mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Any opinions on the Trek Slash?

For a while now Ive been looking to get into more aggressive riding. And this month I met my savings goal for my new ride. Initially I had my head set on a Santa Cruz nomad after A LOT of research (no where to test ride around here). So to make a long story short when I call up the LBS to place my order they tell me they have a wicked deal on '12 slash 8 (just a tad more than a grand off MSRP). It was kinda hard to pass up, last one in stock and my size. So Im a new slash owner. My question is does anybody have any Clyde based opinions on the rear susp.? I was really trying to stay away from the whole proprietary shock length/design, but I was lured in by the deal. Im familiar with Treks ABP, I currently ride a Fuel Ex. But the leverage ratio on the Slash is 2.6 vs 2.4 on the Fuel. Anyway your input in apprecaited. FWIW I weigh 230-240 ready to ride. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    being a fellow clyde who's interested in a Slash 9, i am subscribing to this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
    For a while now Ive been looking to get into more aggressive riding. And this month I met my savings goal for my new ride. Initially I had my head set on a Santa Cruz nomad after A LOT of research (no where to test ride around here). So to make a long story short when I call up the LBS to place my order they tell me they have a wicked deal on '12 slash 8 (just a tad more than a grand off MSRP). It was kinda hard to pass up, last one in stock and my size. So Im a new slash owner. My question is does anybody have any Clyde based opinions on the rear susp.? I was really trying to stay away from the whole proprietary shock length/design, but I was lured in by the deal. Im familiar with Treks ABP, I currently ride a Fuel Ex. But the leverage ratio on the Slash is 2.6 vs 2.4 on the Fuel. Anyway your input in apprecaited. FWIW I weigh 230-240 ready to ride. Thanks all.
    Theoretically Treks setup guide has shock psi setup at 10lbs over bodyweight so your shock pressure should be ~250psi. Should be fine on the bike if you like the feel of the DRCV which if you liked it on the fuel, I don't see why not. I ride a Trek Scratch Air 9, when I purchased it I was 320lbs and used a volume spacer to make it more progressive. I ran it at ~290-300psi with lev ratio of 2.68, but it had a standard Fox RP23 rear shock.

Do you have any rides in yet, curious to see how the slash rides for you, might buy one for myself and give the scratch air to my brother so he can ride with me next year since he weighs as much as I did when I bought it at 320lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have, and I must say Im 90% happy with it. The local bike parks have closed over here so I've only ridden the local trails. It climbs well enough where I think im the limiting factor not the bike. And the descents for the most part are point and shoot. However as the descents get faster, and hits get bigger I find im not to keen on the Rp2. Right now I have it set at 275, for 30% sag (I should be at 240-245 according to trek), and tha'tll let me hit the occasional 2-3foot drops we have, and not feel like its just wallow in the mid stroke on some of the longer descents. But again like I said for now that only make up 10% of my riding. I do however plan on hitting the local park next spring, before then I hope to swap shocks. Ive spoken to the gentleman over at iso tune and they can fit an RS vivid in there for 500 out the door, plug and play rdy. May give that a try.

On a side note this is the first time Ive ridden on a SRAM drive train, and i dont think Im ever going back to shimano!