mtbr member

Anybody else about 5'9 @ 225#? Please advise...

This is only my 3rd summer riding (and my first year riding year round). I still don't know a lot about bike set up. I ride mostly singletrack XC w/ moderate climbs and descents. Mostly hardpack with some rooty and rocky areas.

Both bikes are FS. '08 Fuji Outland RC frame built up to 29.5# and a '06 Motobecane 600DS lightened to 31.5#. I usually run tire pressures of 40 psi F&R, but lately have been riding @ 30psi F&R. I prefer 30 psi up front as traction is greatly improved for both 2.3 Weirwolf on Fuji and 2.4 Mutano Raptor on Moto.

What are your recommendations for tire pressures for rooty climbs and descents for someone my size? I know it's a subjective thing, but recommendations will help limit the amount of experimenting necessary in finding the best pressures for me. Fuji has 2.3 Weirwolf Front and 2.3 Stout Rear. Moto has 2.4 Mutano F&R.
    Thanks for your help

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I'm 5'9.5" and 220, does that come close enough? Trails around here are a mix of smooth buff hardpack, rocky dirt, technical sandstone, etc. with the occasional dry sand and/or roots thrown in.

I usually ride with 40 PSI rear, 30 front. Tires are 2.35" or 2.4" low knob for me, I'm not a fan of big knobs. Right now it's a Kenda Cortez 2.4 front, Hutchinson Bulldog 2.35 rear. I love the Cortez but it's been discontinued. The Bulldogs were a chainlove.com bargain deal; they actually have more volume than the Cortez.

I switched to FS about 2 years ago and it has been a learning experience. I think I want more damping (heavier oil) than the skinny fellas do, but that could be my imagination. I know I ride with the fork's low speed compression setting maxed and I still want more!
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info on your set up, chucko58. I actually tried 30F/40R pressures on the Moto this afternoon. I did like it better than 40F/40R and the rear felt more stable going over roots and rocks than 30F/30R.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

5'11" 225

Up front I use 30 psi for better traction unless I'm expecting big hit stuff, then up 5 psi.
    Rear I use 35 psi as a compromise between traction and supporting my weight for big hit stuff with either hard tail or full suspension. If I'm in really loose or sandy terrain I'll use 30 rear for the traction. I found 40 psi was too stiff and bouncy for me and would knock me off my line.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I have gone as low as 28 PSI front and not had a problem. I prefer a little higher pressure in the back to reduce drag - I swear I can feel the rear tire holding me back at lower pressures. But everybody's preferences and riding styles are different, so play around 1-2 PSI at a time and see what works best for you.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm 5'9 and 220, and I ride at 30psi front and back on my DS Kona Bear w/ a 2.1 Nevegal on the rear and a 2.3 WTB Weirwolf in the front. I have pretty much ridden 30psi for ever and for all conditions, and historically have not had pinch flat troubles and don't have any traction problems. I am in the process of building a Jamis Exile SS and will be running 2.5 WTB Weirwolf LTs and I'm sure that I will have to expirament w/ the pressure.