Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

any 300lbs riders on...if so what bike.

i have been on before asking this question.
    the reason i am asking again is because i made the wrong choice and killed a bike.
    a gary fisher fat possum. snapped the rear shock mount clean off.

so what bike should a 6ft4 300lbs rider use for general rocky, rutted, rooty riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

big dudes on bikes-part 1

i think big folks should stick mostly with steel frames.I don't know how much you want to spend,so I can't recommend any thing right now---zarr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

fs,hardtail,or rigid?

full suspension,hardtail,or rigid? Or two or all 3 ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

any 300lbs

something with 5/6 inch on the rear, like a eermm possum

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uk ton
    something with 5/6 inch on the rear, like a eermm possum
    Until I got down to my present weight of 275lbs, I had A Specialized Enduro with Fox Float and it is still in perfect condition...I probably weighed in the 350lb range when it was my main ride. I now ride a Titus Motolite and an Indy Fab SS 29er Steel. No problems

mtbr member
    I'm over 300 pounds and ride a Banshee Chaparral, I rode a Specialized Enduro SL and an Ibex Atlas Pro. The stiffness of the Banshee frame is incredible. It is heavy at around 12 lbs with the shock, but would not hesitate to recommend it to a 300 pound rider. Just leave it in 6" mode for a good leverage ratio and get an 800# spring from Fox. The geometry is good for AM but is built freeride tough, an XL frame should fit you nicely, I have a large and I'm 6'3" and it is right at the edge of being too small for me.

You can probably find a good deal on an '06 or '07 closeout if you look around. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ride a Nomad. I weigh 300lbs, riding weight is probably 310-320.

I used to ride a Heckler, but it was too flexy in the rear so I sent it back. The Nomad is better, but also squishier.

I have a Fox DHX 5.0 with a 700lb 2.5" spring, and I get too much sag. I've cranked the preload down pretty far, so I get better sag, but I must avoid big hits with this setup.

I ordered a 750# spring for a Manitou METEL shock for my DHX; hopefully it will work better than my Fox spring. I looked into getting a spring made, but it's expensive and sounds like it might not work right.

Other bikes that I've been looking into:

1.) Banshee Rune. Pretty much the same leverage ratio as the Nomad, but I think Fox makes 800lb coils that will fit on the rune. That could be a really good solution. Plus they make an XL with a 25" top tube.

2.) Turner RFX. Pretty much the same advantages of the Rune -- 2.25" shock stroke, good sizing. Comes in an XXL size w/a 26" ETT! I guess a fair number of people like Turners. Go figure.

3.) Ventana El Terremoto. Uses Quad bearings on the rear for extra stiffness. Famous for their craftsmanship.

4.) Foes FXR 2:1. Probably the most interesting bike from a design perspective. 2:1 leverage ratio, huge shock. With a 2:1 ratio I'd be interested in using an air shock -- not so much on any of these other bikes. I'd love to test ride an FXR.

5.) Knolly Delerium. A very nice, very expensive all-mountain frame. Very stiff rear end, good climber, good descender.

mtbr member
    How about this? Certainly not the cheapest option, but you probably won't find a stronger 5" travel bike.

http://www.moots.com/#/product/bicycles/mtb/cinco/

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good day guys.I ride a turner 6 pack with 5.3 swing link and fox dhx5.0 with 800lbs coils.It works for me.I use to have intense 5.5 and the rear is too flexy for us big rider.I second beanfink recommendations.Have fun on the trail uk ton.

mtbr member
    6'4" at #270, ride a heckler.... suspended by air both ends....

the back flex was reduced to nuthin' by a 10mm thru axel... dig it...

been through plenty of rear shocks... swinger three way lasted the longest... cane creek cloud nine did well too though.... currently with a DHXAir 5.0 for that extra 1/4"... jury still out on that one.... don't know if it is the shock or my fat arse, but too many settings to play with make it more difficult to set-up... I keep hitting bottom, but I am not giving up on it yet.

trick to air and big riders is volume- bigger volume less issues.... the cloud nine was a good shock because of this, I ran it at 250psi, and when shock was compressed it was still just a tick or two over 300psi.... swinger 3 way is smaller volume, but didn't require as much pressure.... at 215psi main chamber, but when compressed it was a tick or two under 300psi, so you can see the difference volume makes...

forks I have run are Man-Minute 140mm, and Nixon 145mm- both air sprung. High pressures to keep from hitting bottom and have lasted well....trick here is make certain and use a thru-axle... My God the difference is astounding when thru axles are used front and back! truth be told though, biggest drop I have hit is 3-4' to flat.... the bike made it, but I try not to make a habit out of it....

The Heckler is a good choice imHo.... Just make sure and take that extra step to stiff'n it up by using thru-axels....

Captain Underpants
    If money is no object, the following would do:

Knolly Endorphin
    Ventana Terremoto

I was going to suggest a Transition, but no XL frame sizes. And the Banshee Rune looks good too.

Whatever bike you choose, you are going to have issues with the rear shock at your weight. Most guys in your weight class ride a coil shock with a 700-800 Lb. spring, so you will want to spec/order a larger coil (and make sure it will fit your frame).

Good luck!

Making fat cool since '71
    When I was 300+ I was on a 2003 Heckler. It was reliable. It had a ton, a ton of brake jack, but withstood my fat butt. Coil suspension for me. The Turners will treat you well also. I've had two ('06 SixPack and '08 RFX) and they are both tough.

Coil suspension is my preference.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member

Santa Cruz Chameleon

I am 6'2" and 300lbs I ride a santa cruz Chameleon for almost 4 years now and I love it every time i get on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im 6'1 300lbs I plan getting a Specialized Enduro SL when I get the money together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Kona Hoss.

My friend is 325 lbs without gear and he has whipped that bike into some nasty situations and it has kept coming back for more.

I want one so bad!

Are you talking to me?

Ummm, no. I dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k
    How about this? Certainly not the cheapest option, but you probably won't find a stronger 5" travel bike.

http://www.moots.com/#/product/bicycles/mtb/cinco/

Generally speaking, Ti frames are not for 300 pounders, afaic.

The Knolly , Banshee, or Ventana with quad bearings are worth looking at. I think Turner makes a XXL frame also.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastTrash
    im 6'1 300lbs I plan getting a Specialized Enduro SL when I get the money together.
    Don't do it I demo'd one, quite possibly the worst bike I have ridden for a big dude. At 300 psi I was getting about 40% sag and it felt like a pogo stick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    Don't do it I demo'd one, quite possibly the worst bike I have ridden for a big dude. At 300 psi I was getting about 40% sag and it felt like a pogo stick.
    What about the Specialized Pitch? they say its like the Enduro but has its differences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm stuck around 320. Down from 384 (1 1/2) ago. I'm 6'2"

My rides

07 Yeti DJ (Park and Dirt jump) deetracks,DJ2 fork and Saints cranks, Single speed)

04 Santa Cruz Bullit (w/ new manitou swinger 6 way) Soon to be 07 AM1 fork, Mavic x321 wheelset and Shimino lx cranks xt shifter/der.

04 Azonic Eliminator (With original bullit 5th element) Marz 06 66 rc2x, FSA moto-x gravity cranks. Transition revolution wheelset.

mtbr member
    well, I'm going to sound like a lightweight on here but I'm a decent 245 (before gear) at 6'2" and I've been searching for a new rig for four months. I've narrowed it down to a bike that through my own research and understanding, would be the best choice for years come (based on my riding style and wants vs needs). I believe in my gut that it would suit my needs....b/c I want it :

Knolly Delirium T

Of course it's one of the most (if not the most) pricey frames on the market for AM right now. Like I said, I've been looking for a new sled for a little while now and saved up but if you do have the funds for that frame, do yourself a flavor, put it on your short list. The customer service alone is surpass everything I've experienced in 10 years of mountain biking.

I ride a Titus Loco Moto right now and loved it for years but my riding style and weight have put me over the edge on that bike. It doesn't give me the confidence I once had after braking a few Pivot bolts among other things.
    Go over to the Knolly forum and check out the rides and talk. Be careful, that's how I started.

mtbr member
    look at a Transition Preston FR, dhx 5 long stroke so good for larger coils. Im about 340lbs atm and if i could afford it, id be on a Preston.

Currently on a Hoss, great bike but i hate the colour lol
    Kona Hoss '06 - Stone chipped allready!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1047276/

mtbr member
    What? No love for the 29ers around here? I'm your height, but a bit heavier and ride an XL Niner SIR9 setup as a SS. The fork is a 100mm Reba and is a bit flexy, but other than that, the bike is freakin' awesome. The SIR9 can be setup either with gears or as a single speed. I'm a masochist, so I crunch my way up the hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastTrash
    What about the Specialized Pitch? they say its like the Enduro but has its differences.
    It has the same leverage ratio as the Enduro with an air shock, although a higher volume air shock than the Spesh AFR on the Enduro might not be too bad with that leverage ratio. I however have learned that at 300 pounds you really need to go with a coil in the back. Looks like the Pitch doesn't use proprietary suspension components which IMO is a very good thing considering how many issues people have had with the Enduro SL suspension.

Although for 2700 bucks the component spec on the Pitch Pro is pretty crappy.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=34145

I'm sorry but for nearly 3 grand I expect more than Juicy 3s and X5/Deore components with an X9 and LX piece mixed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

300lbs rider

cheers guys, looked at all the idea's you all put forward.

in the end i have gone for a 08 heckler in xl. black too.
    with a dhx5 custom shock. 800lbs spring.
    i dont want it too soft, might be a too big a step after 20 years on a h/tail.
    pikes up front dual air with poploc.
    will keep you posted after i have given it a good testing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

800?

uk ton,

What kind of spring are you getting for this DHX 5?

I've looked everywhere for an 800# spring with 2.55" of travel that's compatible with the DHX 5, but no luck.

The stiffest one Fox makes is 700#

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast