carbs are bad. All the starchy carbs, processed carbs (pasta, bread) and a lot of grains and rice are the things that are bad. Like you are saying, stick with fresh fruits and veggies and stay away from processed junk and you should be ok.

mtbr member
    The telling sign of this thread are the people who said "until they get OFF the diet.." You dont get OFF Atkins if you do it right. You learn what your carb intake level is that allows you to not gain weight and feel like crap and you stick to that FOREVER. Its a life style change (if done right). Hell some people find that after losing the initial weight they can eat hundreds of carb calories a day and not gain any weight. Some cant eat more than 50. Everyones body is different.
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    That's pretty much what I said a year ago. Diets fail. Lifestyle changes FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    The telling sign of this thread are the people who said "until they get OFF the diet.." You dont get OFF Atkins if you do it right. You learn what your carb intake level is that allows you to not gain weight and feel like crap and you stick to that FOREVER. Its a life style change (if done right).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2