mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Any Clydes on a GT Carbon?

Hi all,

Back from some time away from the bike and decided to jump in with both feet into a new area for me, Full suspension XC. I found a great deal on a brand new GT Zaskar 100 Pro which is a carbon frame and decided to get it based on the positive(but somewhat few) reviews I could find on it.

I'm currently 6'2 255lbs and will be about 225 around July(that is the plan anyway) which is likely around where I will stay. I've been riding my road bike since early January and am down 17lbs. as of today.

Anyway, wondering if any clydes here are riding one of these or another GT bike of this suspension design? How are they working out for you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Clydes on a GT Carbon?-%24-kgrhqr-jgfdlc6on-2bq4eficpcw%7E%7E60_57.jpg  

"save a plant, eat an animal"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awsome looking bike! Looks pretty solid to me. GT's approach to FS has been to keep the drivetrain length stable while the rear suspension is active. Definitely contributed to FS improvements IMO. What size is that frame?

mtbr member

Re: Any Clydes on a GT Carbon?

Im 225 to 235 any give day, Ive ridden a carbon Zaskar like that for a couple of hours, its an awesome ride. One of my trail bikes is a sensor 9r and Ive been flogging that for two years now, its a great suspension system and has held up to a ton of abuse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Graham77, This frame is a Large and this proved to be the trickiest part for me...I have a GT road bike that is an XL and logic would say an XL would fit me here but that's not the case. I also found that the sizing is different between this bike and the "9r" version of this same bike, I would have needed an XL had I went with that one. Buying online without the chance to try it out for size or performance is a bit of a gamble I guess!

Rustybkr, I'm glad to hear you like the design and ride of the GT's and am looking forward to getting it out on the trail, waiting on a shock pump I ordered to show up so I can set up the suspension, arrrggg!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Update: Like a kid on Christmas Day I waited for the UPS guy to bring my shock pump, and he did! Within half an hour I was on my way to the trail head to try the bike out. I am very impressed with it after this first ride, mainly the climbing. My only basis for comparison is my hard tail and this felt pretty much like my hard tail did except the setup on this bike is better, not sure if it's the headtube length or the stem/riser combo but it just works really well together. It was also the first time on a 2x10 setup for me and that turned out to work just fine other than not having enough gear to pedal on the fast descents but I'm ok with that. I learned how to set the RP23 shock really quick and it works pretty great, I actually preferred having it on the propedal(think thats what its called) setting for most of the ride, it absorbs impact well that way and doesn't distract with really any bobbing.

All in all I'm very happy with this design so far!