mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Any Clydes running plastic platform pedals?

I'm scared of 'em myself, but is my fear a false assumption? Can they work for some light easy trail riding?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

My Brain Hurts!
    I have the stock pedals on my Sedona. But that is my commuter/city bike. Though I do want to change them as I feel metal pedals would last longer and be more durable. I have no reason to say this is true, I just have a feeling.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    They will not last. When alloy pedals can be had used for under $10 and under $20 new, it is not worth the risk, My 85# daughter has broken several plastic pedals... how do you think a clyde would fare?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch
    They will not last. When alloy pedals can be had used for under $10 and under $20 new, it is not worth the risk, My 85# daughter has broken several plastic pedals... how do you think a clyde would fare?
    Yeah, I wouldn't use them either. I was wondering about some of those fiberglass/plastic composite or nylon/plastic BMX style platforms like the Primo Stricker PC or Eclat or Eastern stuffthough. They look pretty strong-at least for towpath type riding anyway. My wife won't use aluminum or magnesium because she doesn't want to tear her legs up on the sharp pins.She's not going to ride that hard so I guess they're OK for her...stronger than the nylon bear trap style pedals from her old bike. I'm going to use monster Primo Tenderizers when I go rough and Wellgo MG-4a mags on the tip-toe trails when I ride with her. Seems like a good plan. (for my new builds)
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I (6' 5" @ 265lbs) used some plastic platforms pedals for a year or so on my old steel GT hardtail for trail riding. Of course, all pedals are not created equally. I don't remember which ones I had, but they lasted just fine and are still in good shape.