XC rider

Am I a Sandbagger?

Looking for feedback on if I should not race Clydesdale?

I'm 6 Feet 1 inches tall currently weigh 204 to 206 depending on the time of day. I've always been over two hundred since getting out of the military 10 years ago except during the last two summers when I got heavily into roadie training. I was able to drop down to around 195 to 198 for a time. I raced last season at this weight as a middle of the pack sport racer.

I just raced my first race as a clyde 34yrs and under. I finished 1 first out of 3 and I think 3rd out of about 10 if you count the over 35 year olds. I weighed in at 206 before the race. Felt great about my performance and the race.

Is it ok for me to be racing in the 200+ clyde cat or is 204-206 too close and I am sandbagging?
    ccorc.org

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Leme see here. If a clyde is 200+ and you are 204 to 206 your good. Someone has to win!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...if you're winning EVERY TIME then i wouldn't say your sand bagging but faster then the other big guys ... if thats the case you might want to bump cats for the challenge... especialy if you're getting up to the eqiv non fattie cat
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Making fat cool since '71
    Rules say (used to say) 200 pounds...you are a clyde.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

local trails rider
    Then, on the other hand, are you feeling that winning is too easy? That could get boring.

Optimum Value
    you could be heavy, then you could be ripped. Even though you weigh around 200 pounds, I would just go into cat3 or cat2. As long as you are in good shape, and have a good training program, there should be no prob.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How close behind were 2nd and 3rd place? If you aren't totally smoking them then I'd say you're fine.

29 some of the time...
    You are legit. Don't sweat it. Enjoy racing. If you find that you are creaming the clydes at every race for a season, then I would say to move onto the standard sport class and see how the next season goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you even have to ask, you're probably in the wrong class.

In the rear with the beer
    Technically, you are fine. But if you are blowing away everybody, then you may want to not race clyde just for to challenge yourself if anything. But if its been competitive races in the clyde class, then by all means stay in clyde
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

In the rear with the beer
    when the other clyde racers start whispering to each other or rolling their eyes when they see you at the line up...then you may think about switching out....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yoda2 is right. How far behind where the other riders? I am 6' 240 lbs and 43 years old. In 2007 I won the SERC series and The Alabama State Championship race in the Clydesdale class. I had started off finishing in around 5th place but as the season went on I got much better. In 2008 I only race 2 races in that series and beat the points leaders in both races. Also in 2008 I raced in the clydesdale division at the Alabama State Championship (I was so worried about losing that race I left everything out there) finished over 10 minutes ahead of the next guy back. I though " wow i have just become a sandbagger". I am taking my 240lbs. and moving into sport. It may be mid pack finishes but then again if I hit the Podium. I will have 3 beers that night.

Thank a Soldier Today
    Thanks for the topic thread.

I'm in the same position sitting at 202 lbs right now.

I'm in the Beginner class considering the Clydesdale wondering if I would be a "sandbagger".

I suspect since I only finished middle of the pack in the beginner class last year, the Clydesdale's will have something to teach ME this year.

What about my weight fluctuations? What if I'm weighing in at 197 at some point in the year. Is there a weigh in every race? Is there a weigh in @ the beginning of the year and is that the official yearly weigh in and it doesn't matter if you fluctuate?

I don't lose weight easily but I suspect races and training this summer will cause some. If I have to drink a few extra beers and eat a few extra slices of pizza Friday night to keep at 200, I'm not complaining.

I could be 180 if I really wanted; I got it to lose but I would have to change my lifestyle e.g. beers when I wanted and I would be in the top end of the sport class someday not doing very well at all against those skinny boys. Not sure if I want that when I feel pretty good at the weight I am now.
    "Named must your fear be before banish it you can." -Yoda
    08 GF X-Cal
    08 GF Superfly (A Fisher called Wanda Su)

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    every larger race i've been to, the guys on the podium in the clyde class were all 6'5 and ripped. their times would have placed/beaten the sport class, and been competitive (top 25% of expert), those guys were sandbagging, at least a little. unless you're destroying the field every race, you're fine.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/