Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,675

    Any tall clydes tried 29ers but prefer 26ers?

    Let me be clear, I am not talking about the 6ft 4in 215lb guy (guys that weigh over 200 because they are tall but arent big ). I am talking about guy's that are BIG (relative to their height) as well as tall (6ft and up). Have any of you tried a 29er and found that you prefered your 26er?. Im sure someone has, because nothing is best for everyone.
    for the record, I ride both, but prefer my 29ers. Wondering how others feel. speak up .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

  2. #2
    I Ride for Donuts
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,275
    I'm 6'2", 210lbs. For trail use, I prefer 26 inch wheels. Maybe it's my 20" BMX history talking, but with 29" wheels I don't feel like I can flick the bike around as well. Technical stuff where I'm bunny hopping things and flipping the back wheel over and around and on top of stuff, I want smaller wheels. The way I see it, if I'm relying on bigger wheels to get me over stuff and decrease approach angle, etc., my 29ers are a crutch to make up for my lack of skill. They are faster on the road and on non-tech stuff, but on a rocky/rooty/switchback singletrack, give me 26ers.

    On 20 inch or even 24 inch wheels, I could 360 bunny hop at will...on 26 inch wheels, maybe. On 29ers, I'm a passenger.

    I'm all over 29ers as a commuter or a fire-road bomber, but there's a reason downhill guys don't use 'em.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,675

    points well taken...

    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I'm 6'2", 210lbs. For trail use, I prefer 26 inch wheels. Maybe it's my 20" BMX history talking, but with 29" wheels I don't feel like I can flick the bike around as well. Technical stuff where I'm bunny hopping things and flipping the back wheel over and around and on top of stuff, I want smaller wheels. The way I see it, if I'm relying on bigger wheels to get me over stuff and decrease approach angle, etc., my 29ers are a crutch to make up for my lack of skill. They are faster on the road and on non-tech stuff, but on a rocky/rooty/switchback singletrack, give me 26ers.

    On 20 inch or even 24 inch wheels, I could 360 bunny hop at will...on 26 inch wheels, maybe. On 29ers, I'm a passenger.

    I'm all over 29ers as a commuter or a fire-road bomber, but there's a reason downhill guys don't use 'em.
    you bmx guy's do have mad skills. I can see how a bigger wheel would hinder you, great example. any others?.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

  4. #4
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300
    I really dig my 29er, but am finding there are things that it does not do well--very tight switchbacks, for example. This is mostly due to the longer wheelbase and chainstays, but I'm sure some of it is the 5" fork I am running. I'm thinking of a 6" travel bike (26er) to compliment the 29er, something like a Reign, Heckler, or whatever.

    I'm 6'3", 255lbs.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,675

    5" fork?, what 29er are you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I really dig my 29er, but am finding there are things that it does not do well--very tight switchbacks, for example. This is mostly due to the longer wheelbase and chainstays, but I'm sure some of it is the 5" fork I am running. I'm thinking of a 6" travel bike (26er) to compliment the 29er, something like a Reign, Heckler, or whatever.

    I'm 6'3", 255lbs.
    riding and was the frame designed to be used with that much travel?.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    Yes. As a matter in fact I'm in the process of building a 26" single speed.

    Still have my monocog 29 er but pick my 26" Dual sus any day of the week. I do feel the 29er has some positives but also some negatives. For instance, it handles like a bus. For me this is important as I like a bike that can handle tight twisty technical riding. I guess its just personal preference.

    Maybe when some builds a proven 6" 29er trail bike that handles like my current ride I take a look again.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,675

    The bus like handling...

    Quote Originally Posted by joltz
    Yes. As a matter in fact I'm in the process of building a 26" single speed.

    Still have my monocog 29 er but pick my 26" Dual sus any day of the week. I do feel the 29er has some positives but also some negatives. For instance, it handles like a bus. For me this is important as I like a bike that can handle tight twisty technical riding. I guess its just personal preference.

    Maybe when some builds a proven 6" 29er trail bike that handles like my current ride I take a look again.
    can be addressed through geometry. my 29er's (Soma juice ss, Ted Wojcik geared) both handle the tight, twisty stuff no problem but the Ted Wojcik just destroys it. Many builders and manufacturers have unlocked that mystery.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,145
    What about acceleration for short bursts? Like run ups to rock ledges.

    That is where I feel my MC29er struggles.

  9. #9
    Black Sheep rising
    Reputation: utabintarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by joltz
    What about acceleration for short bursts? Like run ups to rock ledges.

    That is where I feel my MC29er struggles.
    I would think this is more about gearing. I have found I am more able to make it over such obstacles with my 29er vs. the old 26er. I just tend to run a lower gear on the 29er than I ever did on the 26er. YMMV.
    Let the market decide!

    N42.58 W83.06

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,332
    No one overly slagging it off then, good!!!

    Just about to 69 my FS bike, so not a full 29er test but we'll see!!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,675

    sorry for the delay...

    Quote Originally Posted by joltz
    What about acceleration for short bursts? Like run ups to rock ledges.

    That is where I feel my MC29er struggles.
    Gearing, as has been pointed out could be an issue. another is the weight of the wheels. Rather than buy a new set, why not try stans no tubes and some lighter tires?. You will decrease your rotating mass enough to feel the difference, how much depends on what tires you already have.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

  12. #12
    Captain Underpants
    Reputation: Random Drivel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,300

    What frame am I

    Quote Originally Posted by edouble
    riding and was the frame designed to be used with that much travel?.
    Turner Sultan, 4" rear, around 5" front. The fork lengthens the WB about half an inch over a Reba. Chainstays are 18.2" or so.

    The words "designed to be used" and "Turner" are never to be used in the same sentence. Turners are modded and frankenbiked all the time.

    The bike is amazing, phenominal, awesome, and hella stiff, but there are some things that a 26er does better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •