mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Any Clydes riding Manitou Tower

Hey my fellow clydes,

Im at about 225lbs and looking at the Manitou tower fork. Anyone running one? I just got rid of a reba rlt ti and in my opinion it could not handle my weight. So looking for something that will actually lock out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not tower, but I am riding Minute Pro for some time now. Holds my weight well and the ABS+ allows to lock the fork without problems. I weigh ~240lb geared

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks, any noticable flex ( beyond normal) while braking or anything

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not that it would bother me.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    260lbs here. Briefly rode one and it seemed nice, but felt like it definitely needed the firmer spring.

Have also spent a few weeks aboard the Reba RLT and wasn't particularly troubled by it. The Fox F29 has been fine for me too. My favorite though is the 2011 Marzocchi 44 Micro-Ti.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah if I go the tower route will order firm spring with fork.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    Not tower, but I am riding Minute Pro for some time now. Holds my weight well and the ABS+ allows to lock the fork without problems. I weigh ~240lb geared
    x2, and nearly the same weight. (I have read that the Tower is basically a 2011 version of the Minute in new skins) I run the 20mm thru axle version and overall happy with the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the 2011 Manitou Tower Expert (which has a coil spring with air assist). I choose this over the Pro based on many reviews regarding the ability to handle weight. I did not ride the fork on the factory spring, but ordered the stiff spring, so I cannot comment on the spring the fork came with. Changing the spring out is easy...just have a way of measuring 16cc's of synthetic motor oil and some basic tools.

I would order the 20mm TA if I were to do it again. I did order the 9mm QR with anticipation of the 15mm QR coming this fall (I have Mavic C29SSMAX with 9mm-->15mm conversion). I only have a couple of hours on the fork, and will wait for a few months to really evaluate its performance. I would take a chance and order one (I found the best price on Speedgoat), because I have found used models selling for close to my new purchase price. And if you don't like it....you won't loose much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I picked up a carbon white brothers rigid, I was not sure how I was going to like it, reason I asked about the manitou. And to be honest, I love the rigid, for here in the Midwest. I saved 2lbs on my bike, bike handled awesome I was faster, all over. The biggest thing besides the no bob on climbs was no push in turns.

If any of you have the oppurtunity to try rigid, you may like it.

Thanks again for all your replies

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I try rigid everytime I click my MILO. Then when I am stick of feeling all the roots and rocks, I unclick to feel nothing!!

Best of luck with your new fork.