mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Air fork for 260# clyde?

I'm the 260 lbs clyde in question. I need a new fork for my 26" HT and am interested in the RS Recon TK Solo Air that a few outlets have on sale now. I like the idea of an air shock for not needing to buy firmer springs. But I'm worried I'll have to run air pressure so high, it'll cause problems. Can anyone confirm or deny that concern?
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm about 265 and only run a prerssure of 135 on my Recon. The fork is on a Scott Scale 29 Comp with a Flow EX wheelset.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I run anywhere from 255 to 275 lately (currently toward the high of that range :~/ ), and I will deny that concern. Several air forks perform wonderfully for bigguns of our size. My current favorite is the Manitou Minute/Tower Pro, although even the Expert (and Comp - OEM) models perform VERY well if that is where your budget lies. IMHO, for a fork from Rock Shox that even has a chance to be comparable to those offerings from Manitou, you would need to look for one that is a "Gold" rather than "Silver" and has a Motion Control damper instead of the TK (TurnKey) type. Even then, I would favor the current Manitou offerings. JMHO. The RS solo air forks can also handle you easily and perform quite well if that is what you want.

The lowest I have seen the Recon Silver Solo Air TK fork for is around the $230 - $250 range. If that is the max of your budget range, it will be hard to beat that Recon deal, but if you can stretch another $75 to $125, you can get a noticeably better and lighter fork IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys. Okay, I feel better about the air fork. Yeah, I've read about Manitou having a better damper than RS. Don't know if I'd notice the difference that much. Mostly, I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. And I need v-brake compatibility. On One has a Recon coil for $128 shipped to the US. Best deal I've seen any where for a 32mm stanchon fork. Not air, but maybe 90% the fork for half the price compared to RS Solo Air or Manitou Match? I'd still need a firmer spring, but I'd need to buy a pump for an air fork, so that's sort of a wash cost-wise. Just thinking out loud. Thanks for your input.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Running my recon silver at 175 LBS. Never bottom the thing out and have been thinking about going lower so I can use all of the fork.

301 LBS here.

Added a Argyle dampener and notice a big difference in my ability to control the bike over the rough stuff.
    Not only is my short term memory horrible, but so is my short term memory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was just about to PM you about my Frankenfork. Manitou Tower Expert with Clyde spring and 15mmTA. Only fork like it in the world.

Then I read back again and saw you are 26"...sorry!! I think the RECON is your best bet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Get a revelation with u-turn. Air it up to you liking and set the sag with the u-turn. I have done this one my hardtail and have it set at 105mm with the sag set.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I ran an '08 tora 318 soloair 29er without issues at 300+... at 80mm it was running a much higher PSI than I liked but when I moved to 100mm things got much more resonable
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've got a Recon Gold RL riding at 307#, I run at about 170psi and haven't had any issues with seals or bottoming out.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    310 here with a Reba Soloair.... 165psi and no problems on my Camber.
    Fat guys need bikes too.