mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Air Shock/Fork Pressure

Any Clydes running a Fox Float R shock and/or Fox 32 F125RL fork?

I just picked up a 2011 Giant Trance X and set the shock to 250PSI (100% of Body Weight) and 60% of my weight in PSI in the fork.

The shock sag is right about where it needs to be and the fork is close but could sag a little more to be around 20%.

Either way these pressures seem to be pretty excessive. I'm coming from a hardtail and my Trance rides pretty stiff comparably. Don't get me wrong it still soaks up the bumps but seems like the recommended pressure setting work more for lighter guys and not so linear for us Clydes.

Do you guys run the prescribed pressure or close to it? Or do you end up running much lower pressures?

- Pete

local jackass
    I just kept playing with the pressure till got to it how I liked it on my rockshoxs recon should be similar.
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Personal preference

It seems like the factory-prescribed shock pressures are just a guideline. I have a Specialized Epic wipth the same rear shock as you, run it at the same psi, and weigh 50 lbs less than you. Not sure whats in the Reba fork, but it certainly is over what the recommendations were for the set-up. The factory set-ups seem to just give a psi number for "over 200 pounds," for example, which doesnt provide much help or variation. There's usually a maximum limit, and a lot of room in between to play around with. What terrain do you ride? I do XC, technical single track, no big hucks or major DH around here, and I also race, so prefer a stiffer ride. It still soaks it up, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    johnny500,
    I run a mix match of technical XC single type trails. Some decent downhill but nothing like a downhill specific mountain during Summer at the ski resports. Whats odd is I had to go way under the 60% of body weight in PSI on my front Fox forks. I think I ended up using 90PSI to get close to 25% sag. 60% said I should go around 156PSI. The rear shock I ended up doing 240PSI(I weight 260lbs geared up) this put me at about 30% sag. Which is cool with me since it seems to be much more small bump compliant then at 250-260PSI.