Trail Cubist

Any Clydes gone from a 29er to a 27.5? What did you think?

I've been happily riding my 29er for the past 4 years, and it's still going strong and bringing grins to my face. The 29er was the first MTB I ever rode---coming from a road biking background the big wheels just felt right and made sense.

Flash forward to now, and suddenly (after being too busy to pay attention for the past couple years) I log on to MTBR and see 27.5 forums and posts all over the place. HUH?! When did this happen? LOL

I admit I'm intrigued. I'm 5'11" and around 220lbs (pretty fit), and there's no way in hell I'd ever ride a 26" bike---it feels like my 4-year-old daughter's bike, LOL.

But I'm curious about the 27.5. A brief scan of reviews all seem to suggest that the 27.5 is the perfect sweet spot between the two. SO many reviews said this that I started becoming dubious---isn't this the EXPECTED review of a "Goldilocks" bike---not too small, not too big?

I like my 29er's big size. I love its speed and runaway-freight-train tendencies. I love how it rolls over anything with relative ease.

Yes, once in a while on really tight trails, I'll find myself wishing it was a bit more nimble...but I can still ride tight, 4' u-turns without falling over. (Okay---occasionally I'll use the "grab a tree and slingshot around" method, but I've gotten pretty good at that, LOL.)

So am I missing anything? I'm curious to hear if there are any Clydes here who went from a 29er to a 27.5 and are loving it?

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A nimble bike is a lot of fun. I primarily ride 29ers but I still enjoy 26ers nimble/stiff/and quick handling. I also like feeling the trail more on them. My old 1999 FSR Comp is badass...I ride that thing like a raped ape on the trails.

I have demoed 2 27.5 bikes so far. What really stuck out about them is how invisible that wheels size feels. It doesn't feel too big like 29ers, nor too small like 26ers.

That imo is what Goldilocks is when it comes to wheelsize.

I am 5'9.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm coming off an xxl stumpy comp 29er onto the xl bronson 27.5. I like the wheel size a lot. It still rolls well, but feels more nimble. I find myself carrying a lot more speed into and through tighter sections. That said, I'm coming off a cadillac and into a sports car, so it's not even close to an apples to apples comparison. For what it's worth, I can still plow through the same terrain, but the new setup is incredibly playful. I'd say hit up a demo days and see for yourself.

Trail Cubist
    Looks like not many Clydes riding 27.5 these days! I'd like to try one, but I doubt I'll sell my 29er and rush out to get a 27.5.

Sounds like most of the reports suggest the 27.5 is a bit quicker and more nimble...but I've never felt like my 29er wasn't nimble enough—it's nimble enough to not want to sacrifice its freight-train-like ability to roll over anything. :-)

I'm guessing it depends on the trails you ride. Most trails I ride (and like best) are longer XC trails that don't require tight, fast turns...so i'm good with the freight train!

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

beater

I demoed a bunch a few years ago: Turner Burner, Intense 275, Rocky Altitude, Scott whatever it was, etc. Meh. I liked the Altitude, but for me it's a trade off between suspension travel and wheel size. I won't get a 650b with less than 160mm travel and whenever I do get a DH bike, that's the way I'll go. But for XC-AM, I still like the roll of a 29er.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I have demoed 2 27.5 bikes so far. What really stuck out about them is how invisible that wheels size feels. It doesn't feel too big like 29ers, nor too small like 26ers.

That imo is what Goldilocks is when it comes to wheelsize.
    I'm 5'10" and 230 and recently demoed a Heckler, and it was definitely impressed. You nailed it by saying that the 27.5 wheel does feel invisible, still nimble yet feels like it rolls over stuff almost as well as a 29er. I'm definitely saving my pennies to replace my 26" bike with a Heckler or a Bronson in a year or so.

JHH
    mtbr member
    I ride a SC TBc. Love it. 6' 240... I demo'd a Solo and a Bronson and ride them both on a trial I ride at least once a week.

Climbing: Noticeable difference in having less rolling resistance up. Not as brutal as going back to my 26" but going up I felt like I lost a gear and gained 15 lbs.

Descending: OK, sure the lower center of gravity felt great. But the bike didn't blow me away. Nor did it allow me any more balls/skills then my TB does. I didn't like the slow feeling of the Bronson (that's due to geometry though) much at all.

I admit that when I got back on my TBc it felt tall for a few rides. Then I changed my rear tire to match the all Ardent set-up the Solo I rode had.....changed my riding position a bit and my bike felt even better than the Solo did. With 29r you have more contact patch and am railing out of those same corners with Wagon Wheel rolling resistance. Faster, smoother, more stoked.

In the end, I'm sticking with 29 and upgrading to carbon rims instead of a smaller wheel. Speed is flow!
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm 6'2" 230 and have been riding a 26er for 28 years. I have four in my stable. I went from being a BMX riding teenager to a 26" riding MTBer a looong time ago. A few years ago I test rode a couple 29ers and hated the top-heavy, riding on a tall horse feel and handling (perceived anyway). In fairness, I ride smaller frames than I should too because I like to whip my bikes around like a BMXer. I can see the benefits of the 29ers and kind of feel puny when I'm riding next to them and I'm eye-level with their rear ends! I also can't keep up on straightaways but I can carve the corners and handle certain obstacles better, but others worse.

Long and short of it...the 27.5 has me intrigued enough to consider it after all these years....the 15-20 year old Trek and Specialized stable mates may get jealous though.

mtbr member
    The 650b really shines on long rides with varying terrains. With my 29er I loved the contact patch but did not love the handling. I loved the snappyness of my 26er but did not like it through rough and rocky climbs. The 650b just feels natural, like what a mountain bike wheel should have been long ago. To me they climb well AND handle well. i ride trail/all mountain though. If I only raced XC I would stick with 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just recently tacoed a 29er front wheel going off a drop on my Cannondale Scalpel, so my confidence in the 29" wheel size for a big rider (230 with gear, 6'2) has been shaken a bit. Granted it was also the cheapo machine-built OEM wheel that came on my Scalpel 3, so I realize that the build was probably a factor, but now that my riding has evolved to a point where I'm getting both wheels off the ground a bit more frequently and doing some faster descents, I'm switching to 27.5. I think it'll be a reasonable trade-off between the advantages of a 29er and the stronger/stiffer build of a smaller wheel.

beater

Quote Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
    I just recently tacoed a 29er front wheel going off a drop on my Cannondale Scalpel, so my confidence in the 29" wheel size for a big rider (230 with gear, 6'2) has been shaken a bit. Granted it was also the cheapo machine-built OEM wheel that came on my Scalpel 3, so I realize that the build was probably a factor, but now that my riding has evolved to a point where I'm getting both wheels off the ground a bit more frequently and doing some faster descents, I'm switching to 27.5. I think it'll be a reasonable trade-off between the advantages of a 29er and the stronger/stiffer build of a smaller wheel.
    OEM XC wheels was absolutely the factor, far more than wheel size. I'm bigger than you, and I subject my wheels to drops and high speed rocks frequently. Having wheels built for the intended use is important regardless of the diameter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    OEM XC wheels was absolutely the factor, far more than wheel size. I'm bigger than you, and I subject my wheels to drops and high speed rocks frequently. Having wheels built for the intended use is important regardless of the diameter.
    ...And my Project 321 Lefty hubs laced to Flow EX rims are on the FedEx truck now.

That said, I do think my longer-travel bike will be a 27.5, unless the Specialized Enduro blows my mind the way everyone says it will.

beater

Those should be a considerable improvement!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Those should be a considerable improvement!
    Yeah. Looking forward to it for sure. Still think I'll wait for my new bike before planning any trips to Whistler, though.