mtbr member

Any other clydes with cassette troubles?

I've only been doing mtb for a little over a year. Current ride is a Kona splice. I realize that it's an entry level bike, but I'm on my third cassette right now, and it's not looking good.
    The factory Shimano exploded while mashing up a hill. Put on a SRAM PG850 and it did better, but two or three of the cogs started to "roll". The backside of the tooth where the chain engages the cog started to curl over causing my chain to skip. I've had a PG830 on for a month or so now and I can see it's starting to do the same thing. It's the only 8 spd that the LBS had in stock.

It's evident that it is happening to the cogs I use the most. I'm 6'2" and 215#. I ride hard and tend to mash a little more than spin.

It this common?
    Would upgrading to a 9 or 10 speed train allow me to buy a better cassette that would hold up better?
    By going to more speeds would I be more likely to spread the love (mashing) around to more gears?
    Should I just learn to spin more than mash?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well you're barely a Clyde, so it is quite likely to be your technique. I'd reckon that between you mashing and possibly being too harsh on gear changes you are trashing the gears. Some may tell you that you are laying down the huge power but 3 cassettes in a year isn't normal. Bent teeth says that you are putting a big lateral force on the chain to do that, so that reinforces my thoughts that you are possibly changing gear whilst mashing and doing the damage. What state are your chain and rear mech?
    Learn to sit and spin on the climbs and look ahead and change down in time. Make sure you back off the pressure on the pedals when you do change gear.
    If you upgrade, you'll just trash more expensive kit.

mtbr member

Re: Any other clydes with cassette troubles?

I realize I just barely qualify as a clyde now. When I started I was 235.
    With the exception of a very few "woops" moments I don't shift under load. I will admit that I have done it, but I make a concerted effort not to.

Chain is new with the last cassette.
    I don't necessarily mash because I don't think ahead, more of a mindset. I would rather stay in my big ring and drop one or two gears going into a climb and stand or hover while pedaling up than drop to granny and sit and spin.
    If that is my problem then maybe I need to adjust my style?

The bike is down to 2x8. I dropped the big ring for a bash, so I don't THINK cross chaining could contribute to the lateral force, especially since the ones showing the most wear are in the middle. Specifically 3-4.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Kick Start My Heart

No, not normal. I am 228 from 259, and this isn't normal. I've worn out plenty, on lots of hard riding, never trashed one lime that.
    From 8 to 9 or 10 generally = LESS strength. More gears is possible by reducing the width of the cogs and then reducing the distance between cogs. Under the gears/strength theory go the other way, you know, an awesome 5spd set!
    Anyway, sounds like its time to start spinning more. Try to keep rpm up, pedal circles, and save that mashing for occasional use only.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
    I realize I just barely qualify as a clyde now. When I started I was 235.
    With the exception of a very few "woops" moments I don't shift under load. I will admit that I have done it, but I make a concerted effort not to.

Chain is new with the last cassette.
    I don't necessarily mash because I don't think ahead, more of a mindset. I would rather stay in my big ring and drop one or two gears going into a climb and stand or hover while pedaling up than drop to granny and sit and spin.
    If that is my problem then maybe I need to adjust my style?

The bike is down to 2x8. I dropped the big ring for a bash, so I don't THINK cross chaining could contribute to the lateral force, especially since the ones showing the most wear are in the middle. Specifically 3-4.

Again, thanks for the advice.

I am 240 not geared up and never have bent any kind of cassette. But I think it is your riding style. If you are climbing in your big ring and stand, that is putting a lot of torque on the your drivetrain. It is always better to pre shift and sit, but you really don't have to spin. Me personally I choose a gear up from spin mode to get a combination of spin/mash.

mtbr member

Not normal at all. I'm 270ish currently in my birthday suit. Down from 300 when I bought my 29er back in January. I converted from 3x8 which had a couple hundred miles (paved and trails) still looked almost new and now have 2x10 and ride hard. I don't however stand and mash much. When i do stand i do it in only a couple gears higher than I would if i sit and spin and same muscle force as if sitting from my legs just with my body weight helping a bit.

My cassette after I'm not sure how many miles, 4-500 range is still in perfect shape. Somehow my aluminum raceface xtype granny ring looks like new damn near new (and until recently I lived on that ring on the trails) but my steel 32t m590 ring that came on my crank will need replaced by end of season. Steel ring does have around 700ish on it I'm guessing (ran it on 8s set up before going 2x10 since its a 9s crankset).

It's gotta be ur riding style. My 10s cassette is hg62, so not aluminum not sure if urs is aluminum or not. Can't run light weight parts, be into clyde size range, and mash like crazy without destroying the weight weenie parts.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Well, I started trying to retrain myself on my ride last night. I have to replace my cassette before too long, so I may talk to my lbs and look into a cassette with a lower low gear and maybe dropping from a 32 up front to a 28 or something to help me spin more.
    I was surprised that my time last night was almost identical to my "mashing" times. Not enough difference to worry about, anyway. It's going to take some concentration, but I think I can retrain myself.
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am barely a Clyde, but I have gone through my second xtr cassette this year. I keep breaking the rivets in the middle gears.

mtbr member
    I broke the rivets on my first one, but the last one I curled the teeth over badly.
    Either way I'd say that all the above advice was correct. Now the long road to burn it into my pea brain to stop mashing and start spinning.
    As long as my shifter comes in I'll be running a 1x10 11-36 setup by weeks end. Can't tear up another cassette. Just remember, spin, spin, spin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Not even on my tandems I have ever bend a cog or damage a cassette (430pounds combine, 240pounds solo) I do use high end shimano 9speed cassettes (XT/XTR)

Ps: I have been riding ATBikes for about 30 years so I guess experience does count..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I too would say not at all normal. I am 220, 6'3, and even when I was heavier, never had an issue with Cassettes or really any other part. I tend to ease up mid-shift, and gradually apply the torque, just like you might drive a high power car. it seems all about being smooth. I am on my second cassette, and the only reason I changed the XT I had was to get a different gear ratio. I had 2,200 miles on the XT, and sold it on EBay in great condition. Maybe try a Shimano? I have an XTR now, and after 900 miles it looks new. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
    I've only been doing mtb for a little over a year. Current ride is a Kona splice. I realize that it's an entry level bike, but I'm on my third cassette right now, and it's not looking good.
    The factory Shimano exploded while mashing up a hill. Put on a SRAM PG850 and it did better, but two or three of the cogs started to "roll". The backside of the tooth where the chain engages the cog started to curl over causing my chain to skip. I've had a PG830 on for a month or so now and I can see it's starting to do the same thing. It's the only 8 spd that the LBS had in stock.

It's evident that it is happening to the cogs I use the most. I'm 6'2" and 215#. I ride hard and tend to mash a little more than spin.

It this common?
    Would upgrading to a 9 or 10 speed train allow me to buy a better cassette that would hold up better?
    By going to more speeds would I be more likely to spread the love (mashing) around to more gears?
    Should I just learn to spin more than mash?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have also beaten up my fair share of parts. Your cassette issues sound like technique related issues to me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have had issues, bent gears broken chains, shifting while mashing was doing it. I burn out the bottom gear about every 2 months on a cassette because I do not shift and ride in top gear 90% of the time. I pull a 46 11 and the 11 wears out constantly, chains too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wesl4o4ak...2015.59.00.jpg
    I feel your pain. At least the 11t only costs $5 to replace.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am going to try and set my bike up with a bigger ring so I can get off the bottom gear, that should help save the chain as well. I road ride a MTB I built just for this purpose.