Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,501

    Any clydes on Light Bicycle carbon wheels?

    I'm 240lbs which isn't huge but plenty of wheels have 180-200lb limits. I see that they make 110-120kb limit wheels but still curious if anyone heavier is using them and what they think about them.

    Would be going on a 5.5" AM 29er.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    187
    I have been going back and forth on a lighter wheel set, but at 240 with gear I have been nervious about dropping that much money on something with out knowing they will support me.

    Found this:

    Roval SL the only option for sub 240lb riders?
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    55

    Any clydes on Light Bicycle carbon wheels?

    I have the AM version of the 29" hookless. Absolutely perfect. Super durable looking and feeling rim. Went with 32 hole front and back, j-bend spokes, and DTSWISS 350 hubs. I am 6 feet 230 fully kitted. Ride combination XC and trail here in the San Diego area. PicsAny clydes on Light Bicycle carbon wheels?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399300807.048577.jpgAny clydes on Light Bicycle carbon wheels?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399300821.717179.jpgAny clydes on Light Bicycle carbon wheels?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399300843.966038.jpgAny clydes on Light Bicycle carbon wheels?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399300855.987567.jpg

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    Do they come built or do they give you a pile of spokes and a hub and you have to find someone to build it?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    55

    Any clydes on Light Bicycle carbon wheels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Do they come built or do they give you a pile of spokes and a hub and you have to find someone to build it?
    You can get the pre built with I believe Chris king hubs. I chose to just get the rims and have my lbs build up the wheels.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    When I went on you could choose between Novatec or Hope I think... I'm not sure I want something as bling as Hope or as cheap as Novatec so maybe I'd just get the hoops.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    When I went on you could choose between Novatec or Hope I think... I'm not sure I want something as bling as Hope or as cheap as Novatec so maybe I'd just get the hoops.
    Novatec hubs are actually very good for the money. If your not going to spring for Hopes then the Novatec hubs are as good as anything below that price point. They actually make many of the OEM hubs you see on pretty expensive bikes.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Novatec hubs are actually very good for the money. If your not going to spring for Hopes then the Novatec hubs are as good as anything below that price point. They actually make many of the OEM hubs you see on pretty expensive bikes.
    I'm just nervous because of my weight... 240, not huge but definitely not light.

    I might spring for the Hopes, just not sure. What other hubs around that price point? DT Swiss 240 or 350? I admittedly have not done enough research.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I'm just nervous because of my weight... 240, not huge but definitely not light.

    I might spring for the Hopes, just not sure. What other hubs around that price point? DT Swiss 240 or 350? I admittedly have not done enough research.
    DT 350 and White Industries are in the similar price range as Hope and do well with big riders. For a smidge more Hadley hubs are really nice.

    Both the White Industries and Hadley hubs use a titanium freehub body which will be more durable than an aluminum freehub body.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    delete
    Last edited by Alias530; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:33 PM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    Would you pick DT or Hope?

Similar Threads

  1. Light-bicycle 29er carbon wheels ????
    By Rich24 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 277
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 04:38 AM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-16-2014, 05:35 AM
  3. Which Stan's tubeless kit for Light Bicycle 27.5 wheels
    By beachbum1 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-27-2013, 06:03 PM
  4. Any Clydes on Carbon Wheels?
    By nevermiss in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 07:31 AM
  5. Clydes and Carbon Wheels
    By Bunyan in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •