mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Any Clydes on a Motobecane or Sette?

I though I would just ask straight out since I couldnt find the information via search....

Do any of you Clydes currently ride a MB or Sette bike?...this kind of goes along with my post about frame vs components....

If so, can you share your + and - experiences?
    thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I presently ride a Sette Ace and must say I love the bike. And it has defiantly impressed many of my friends and local riders that are always wanting to take it for a spin sense its not your normal trek or specalized. out of all the times I've ridden others rides as they try out the Sette the only one I would trade it for was a epic 29r but then again I think he had 6-8K in that thing. The thing that impresses those who take mine for a spin is how there is no peddle bob unless your out of the saddle attacking and on a 20%+ grade. The Ace has been replaced with the Derro I cant comment on how it rides but if it is a upgrade from the Ace it will be a damn good bike. Here is a pic of my girl not the best pick but what can you expect from a cell phone pic 10 miles down the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    270 lbs on the unbranded moto steel frame off bikeisland. It's killer for southeast MI xc.

Former Bike Wrench
    Owned a Windsor (also Bikes Direct, but made by Ideal instead of Kinesis) for a Year and it was plenty stout under my then ~235# total weight. I swapped it out for a Performance Access frame which was lighter but also made by Ideal and it lasted two years with me pounding it before weld at the seat tube/top tube junction failed.

Which models are you looking at

FYI-the steel Moto is a KHS made frame, very solid

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For the Sette, I am looking at the Sette Razzo 1.0 (XT/SLX 10 speed) or 2.0( SRAM x7,x9 9 speed) - they are $100 difference , the 2.0 being cheaper by $100

For the MB, the Fantom or Gravity HT 29er..again, depends on which components I settle on

maybe even the Fantom Elite..its 899...but also will depend on WHEN i get the money together

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have also considered the Giant XTC 29er 2... lower end components though...but in my mind i know they would last a few years

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have been very happy with my Moto Fantom DS Pro, with me and gear @ about 235 lbs. I use it for XC, so can't comment on all that weight plus any significant drops.

I was looking for a stout frame w/an excellent drivetrain (XTR), and saw no reason to look for a lighter bike at my size. Looks like you are looking for something similar.

The one area I would look into, especially for the 29ers, is whether the wheels could hold up to your weight/torque. As a clyde, I find most of my research for a purchase goes in this area as it is the source of most of my bikes' downtime. For the case of my Moto, I did have to replace the rear wheel after a little less than a year (but lots of miles & vertical feet) as I was having a lot of trouble keeping it true (user/abuser error a big factor), and the soft aluminum cassette carrier had become too cut up from the low-spec cassette. I expected that I would have to replace the lightweight wheels (Vuelta XRP Pro) sooner or later, so this was no big deal to me.

Finally, I bought mine from BikesDirect and that experience was also positive. I have not had a reason for post-sale support, but the bike arrived promptly and as expected (a couple spec substitutes that were acceptable). Exactly what I want from a retailer.

Good luck!
    Paul

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's bit bit early for me to tell but I pulled the trigger on Fantom Pro 29er. Cycle Spectrum had a 2011 XT/XT/XTR on the floor upgraded to the Elixar CRs for the same $1295 as BD is getting for the 2012. If the Kinesis frame turns out to be crap i still have a good build kit

I'm eying these 29'' Vuelta Pro SL for $249 interested in hearing more about J's experience.Think it would have been better with a cassette up grade?
    My kid has them in 26" on his Flypro he picked up. We will see how they last compared to the WTB laserdiscs on mine.

Hope to thrash the bikes for the first offroad ride tomorrow.
    Bought the Flypro from bikeisland.com BD scratch and dent and so far has been positive
    Last edited by jaydee1445; 01-21-2012 at 05:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That was my thinking down the road if I didnt like the MB or Sette frames....other frames seem to be fairly cheap and I would still have the higher end components left over...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi Jaydee,

Congrats on the new bike. I hope it works out well for you.

Let me follow up on my experience with the Vuelta rear wheel I noted above. My main point was that I think us clydes are asking a lot of any bike wheels, not Vuelta specific.

I do think an upgraded cassette would have eliminated the problem on the rear freehub body (incorrectly called it cassette carrier above). I would expect that using a cassette where the lower gears are all mounted on a common carrier (e.g. shimano XT/XTR or SRAM 990) gets rid of the problem completely.

As for keeping the wheels true, I have to take the blame for that. Early on in the bike's life, I shifted the chain in between the cassette and those nice, bladed spokes. Under load of course. That cut/bent several of them. None broke at the time, but strength/tensions must have been compromised. A few months later, spokes started breaking. Coupling regular drive-side spoke failures with VERY difficult cassette removal meant the wheel had to go!

Summary for your decision:
    1. if you get wheels with an aluminum free hub body, upgrade the cassette!
    2. Maybe I wouldn't have had any spoke failures if I had adjusted the rear der. properly. In this case, I would still be riding on my Vuelta rear wheel
    3. I still use the Vuelta front wheel, with no problems to date

I hope that helps,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

29er deal

Sounds too good to be true but worth a look. All I can figure is it must be pretty scuffed scratched. Bike Island is BD's scratch and dent. Son bought a Flypro from them and is happy. I just paid $1295 for a Fantom 29 pro so this ones a steal at $595. Looks like the specs might be off my 2011 didn't have the thru axle Reba. If I had the spare change I'd buy it to flip on CL.
    2010 Motobecane Fantom 29 Pro Mountain Bike Shimano Dyna SYS XTR/XT 30Speed Front Suspension

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I clicked on the link and there was no drop down window for what size the bike was...I looked at all of their other mtb bikes and didnt see any in my size...but I would buy a "factory second" in a heart beat

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    either they sold it this morning or realized it was priced too cheap ; ) inventory changes daily
    click the drop down menu to see all the sizes

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1 240#'s and pulled the trigger on a Fantom 29Pro X9 about an hour ago.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm 5'10" and #240 and have a Sette Reken (medium) "frankenbike" that I built up about 2yrs. ago. I also have a Specialized Hardrock sport/disk 29" that I bought late 2010. I switch back and forth between them, depending on my mood, and sometimes one or the other having little maintenance issues. They both handle local fire roads and trails, I'm not a super aggro rider but I've crashed several times on the sette (because I do more "new to me" trails on the 26"reken; more exploring) it's never been damaged by any of my various endo's...My only problem with my sette in general is that I wonder sometimes if I should've gone with the "large" size frame, (my height was in the transitional area med/large on the sizing chart when I ordered it) I like a smaller/lighter frame, but I think a longer Top Tube would've fit me better(?) Sette IS on my short list for when I start shopping for a full suspension bike/frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sette Razzo 29er, 260lbs, 6'3", 20" frame.

Here's the thread and the build: Trigger = pulled or I just bought my Razzo!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 6'2" and was about 265 when I got my Motobecane Fantom Pro Ti. I've always been a big guy but not a total lardass. I'd just spent the last couple of years in the gym trying to get as strong as I could. Anyway, I kinda got sick of that and started cycling again. I was riding on the road about 150 miles/week (on a Cannondale Synapse 6) toward the end of the season last year and riding my MTB regularly on the weekends.

I destroyed a couple of parts on my Motobecane, a front wheel and a crankset. The wheel thing could have happened to anyone and the crankset was screwed up more by my mechanical "abilities" than anything else. I had a couple of spectacular crashes but the frame held up wonderfully. In fact, I destroyed myself before I trashed the frame. I crashed in a race and broke a few ribs and collapsed a lung but the bike was fine.

Anyway, I'm about 20-25 pounds lighter this year and my Motobecane feels better than ever. The only thing I'd change about my bike would be to install a beefier front fork. But as I spend less and less time in the gym and more on the road and trail, even that won't be an issue for long.

If you're a big guy looking for a strong, reasonably-price frame, you owe it to yourself to consider a titanium Motobecane.