Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any large Clyde roadies out there?

I'm looking for some advice on a possible custom Ti road frame. Would I be way off if I asked my builder for oversized tubing to handle my weight? I'm 6'6" 280ish and was thinking 38mm top tube and 44mm down tube. Do you guys think that's too overkill?

As long as I'm going custom should I stick with a 30bb or would you recommend another bb for a large Clyde?

Thanks for your feedback.

@adelorenzo
    Normally you tell them all the info like your height, weight, type of riding and what you want from your frame (stiff, flexy, comfortable, aero....) then they use their expertise to recommend the right tubing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am 6ft and 260 lbs and ride an off the rack Giant Carbon fiber road bike. I've had no issues.

Todd

Sent via Todd's IPhone using Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    6'6 and about 250 on a stock Madonen 5.2 in 64 cm. With about 1K miles on it, no issues so far. For a custom Carbon frame in our size or larger, I'd start with a call to Calfee.

mtbr member

Good job! Best Advice

Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    Normally you tell them all the info like your height, weight, type of riding and what you want from your frame (stiff, flexy, comfortable, aero....) then they use their expertise to recommend the right tubing.
    +1 Excellent advice. Talk to the guy whose building your frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    6'5" on a specialize 64cm Roubaix... Started at 300 and it felt flexy. From about 240lbs down it felt fine. I'm still learning to spin better and mash less to improve my riding skills.

Custom building I have no idea about. However, if it were me I'd be sure to target someone to who has success building for big guys before.

Former Bike Wrench
    Zinn specifically designs Titanium frames for tall and big cyclists...I'd think they would be the ones to go to for a custom road frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You should be fine on any stock frame if you under 300lb. Over that I could be tough to keep a frame for the long term. I'm 6'2 and 355lbs. I started at 380 lbs 5 years ago but 2 kids and former super stressful job slowed my weight loss but my custom ti road bike has held up extremely well and completed the Conquer Cancer ride in Quebec (285km in 2 days). At your height you will put a lot of extra stress on the frame and I but you can get a lightr bike made out of ti the carbon at the size you would need for your weight. Ckeck with builders like Lynsky if they can adjust tubing on one of their bikes with the appropriate tubing with out touching geometry and that should the price down a little.

FAT-BIKE.COM Groupie
    I'm 6'1" and started at 340, now 290lbs. I ride a Trek 2.3 and have had zero issues. Just watch out for them potholes and big cracks in the street and get your butt of the saddle in the rough stuff. I've had really good luck at least.
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Im 5 11 and 280 and have been riding a Cannondale Cadd2 (T700( touring as well as an older H300 HYbrid with no isues other than regular maintaiance

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    I'm looking for some advice on a possible custom Ti road frame. Would I be way off if I asked my builder for oversized tubing to handle my weight? I'm 6'6" 280ish and was thinking 38mm top tube and 44mm down tube. Do you guys think that's too overkill?

As long as I'm going custom should I stick with a 30bb or would you recommend another bb for a large Clyde?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Certain builders may only have access to certain tube sets. Did you pull those numbers out of the air, or do they actually make ti tubes in those diameters? Custom built doesn't mean any tube size. The tube sizes the builder has access to are the only ones you will be able to choose from, and I doubt any customer could choose the tubes better than the builder.

I'm 6'6" 280ish
    Then your downtube should look like a baseball bat.

Ti road frames built right are truly remarkable.

mtbr member
    @ happyriding,

The builder has 38 & 44mm downtubes. He attached some photos for me to look at. Will a diamond shape downtube (like on the road bike pic) "behave" differant than a round tube?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any large Clyde roadies out there?-triton-bikes-november-2011_66.jpg  

Any large Clyde roadies out there?-triton-bikes-october-2011_9.jpg  

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sorry no input beyond... WOW that frame is purdy... always loved the hidden cable runs (was one of the kewlest parts on my '88 GT commuter biker)... add to raw ti and it's just *drool*
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Will a diamond shape downtube (like on the road bike pic) "behave" differant than a round tube?
    A round tube is going to be equally stiff in all directions. An oval/rectangular tube will be stiffer along its longer axis and more flexible along it shorter axis. Ideally, you want a bike that is more flexible up and down, so that it doesn't feel harsh, and stiffer side to side to resist torque from the pedals. It appears the non-round tube in the picture achieves the opposite. Maybe ask the builder what the idea is behind the non-round shape and its orientation?

You might want to check out pictures of the tubes on bikes like Moots, Serotta, and Seven, and then compare your builder's tubes to their designs, and then try to figure out why your builder's design is better/same/worse.
    Last edited by happyriding; 12-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member

The second one is a single speed

Just sayin.

And the first one looks more like aluminum to me. Whatever and good luck with your new bike.

I'm astounded by the SIZE of some of you that are chiming in. I'm the biggest guy around on most of our group ride and I'm 210.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gthcarolina View Post
    I'm the biggest guy around on most of our group ride and I'm 210.
    How did you get in the door?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Pick your builder. He'll take care of the rest. Don't worry. If you want custom Ti, go for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm 6ft9 and 29stone... I have a custom Burls Ti Frame, but I have not had it long so I can't comment on how it will last but I can say that it feels amazing!!!! Before the Burls I had a XXL Specialized Allez Comp.

mtbr member
    Mammothrider, you have to post a pix of your bike. I'd love to see it.

mtbr member
    What wheels are you going with?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure, that's another big aspect of the ride that needs to be stout. I'd love to pick up some Enve 45 or 65's but price is a bit of a sticking point. I've seen a set of carbon Renolds on chainlove here and there but don't know anything about them.
    I'm up for any sugestions.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    36 hole Mavic CXP-33 with 28mm tires.

Universal Cycles -- Mavic CXP 33 Rim 2012

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    Mammothrider, you have to post a pix of your bike. I'd love to see it.
    I don't have a picture...but I will sort out a picture over the weekend (need some daylight)... anyway the spec is as follows
    • Burls Ti Bespoke frame
    • Alpha Q Z-Pro Carbon Forks
    • Campagnolo Corus groupset (apart from the crank)
    • Campagnolo Record 39/53 180mm crank
    • Mavic CXP33 rims 28F/36R with Sapim double butted spokes (2mm, 1.8mm, 2mm)
    • Hope Pro Hubs
    • Easton SLX90 Bars (46 C to C)
    • Rear Cassette is 12-29 (need the 29 for the hills)
    • Stem and Seatpost are Thomson
    • Mavic Race SL Ti pedals
    • Innertubes with Slime
    • Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres
    Last edited by TheMammothRider; 12-15-2011 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Those Easton bars will feel really narrow to you at 46 C to C. You should check the Zinn site. He has bars up to 48 C to C. I am ordering a pair for myself tomorrow. What type of fork are you using as well? Serotta has a Carbon fork for Super Clydes. It is the F3 10.5 with a 450mm steer tube and a super stiff lay-up. I have had mine for over 6 years and it is incredible.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big Kat View Post
    Those Easton bars will feel really narrow to you at 46 C to C. You should check the Zinn site. He has bars up to 48 C to C. I am ordering a pair for myself tomorrow. What type of fork are you using as well? Serotta has a Carbon fork for Super Clydes. It is the F3 10.5 with a 450mm steer tube and a super stiff lay-up. I have had mine for over 6 years and it is incredible.
    Serotta forks usually cost more than some fully equipped bikes! Nitto noodle bars come in 48cm widths.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast