'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

Any Clydes riding a pushed rp23?

I loved my first rp23 (6.5x1.5 2007) on my XC bike, but know that I am running one (7.875x2.0 2008) on my AM bike, I am not as impressed. The suspension design off both bikes is a faux - bar type (Dakar XC and Dakar XLT), so you wouldn't think there would be that big of a difference.

In the most firm setting, it feels a little soft to me. I am considering having it PUSHed. Anyone riding a pushed rp23? How is it? Worth the $150 for the factory tune?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

RP-23 for Clyde from Push

I am and love it...had it since March on my Giant Trance. Told them my weight and that I wanted little if any bob. The shock has not bottomed out once and I have only added air once. They set the pressue at 235 psi, spring rate of 1, preload at 1 turn and boost pressure at 1 psi

Compression 1 out from full clockwise
    Rebound 4 turns out from full clockwise

Worth every penny.

I weigh 235 and kick the asses of my homies at 185 lbs.

Glad to Be Alive
    push does top flight service to the shock.....my question would not be shock but frame design......will the pushed shock be better then the performance of the bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Bike Wrench
    The XLT (which is the bike I ride, and I'm 225lbs for reference) seems to benefit from a larger volume shock. I was not impressed with the Float R my XLT came with as I needed to add way too much air to get proper sag...which made the ride very stiff and I was only getting about 2/3 of the travel. If I set it softer, the bike wollowed in its travel horribly. I personally ended up with a X-Fusion shock which has higher air volume (I run 55psi lower) and a more effective (and adjustable) dampening platform. If I were using a Float RP23, I'd get a high volume air sleave from PUSH first before having the full service done. That alone may make a considerable difference.

mtbr member
    Does the rp23 maintain the adjustability after being pushed (pro-pedal and the switch)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Yes

It only will have two settings after they work on it...plus and negative..which is more or less pro pedal. Pressure is of course adjustable.

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys. I will be saving my pennies until I can get both the AVA sleeve and the factory tune. I had the AVA on my XC expert and liked how much smoother it felt.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Anyone know if there's a big difference in parts depending on the weight of the rider?

I'm 270 right now but I'm planning on dropping back to 220-230 over the coming months (hey, I can dream).

Will the only difference be in settings or do they use different parts for heavier guys?

In other words, if I have it pushed now, will I have to get it pushed again when I get lighter?
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    Anyone know if there's a big difference in parts depending on the weight of the rider?

I'm 270 right now but I'm planning on dropping back to 220-230 over the coming months (hey, I can dream).

Will the only difference be in settings or do they use different parts for heavier guys?

In other words, if I have it pushed now, will I have to get it pushed again when I get lighter?
    They would valve it differently for a 270lb rider vs. 230. Once it's Push'ed the cost to get the valving adjusted for a different rider weight isn't too bad (somewhere around $70'ish I think).

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    They would valve it differently for a 270lb rider vs. 230. Once it's Push'ed the cost to get the valving adjusted for a different rider weight isn't too bad (somewhere around $70'ish I think).
    Thanks Larry, I'll hold off for the moment then (not least since I'm riding it constantly and don't have the $400 to get the fork done at the same time).
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

what...?
    I just bought a Pushed RP23 adjusted to my style (225lbs and ride all mtn) and it rode like a brick.
    I sent it back yesterday in hopes they will retune it to my liking.

I previously had a Pushed Float on my Element and it was pure silk. Just beautiful. That's why I am so suprised the RP23 rode like crap.
    Without love in a dream it will never come true