mtbr member
    May 2013

Any of you Clydes fatbike?

Wondering what your experience with fatbikes has been. I did 9 miles today in the rain. It was fun but I piled it up multiple times, stuck it in the mud, and spun out in a few muddy climbs. I kept thinking I bet I'd be doing quite a bit better on a fat bike. Perhaps with my weight though I'd be forced to run higher air pressure which may negate the benefits? Anyway any info is appreciated. There is a used Pugsley near me that I'm getting a bit excited about. The price doesn't seem too bad.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I ran a 1/2 fat (front fat?) for a bit... big fat larry 4.7" on a 80mm rim and was down to 12psi or so without issue...

but I don't know how a fat would really do in the mud...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am 6'5" 260lbs and waiting very patiently for my new Ti fatbike.. I will be using it for beach and singletrack. Not expected to see much snow here in Oz but never know.. Depends how big you are and how much riding you have done.. Experience on any bike will help you in the mud (to a degree)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you are riding single track in those conditions you may get shot by local trail workers, or at least get the 50 lashings you deserve for wrecking trails. Haha

With that said, I ride my fatty all the time in every condition I can. There is never a bad time for a fatty. The combo of nates with the right psi should get you anywhere.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I own the ground so no worries there. Going to take a mukaluk for a spin today, I'm excited.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I ride my Pugsley almost exclusively now. I'm 6'8" & 260 pounds. I run about 8#s of air in the tires. I've tried riding with more pressure on the trails, but it tends to bounce like a beach ball on rocky technical sections. Lately, I've been riding it 1/2 fat, with at 29er rear, or fully rigid with 29ers f&r.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 6'4" and about 330 lbs. Ride a 2013 Salsa Mukluk. Been working great so far. For riding in nasty mud you are still gonna need some knobby tires to maintain traction. Just like on a 4 wheeler, just cause the tires are wide doesn't mean they will do good when it gets slick. Try some nates.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Rode my first fat bike today. I see why they are so popular. Out at my land I was able to clear a couple of different spots that I always shouldered. It actually made it pretty easy. Such a smooth ride....yup I'm hooked.