mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Another big guy new to Mtb

Hi all.
    I new to the forum and new to the mnt bike world. I have been reading and searching allot the last few day. I'm impressed with all the success story's I have read about weight loss. I am very interested in getting started and have a few questions.
    Im not sure if I need a medium or large frame bike? I am 5'11" and about 310lbs, I have a 30" inseam. I am looking at the Trek Mamba as a first bike. I have read that the brakes are not the greatest but what im wondering, is with a rider as heavy as I am, are the fork sufficient? Is there another bike I should consider more?
    I like the Trek fuel also but i'd rather not spend that much cash on a first bike. I'd like to stay in the 1000 to 1200 range if possible since i need to buy gear as well.

Any info would be great. Ohh and i am going to be riding flat trails most of the time with a little downhill and a little distance as well.

Thanks
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    No takers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trek is fine but I would say no Less than the Cobia. The recon silver air fork will serve your size much better. Otherwise the fork would need to be one of your first upgrades. Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks I like the cobia as well. Is there a risk of blowing the air fork with a heavy guy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I guess anything is possible , but I don't see why that would happen. You will be no where near the max psi of the fork. I'm 290# and ride a Trek Stache 7 with a 120mm recon silver solo air and it works great. Now on the other hand the Non air forks will need to custom tuned springs installed to work properly at your weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Right on!

Super Clyde
    I doubt you will do any damage to the fork on a Trek Cobia. I have a RS Tora(probably pretty close to what a Recon Silver is these days) from about 6 years ago and at almost 370 pounds I didn't do any damage to it. That was riding on the street and gravel greenways. Now at 350 pounds I'm picking up a new bike to start riding some actual off road trails.