mtbr member

Advise for next season upgrades.

Im torn atm. I can either spend money to finish upgrades to finish upgrading current 29er ht or buy a new one. Thing being I already have alot invested in current bike and barely be a full season on the bike.

Thought of new bike is dropping to 18"(manufacturer pending of course) frame instead of the 19" I have.

Me: 6'2", currently 275, hope to be between 250-260 by end of winter. Overall weight goal is 230-240 (down from 360 last year) Bike size choice isnt in question so dont need advise there.

Current Bike: '12 Trek Marlin 29er but only stock part is seatpost

XC32tk Fork- no complaints except flex causing rotor scrub at times

SLX 2x10 Driveline except crankset (Deore m590 2x bash)-love this set up but considering SLX crankset so matching rest.

avid bb7 brakes on 180mm- sometimes the noise but I can usually get rid of most of it easily enough when it starts getting bad

Alex dp20 wheels on slx m529 hubs- love these as well, not the toughest wheel but rear hub is first not $250+ hub that hasnt given me a single issue. Tacoed front wheel once due to stupidity, but found that building is time consuming but not hard to do when replacing rim ;p

Total have around $2k total investment in a $600 bike originally lol. Counting my 2 sets of tires, bars,stems etc.

Upgrade list comes based on I plan on racing novice/entry class for local circuit next season, just for fun with friends, excuse to travel to new trails and the t-shirt/socks XC Trails wont ride muddy conditions, damp to dry only unless snow (love riding when its 20degs out and packed snow on trails)

SLX Brakes with icetech rotors. Matches driveline and obviously much better brakes for XC riding at my weight.

Wheels: Thinking of possible Rim change to something like Stans FLow EXs or something similar thats stronger (provided not to much weight added over current wheelset)

->->->FORKS: This is the big one. Dont wanna spend stupid money on new forks. Leaning towards Manitou Tower pros atm. This is where Im unsure alot on. Want to stiffen my front end. From searching seems 15mm through axle will help alot (9mm qr atm) and figuring better forks will help too.

Requirements on Forks: Stiffness, 100mm travel, no heavier than my xc32tks but = to is ok. Also minimal maintenance, dont wanna spend $200 a season rebuilding air system, but expected every 2-3 seasons. EASE OF DIY SERVICE AND GETTING PARTS! I do all my own work unless its warranty stuff.

Forks are concern 1
    Brakes 2
    wheels 3 if I even worry about them beyond changing front hub.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Super Clyde

Advise for next season upgrades.

I'm not very good at interpreting frame geometry, but that's what it I should probably come down to. With as much money as you've spent, rather than buying a new bike, why not upgrade the frame and fork. JensonUSA has some good deals on Niner Air9 frames right now, and while you may have to buy a few extra things like BB and head set, you'd have a killer bike for a lot less than buying a whole new one.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    I know geo will change a tad with regular over g2 forks. More I think about it, forks and brakes is alot cheaper than replacing a bike thatll at least have the forks I want and geo. My understanding is basically regular offset forks would steepen the front a bit bringing some more low speed response in at minor loss of stability.

Just dont know if Manitou Towers are the way to go. Features arent my thing, lockout is nice, rebound and spring rate adjust. Dont need a plush ride, current fork has firmest spring I could get for it and with my 2.2 tires at proper pressure its enough for me, tires and arms/legs dampen enough for me. But i want forks I can get a bit more preload into (sag at my weight is a tad much) and forks I can service easily/get parts to service quickly if needed.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What do you want it to do that it doesn't do now? If you want to change something about the ride etc then keep looking, but you've not told us why you want another bike / upgrade anything.
    If you have ridden the components you have, keep riding them until they break. You'll gain almost nothing by upgrading for the sake of it, other than spending money when you don't need to.

mtbr member
    The thing I wanted to upgrade the most was the forks. Been riding this all season. My issue with them is the lack of stiffness to the fork itself. To much flex, causing rotor scrub issues at times.

Brakes, because of the so known noise they can make.
    Trek Marlin 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Then forks and brakes. Shimano brakes, forks with a 15 or 20mm axle. So you probably need a new front wheel to go with the forks as well. Minimum possible and save the money for the next breakage!

AZ
    banned
    Lefty fork conversion and SLX brakes, 180/160mm.

mtbr member
    lefty would be sweet but outta my range, married and kid and one on the way. Plus after this saving for a fatty purchase for winter riding. But that isnt a purchase till next fall. Saw a guy i ride with on occasion that has a fatty with a lefty on it, had me drooling,lol.

tootall- thnx was hoping I was on the right track. Found handbuilt wheel thats same rim with 15mm thru axle hub for a "quick fix". Then on that I can save for better wheelset to replace these when I destroy them. Just wasnt sure if it was worth it to upgrade this bike the rest of the way over just buying a new bike. But cant buy a comparable bike to this for what forks, wheel, brakes will cost. Something I thought about while typing this, finish this build, then i have all the parts for pretty much any frame so i could try as said, say a niner or something when I decide its time for a new bike without spending the money on a full bike.

Though on the new bike side i was considering AIRBORNE Seeker and swapping parts around, but that is cause geo seems common/close to others (niner etc) which also gives me better forks and the colors of the frame are sexy lol. But still gotta buy brakes...

Would be so much easier if changing paint on my trek didnt void frame warranty or any bike frame warranty for that matter.
    Trek Marlin 29er