mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Am I to heavy for this fork?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and to mountain biking in general. I've been slowly upgrading my bike over the past couple months to help deal with my weight,(250lbs). I bought an X-fusion Velvet RL, and after going through the owners manual I found there was not a rider weight/ PSI chart that went over 200lbs. Which brings me to the question, Am i to heavy for this fork? I'm a pretty agressive rider and I rode BMX as a kid, so i'm a little worried about this fork and wondering if it can take it.

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rl

Quote Originally Posted by DanUnk
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, and to mountain biking in general. I've been slowly upgrading my bike over the past couple months to help deal with my weight,(250lbs). I bought an X-fusion Velvet RL, and after going through the owners manual I found there was not a rider weight/ PSI chart that went over 200lbs. Which brings me to the question, Am i to heavy for this fork? I'm a pretty agressive rider and I rode BMX as a kid, so i'm a little worried about this fork and wondering if it can take it.

thanks
    Personally, I wouldn't trust any XC for for agressive riding.
    That said, aggressive is subjective - for intended purpose, it'd probably be an OK fork.
    But, why use a suspension fork that isn't designed to handle your weight? It can't possibly be giving you the best performance.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Former Bike Wrench
    Contact X-Fusion, IME they are very helpful and will give you the information you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This is a link for the pdf of the inst. manual.
    http://www.diymtb.com.au/userfiles/file/Velvet%20R%20user's%20manual.pdf

Underskilled
    Not sure if you are wanting to have the obvious pointed out, so please ignore the next statement if not.

You are a heavy guy - therefore you want to buy a fork stronger than it's designed purpose.
    You ride aggressively - so you need something stiff to stop the front wheel deflecting.

You bought a lightweight XC fork.

You have the wrong tool for the job.

If it is still new, I would try and return it. If you please with X-Fusion they might let you exchange it for a Vengeance.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    So to summarize, the short answer is yes.

The long answer is it totally depends on what "aggressive" is.

On a side note, reading your thread title made me think of "I'm too sexy."

I'm
    too heavy for this fork
    too heavy for this fork
    so heavy it squiiirrrrttttsssss

Oil
    past the O-rings
    past the O-rings

I can't think of anything that fits and rhymes with "o-rings."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by H3LlIoN
    So to summarize, the short answer is yes.

The long answer is it totally depends on what "aggressive" is.

On a side note, reading your thread title made me think of "I'm too sexy."

I'm
    too heavy for this fork
    too heavy for this fork
    so heavy it squiiirrrrttttsssss

Oil
    past the O-rings
    past the O-rings

I can't think of anything that fits and rhymes with "o-rings."
    Thats really funny, I love fat guy hummor.

On a serious note, since I'm a newbe at MTB stuff, and after reading alot on this forum, I realize my riding style really isn't aggressive. I don't take the bike off drops, or jump really high like I see younger guys doing on pump tracks. I just like to go fast on the sweeping corners and get into the flow of a good track, an all mountain fork is totally overkill for me.
    CaveGiant Thanks for pointing out the obvious, it made me really ask myself, Am i aggressive, the answer sadly is, not really. After talking to a couple guys at the local bike shop, i think this fork will do just fine. Thanks for all the good feedback guys, its awesome to be on this forum with so make experienced clydesdale riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just for the record I'm on a Fox 32 F-29. And at 250lbs I'm off the chart. You've got the right idea. just ride it. If it doesn't keep you happy move onto somehting else.