mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Any TALL dudes on a XL NINER frame?

I'm 6'6" and looking at a new bike. Leaning toward a Trek Superfly 23" or Giant XTC 22" but have seen some nice used Niner frames in XL for a good price and thought I would see any other giraffes are riding them? I noticed the Niner seatube is only a 21" but Niner claims it fits riders up to 6'7". Is this easily made up with a longer seatpost or I am guessing there is a lot more to it than that? Problem is where I live, I have very limited bike shops and it would be tough to try before I buy. Any thoughts are helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The gotcha is that as your seatpost goes up, the bars don't, also the reach to the bars might be too close too. This is more of an issue if you do a lot of seated riding vs standing up.

My drop bar ogre has plenty of seat tube but I had to add a steerer extension to balance the bar height.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Definitely agree! For niner price u can get stock ventana el cap that would definitely fit!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" on an XL Rip9, with a few stem spacers and a riser bar it's a comfortable fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'5" on an XL WFO and it fits like a champ. I have a long torso and my fit is perfect with a 90mm stem and straight seat post. And i think i have 35mm of spacers under the stem. Not sure how you're built but xl Niners are big bikes. I also have a XXL Surly Ogre and I'm running a 120mm stem on it, just to give you an idea of how big Niners are.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
    I'm 6'6" and looking at a new bike. Leaning toward a Trek Superfly 23" or Giant XTC 22" but have seen some nice used Niner frames in XL for a good price and thought I would see any other giraffes are riding them? I noticed the Niner seatube is only a 21" but Niner claims it fits riders up to 6'7". Is this easily made up with a longer seatpost or I am guessing there is a lot more to it than that? Problem is where I live, I have very limited bike shops and it would be tough to try before I buy. Any thoughts are helpful.
    Yup, the XL Niners fit 'giraffes'.

They have a nice generous head tube length. At 6'4" - I use no spacers on one of my XL Niners...

P1010066

I would think with your height of 6'6" - there is plenty of room for a bit more seat height and some spacers if need be without resorting to extra long posts and odd plumbing.