mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Any clydes done Leadville 100 or an other endurance races

I signed up for the Leadville 100 lottery as motivation and was wondering if any clydes have done Leadville. If not Leadville maybe some other endurance races that clydes have done.

Just looking to see what kind of experiences people had.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    One year soon I want to do the Karapoti Classic (www.karapoti.co.nz). Only 50km but pretty grueling. Dave Wiens even came down and did it one year.

mtbr member
    I have done a few 50 milers over the past few years. Signed up for the Pisgah 111K in May, which is going to kick my butt. Maybe if I train hard enough, I won't be a clyde by then - 15 pounds to go. Also doing the Big Frog 65 in April.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Orly as a roadie...

mtbr member
    last year I signed up for a 12 hour duo for the wausau 24 mtn bike race in Wausau, WI. This year my same partner and I are signed up for the full 24 hours. Last year it was about the most fun I've ever had mtn biking and it was the most gruelling. This year it's twice as long so I don't know what to expect. My partner is not a clyde so he gets to enjoy longer gaps of rest while waiting for me to do my laps. Hopefully my training plan will give me the results I want so that is not the case.

mtbr member
    Yep - Did it back in the 1997 no lottery and only 500 racers. Now it's 1500+ racers (I think). It's tough, it's high, and you climb lots.
    Post some specific questions or send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out.

Hope you get in. When do they let you know?

This year I signed up for The Tour Divide Race.
    Woody

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    Yep - Did it back in the 1997 no lottery and only 500 racers. Now it's 1500+ racers (I think). It's tough, it's high, and you climb lots.
    Post some specific questions or send me a PM and I'll do my best to help you out.

Hope you get in. When do they let you know?

This year I signed up for The Tour Divide Race.
    Woody
    Thanks for all the responses, Feb 15 is the date they will let you know if you made it. I got out of mountain biking around 1997 until about just recently. I can still remember reading an article about Leadville back then and thinking some day I am going to do that.

Hopefully its this year if not I'll keep trying

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

well sort of.....

I tried the Mohican 100 last year. I had a severe pull / tear in my quad 10 days before the race and it really started limiting me about 25 miles in. I was riding my single speed, but honestly I don't think it would have mattered. 10 hours of fun before I got pulled from the course.

Don't let being a clyde hold you back! I tried and failed at the Mohican, bit it was still one of the most fun and rewarding experiences I've had. I'm on the light end of the clyde spectrum, but there were a lot of guys my size and bigger. Just go and enjoy the challenge and the great atmosphere!
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have done the Butte 50 twice...DNF first time, finished this past year. Weighed 206ish I think on race day. Wow it was hard. No idea about Leadville, but I would suggest try a 50 or some other shorter race to figure it all out first. Fueling and pacing are the most important issues I feel. It was pretty eye opening to have to drop out less than 4 hours in during my first try. But I learned more than enough in those 4 hours about what had to change to at least finish. It is addictive I think....I can't wait to do it again! And it motivates the hell out of me to go ride. Do it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    did it quite a few years ago when i was racing but i wasn't quite a clyde then 175 at 6'5" was a very good time i hope to be strong and light enough to try and run it again in a few years or I'll just try and volunteer my nmbp skills and enjoy the race.

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Planning on a 20 and a 50 this year I think, with a 100 next year...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post
    I tried the Mohican 100 last year. I had a severe pull / tear in my quad 10 days before the race and it really started limiting me about 25 miles in. I was riding my single speed, but honestly I don't think it would have mattered. 10 hours of fun before I got pulled from the course.

Don't let being a clyde hold you back! I tried and failed at the Mohican, bit it was still one of the most fun and rewarding experiences I've had. I'm on the light end of the clyde spectrum, but there were a lot of guys my size and bigger. Just go and enjoy the challenge and the great atmosphere!
    I thought about the doing the Mohican100 this year but June is just to busy for me. Since Mohican isn't to far from me I might try my own personal 100 some weekend this summer.
    Last edited by 837MilkMan; 02-13-2012 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    I think that finding out in January and having 6 months to train is incentive to not be a clyde when the race gets here! Three friends and I signed up and find out Wednesday if we're in or not. It'll be the first thing I have ever done really like this. I have done a 100 on road bike but not mtb.

I figure on doing a bunch of climbing to train.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Central Oregon 500

I qualify as Clyde, and am hosting this fund raising rodie ride week in Bend Or 6/4-6/8 2012

Central Oregon 500

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I have done one 18hr and one 24hr in the past. I will be doing one 13hr this years and one other unique format endurance this year for sure. If I can I will squeeze in one more endurance race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm signed up for 100k in Fort Worth on the 12th. Never done any endurance racing before so I don't know what to expect. It's not all mountain though. There will be a 35 or so miles of cinder road/bike path I think. At 265 I'm just trying to finish it. I'm sure I will.

How did some of you guys do on these longer runs?