mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Any Clydes running Tubeless that are 300+

I'm considering running tubeless, the question I have is I'm 330lbs and when I use the formula that stans wheels have on their website, my PSI exceeds the tire pressure for tubeless. I'm curious if there are big guys in the 300 pound class running tubeless and if so what are your psi settings?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am in for the same question I also am 330lbs and was also looking at going tubeless. I had a set of WTB Laser TCS Freeride Rims built and just saw they can be set up to run tubeless.

I'm Slow
    I'm 270, by Stan's Calc I should be 38.5. I have been running 30 rear 25 front just fine. I could probably go 25 rear/20 front but I like a firmer tire. I am running 29er Flow's with Maxxis Igintors 29x2.1
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Hi Guys,

I weigh in at about 290# and have been running Stans Flows with Spesh 2bliss tires 2.2 (front) and 2.0 (rear).
    I've been runing them at 30 - 35psi without any issues.
    I had a tire blow off my rear Stans after getting it back from my lbs on my ride home once. They forgot to lower the pressure down from 60 psi (to seat the tire). I would not run any tire on a Stans any higher than 45psi.
    The only other time I had a tire blow off on the trail was when I came down hard off a drop and my wheel got caught on a rut and threw me over the bars and the wheel popped off.
    I would never go back to tubes. I'd say give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Never tried tubless tires, but I'm thinking about it. What do you do when you flat out in the middle of nowhere? Do you carry spare tubes for that?

mtbr member
    Yep, right on. I carry a tube in my bag when I'm on the trail. I've had the same tube in my bag for over a year and a half. That should speak enough for the tubeless system.
    You can run a standard tube in a tubeless rim no problem if you decide you don't like it for some reason.

I'm Slow
    Yeah I carry a spare tube in a seatpost bag. I've never used it. I might need to check it for dry rotting, now that I'm thinking about.

If I did have a flat I would use some duct tape, I have a short strip in the bag, to "patch" any large rips. And then you take out the valve stem (no tools needed), and put in a tube just like normal.

@adelorenzo
    @Bunyan Your LBS should never have put 60 psi in a tire on a Stan's rim, 40 is the max allowed and more than enough to set the bead.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    do you find that 40lbs is enough pressure in the tire when you have to ride on less then ideal surfaces like paved roads :-) I tend to ride several miles on road to reach the trail head often time I run 45-60psi then lower once I hit the trail

I'm Slow
    Yeah I usually pump both up to 38~40 when I do a road ride, but I don't do that very often. Seems fine to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Good to know

So nice to see I'm not the only 330lb clyde on this site. Thanks for all the info everyone. After blowing out my shimano rear hub on my 29er for the second time and my swiss rear hub on my 26er while my 29er was getting fixed (all within 2 weeks) I decided to drop coin on new wheel sets for both. I did some Stan's Flows for my 29er and Mavics for my 26er. Got them one day before heading to Tahoe so set both up with tubes because of lack of time and some doubts about my size and running tubeless. Been back for a few weeks and playing with idea of running tubeless. Now I know I can. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I used dt swiss non tubeless type wheels with stans and ran 55 psi in the rear and 30 psi up front when I was 350 and had no issues. Now I use stans flows with 45 rear and 28 in front and no probs.

mtbr member
    I weigh 302. I run 35 in the back and 30-35 in the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Close to 300# on Mavic C29ssmax w/ Specialized Renegades and only had one bead break....but pumped it back up on the trail with zero seating problems and have been riding ever since with no problems

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    Yeah I carry a spare tube in a seatpost bag. I've never used it. I might need to check it for dry rotting, now that I'm thinking about.

If I did have a flat I would use some duct tape, I have a short strip in the bag, to "patch" any large rips. And then you take out the valve stem (no tools needed), and put in a tube just like normal.

A piece of toothpaste tube cut into a large square works really well as a temp patch for a torn sidewall. Its got me out of trouble a couple of times, plus it makes your pack smell minty fresh

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm 295 with gear surely over 300.....I'm running 2.4 ardent on mtx33's tubeless at 22lbs front and 24lbs in the back. Tubeless, no problems. Those tires aren't even made for tubeless. I hear the occasional sealant spit if I really hit a hard jagged rock....but that's really rare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great info. here. Quick newb question: I have a WTB Stout Race tire I want to put on my Flows for wet/winter riding. Right now I'm set up tubeless, but I've heard the Stout doesn't play nice with tubeless. Does it matter what kind of tube you run with Flows? A dumb question, I know.