mtbr member

another recommendation: 225#, 5'11" $1000

I'm helping my brother decide what to buy. He is 5'11", 225#. He doesn't ride offroad a lot yet but wants to. His budget is a little thin ($1000 or so) so probably best to have solid frame and upgrade parts that break.

The Specialized bikes (available at many LBS) seem well reviewd for Clyeds. Not sure what else hits the price point.

Making fat cool since '71

Since it all "depends"...

Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    I'm helping my brother decide what to buy. He is 5'11", 225#. He doesn't ride offroad a lot yet but wants to. His budget is a little thin ($1000 or so) so probably best to have solid frame and upgrade parts that break.

The Specialized bikes (available at many LBS) seem well reviewd for Clyeds. Not sure what else hits the price point.
    I'll save brand advice and just advise that at the $1K price point (which in truth a grand is a chunk of change for a lot of folks) stick to hardtails and you can truly get a great bike that shouldn't need any upgrades for quite some time. If he goes FS *maybe* the frame will be decent, but it's a dpromise the bulk of the bits will be shite (or at best, shite-ish). I can't resist, sorry: Kona (Hoss), Giant (can't remember), Cove, Azonic (Steelhead) all kick arse and can be built for under a grand if you are clever or just spend some time surfing the ads. The Azonic is sexy too. Good luck and good riding.

Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You can get a rim-brake 2006 Specialized FSR-XC for $1050. It's got mostly deore components, which I consider to be the lowest level that can actually take serious trail use/abuse. The frame is good, with comfortable full suspension that doesn't Po-go like full suspension bikes of yore. If your brother really gets into the sport, he can upgrade the bike and not be wasting money (the frame is worth putting good components on). Specialized also has a great warranty.

I have an '04 FSR-XC that I've ridden 3-4 times a week on everything from paved bicycle paths to rocky trails with 1-2' drop-offs. I also frequently ride in hub-deep water. The bike held up in stock form for 2 years before I started to wear out some of the lower-end components (notably the rear hub). I put $60 into a new XT hub and relaced the original rim & spokes (the XT has the same flange height as the M475), and $150 into avid BB5 disc brakes. That's basically been it aside from tires, chains, and lube. The front fork is pretty flexy ('04 had a manitou axel) and I'd like to replace the crankset with a hollowtec II, but I really don't *need* to replace either right now. I don't think I'll retire this bike for another 4 years -- which really is quite a long time for a frequently used full-suspension mountain bike...

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat

Clyde + $1000 = Kona Hoss

My $0.02.

Patrick

I endorse self propulsion
    definitely check out the Rockhopper. I would even go Rockhopper Comp Disc.($850) The discs go a long way towards stopping bigger guys, and the components on the comp are pretty decent. I'm 220 myself and have been riding a comp disc for 6 months and have no complaints, exept for maybe my lower back after longer rides, but if comfort is his first priority, go with a full susp rig.
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

mtbr member
    I have a 2006 Novara Ponderosa HT. I weigh 235lbs and have no problems on it (and I ride pretty hard). $850 (unless you score one of the many sales REI has, like I did - got mine 20% off)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a large GED or Jack 2/3. The frames are beefy and stiff. The components are killer. The GED uses an air fork, 8" discs up front, Ryhno Lites, beefy crank(w/bash guard). I'm 5'9" and around 275(but losing) and it's tough enough for me. The only problem I forsee is the seat post. I'm still not sold on the Bontrager. It just doesn't seem that great. When it breaks/bends, I'll spring for a Thomson or Planet-X...

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by HatchetMan
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a large GED...
    I'd actually second this. I rented a Gary Fisher Bitter (the model below the GED) when I visited Ray's MTB park in Cleveland and it was a very solid bike. A little heavy, but I banged it around a bit and it didn't squeal at all. Just another option to check out, especially if he's planning jump or huck the thing.

Patrick

Fat, but working on it...
    If it were me, I'd look for a used bike. It's nice to buy something right out of the showroom, but you can find a much better bike (better frame, better suspension, better components) for the same money buying used. A friend just bought a Klein Attitude with XTR everything, Mavic wheels, SID fork, etc. for $400 off Ebay...

Freshly Fujified

Buy a beefy hardtail

Hoss, Hoss Delux or Rockhopper disc as mentioned are all good places to start. look for frames that are gusseted, deploy oversized tubing for strength. Don't buy anything with a sub-standard fork (e.g something with stanchions less than 30mm, or anything with coil/mcu damping), and make sure it has a sturdy wheelset. The drivetrain components are obviolsuly important, but the frame, fork and wheels will always be the most expensive to upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery