mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Analyse this... and let me know what you think

Hi guys, and thank you for the great educative forms. I never thoughts the two wheels thing could have all that complications

Ok, here it is, I am Super super clydesdale (about 400Lb) and didn't cycle in my life up to few months ago (a super protective family... yes i know!). I am now in my early 40S (it makes me feel younger saying it that way!!)

Earlier this year i decided to take control on my weight. I have read carefully in this forum and decided to go with weight proof bicycle that can take a serious beating (under my wight). It was a HT MTB with semi-slick tyres. So i swallowed the plunge and bout a Rockhopper 2013. It worked like a charm. No major incidence. Off course i was cycling very responsibly no major pumpers and give the bike its space when it asks for it with a strange squawks :-). I took a lot of falls till I did it right ( on asphalt only not even close to off-roads). The only incidence was that the spokes of the rare wheel went out of tensions (all of them were loose at once) after i had a quick downhill that i couldn't control. Last week after i celebrated my first strait 7.4 miles (i know it might sound pathetic but i did celebrate it), my bike got stolen. Luckily the insurance kicked in and i got a new pike where i upgraded to Rockhopper pro. The freewheel managed to get broken just after the first hour :-)

Now my question... I am in the market again for a new bike (I am 6.1 with the weight that i am not going to repeat here :-) ) Do you think a cyclocross (as i am doing only asphalt) would be a good choice? or just go back to HT MTB??

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    In a word, no, I don't think a cross bike would be a better choice for you. The thing you are most likely to have trouble with on any bike is going to be the wheels, and wheels on a cross bike are basically the same as on a roadie, not as strong as a 26" mtb with a 135mm rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you Joules... Roger that :-) MTB HT it is

mtbr member
    Im a Superclyde like you and I found that the wheels are a major issue for guys our size. I ride a 29er hard tail and so far so good on the factory rims but I am looking on upgrading them next year. Im going to go Chris King Hubs in a 36 spoke count and a Stans rim. I wanted to go FS eventually but lets face it, Unless Monroe or Bilstein is going to make a shock for a bike in the near future its just not in the cards.The shocks just are NOT built to take our weight
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    Unless Monroe or Bilstein is going to make a shock for a bike in the near future its just not in the cards.The shocks just are NOT built to take our weight
    Ahhh - but Fox make shocks for trucks and offroad use as well.

Stick to HT - it does make sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Agreed, stick to HT. Best things to change would be the rear wheel and the fork. A rigid fork would be ideal for your riding.

mtbr member
    Great job aadlan. Stay with this no matter what. Consistency is the thing. Ride as much as you can, but don't go out and kill yourself each ride.

Guys like you are an inspiration.