mtbr member

Any Clysedale freeriders?

I am 6'4", 250. It seems most clydes on the forum here are XC guys and I'd say I'm more freeride/allmountain. I like the ride up but would much rather hit jumps and drops (up to 5-6 feet max on mt I ride).

I ride a Norco Manik freeride hardtail and it handles everything I've dished, but would love a full suspension rig soon. ANy clyde freeriders with recommendations for a guy my size? I need to be able to get it up the hill first, but need a ride beefy enough for me.
    Just grip it and rip it, that's how I live my life.

mtbr member
    Im 6'2", 260, and my Norco Shore 2 has been great for me. I ride in BC mainly Woodlot and Whistler Mtn Bike Park and my Norco has never given me any problems, is tough as nails, and has really improved my riding.

It is not light be any means but has 2 rings up front and a telescoping seatpost for climbing. The rear suspension is Horst Link with no brake jack under braking, never bottoms out, and really smooth.

The only changes I made were higher temp fluid for the Avid Juicy's, a higher rate spring (700 x 2.55) for the rear suspension, and a Truvativ handlebar to replace the Syncros one that never felt right for some reason. I will probably update the brakes to Codes one day but that is it. Norcos probably outnumber other bikes 2-1 on most of the trails around here and there is good reason.
    Last edited by ryando; 10-13-2007 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    6'2" and 270 here riding an '06 Kona Coiler for what I guess I'd call a heavy/aggressive AM bike. It's definitely stout enough to do drops and jumps, but there aren't really any good ones on the trails I normally ride.

Brackish
    I'm 230# and I use a Kona Coiler Deluxe as my trail bike and for drops and jumps, skinnies and such and it works out great. I 've done a 5 footer on it and it felt great. I have a Transition Dirtbag with an 888 for the heavy freeride and bike park stuff and that bike is a winner too. I was 250# in January when I picked up the DB and it's handled everything I've thrown at it.

mtbr member
    6'3", 230lbs here. I'm riding a 2007 RMX team, a 2004 Norco Six, a 1998 K2 4000, and a speedy 2006 Cervelo Dual. Been doing a lot of freeride type stuff since 2003, and just started some DH racing this season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm 6'5", 205 lbs. I live in Vancouver. I ride my big bike everywhere. Mostly on the Shore but also Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton. I would consider myself to be a strong fit rider. I like my drops, my skinnies and I also like to climb. Preferably all on the same bike.

I have a size large Knolly V-tach and an extra large 05 Specialized Enduro. The Enduro is my xc bike. It's capable but not nearly like the V-Tach, which is my preference on all but the most extended rides.

The V-Tach pedals like crazy, is a good climber for its weight and is without a doubt the best descender I've ever ridden. I've owned a Turner RFX, Specialized Bit Hit, Santa Cruz VP Free and others.

The V-Tach ain't cheap and it is a lot of bike. I'm a big guy and have learned to love pedalling a big bike around. Since owning the V-Tach everything else feels wimpy.

Depending on where you live you'll have to evaluate how much beef is really worth hauling around... In Vancouver it's definitely worth it. But if I lived somewhere smoother then maybe not? I guess it all depends what you're looking for.

A big $0.02 is that bikes that are in the AM designation are really long-travel xc bikes. For a smaller/lighter rider this is great. For a taller/heavier guy this just means that the component parts are longer (to generate more travel) so when you apply your greater weight/leverage these types of bikes tend to give.

I ended up on the V-Tach because it is unyielding. It is super-solid. I use my V-Tach like many people use their AM/Freeride bikes because this is how far I have to go to get the type of strength/stiffness a smaller person could get from a lighter bike. Does that make sense? Most manufacturers don't redesign their bikes for the taller/heavier riders. The tubes and bits just get longer and flexier. So you have to start with a tough-as-nails bike that will still be strong and stiff in the bigger sizes. Does that make sense?

It's not just weight but leverage. I don't think these parts were designed for my 35" inseam or my 37" arms. They were designed for some much much smaller person. So when 5'8" shop guy tells you "Oh you're over 6' you should be on the XL" or "Oh this is tough enough for you" don't believe him. He doesn't know anything. Find other local riders your size doing what you're doing and get their input and go from there. The shop guys know nothing of the quandaries of taller freeriders. Even here in Vancouver.

just along for the ride
    I have a 11#+ KHS freeride 4 bar 19 inch frame that is the first bike I can't break having fun at 215# the past 8 years, granted it has the burly Zoke fork so it may not just be me

Brackish
    asin's post is right on the money, and illustrates why I, at 6' 2" and 230#, use an '06 Coiler Deluxe stock as a XC bike: extra beef. As function of the percentage of my body weight the extra weight on the Coiler is no big deal at all, and the extra confidence of not having bits flexing and breaking under me is well worth it!

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got a Fisher Cake 2 DLX that I use more as a trail bike. At 6' 235 lb, I know the bike wasn't meant for really big or really hard riding from a guy like me, but it still gets thrown around aggressive XC / moderate AM (up to 5 ft of air with good transitions) with some urban and FR tricks thrown in for good measure.

My next ride will likely be based on the new Banshee Rune and will be set up for a lot more serious AM and more urban / FR tricks.

Hey, I live in a river city with lots of stairs....I can admit I have weak moments and like the man-made stuff
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 6-2 215 lbs, and ride a Norco Six for xc/trail/am/light freeride and a Norco Team DH for heavy FR/DH/Whistler. Had a Norco Shore before that as my one-bike-quiver - it was awesome but a slow climber at 43-46 lbs.

I would highly recommend the Six for AM/light freeride - that's what it is made for and works great for us big guys. For heavier FR/DH stuff, the Shore is better (I will be getting the sweet new 08 Shore to replace the Team DH).

Captain Underpants
    Good post, Asin. I have been looking at the Knolly DT for lightweight FR duties, from what I have seen it will be more than capable of handling my 250#. I just don't want to end up with a long travel XC bike masquerading as an AM/FR bike, but want something that was designed burly from the ground up--otherwise I'll break it. Knolly seems to "get it" in reagards to the design elements I am looking for. Plus the TT is sized perfectly for me

My turner Sultan with the 5" travel fork will remain my XC rig

Glad to Be Alive
    knolly v-tach are some sturdy bikes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

amc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 320 and have an 07 Rocky Mountain Switch 1. I will take all the drops you can take. It is heavy so you wear out sooner.

long standing member
    Freeride is fun. Just got into doing lift-assisted DHing this summer at Diablo Freeride Park and it's the most fun I've had on two wheels. My Turner RFX is holding up OK under my 265lb body, but I could use a little more travel and stiffness front and rear, especially in the rough stuff. I'm looking hard for a dedicated DH/FR frame, my list includes:
    • Knolly V-tach (1st choice)
    • Transition Blindside (budget choice)
    • Ventana El Cuervo (long-travel choice)
    • Specialized Demo 8 (support the LBS choice)
    • Turner Highline (short-travel choice)

Any comments or other suggestions are welcome.

You guys should post some pics in the Hucking Clyde thread. I put some new pics up there to bring it back to the top of the thread list.

Brackish
    Well, I don't have a Blindside but I do have two Transitions myself and my wife has one: great company, outstanding customer service and for being a budget-priced brand they have top-shelf performance. I have an '06 Dirtbag as my big bike, and with an 888 and a parts spec with no compromises the complete rig still cost me less than some manufacturer's freeride framesets. Never has a pivot loosened up on it, and never has it failed to have my back in sketchy situations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Big Dutch,
    I am 6'8", 230lbs and ride Galby, Blanchard and Chuckanut on a regular basis. This summer I bought a xl Norco Six from Russ at Clarks. The bike rocks. Mine is heavy, 38pounds with a handbuilt dh rear wheel, but it pedals great and will soak up everything one could throw at it on Galby. Some will say I am to tall for this bike, but I have found it very comfortable. I know of another tall (6'9) rider in Bham that has one as well and really likes it.

With a screen name like "Big Dutch" are you from a small town in north Whatcom County that has a windmill?

bigE

StraightOuttaCompton
    a hell yea, i ride an IH Kumicho and it is bombass
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a Banshee Scream with a Marz. 66 up front. I've gotten the weight down to 44 lbs from a previous 51lbs(Monster T, full on DH tires). I'm taking the Profiles off and replacing them with Holzefellers and the the E-13 SRS off and replacing it with a DRS and a front der and left shifter. I'm hoping with that and few other changes (Thomson stem, lighter bars) to get the bike to about 40-41. I could pedal it at 52 lbs, but now that I've lost 50lbs, I'm thinking I can lose weight off the bike too, without the fear or breakage..

My trail bike is a Giant Trance which I LOVE. I wouldn't take it off of any big drops tho.